Thread: WWE Wrestlemania 28 - Triple H vs The Undertaker - Hell in a Cell

Evil Admin.

Status

WWE Wrestlemania 28 - Triple H vs The Undertaker - Hell in a Cell

The Undertaker vs. Triple H (Hell in a Cell Match)
    By: John Clapp February 20, 2012
    Tags: WrestleMania XXVIII, Undertaker, Triple H

At WrestleMania XXVIII, two of the most decorated figures in WWE history, The Undertaker and Triple H, will engage in battle once more – this time, inside the diabolical Hell in a Cell. According to Triple H, when he and The Phenom exit the Cell on April 1, it will mark the end of an era.

After initially resisting The Deadman’s challenge to a WrestleMania rematch – dismissing it as bad for business – WWE COO Triple H has finally relented. If The Game succeeds in his years-long quest to end The Undertaker’s closely guarded WrestleMania Streak, he will have achieved the ultimate victory, to the perhaps-irreparable detriment of the esteemed Undertaker “brand.”

Hinging on this match are not only the professional legacies of two true icons, but also the future of WWE as a whole, Triple H claims.

Although there is always a temptation to write off terms such as “legacy” and “icon” as hyperbolic, in the case of The Phenom and The King of Kings, such deference is more than merited.

Their bodies of work speak for themselves. The Undertaker and Triple H have collectively logged 39 years in WWE rings. Combined, they account for a remarkable 20 WWE and World Heavyweight Championship reigns. There’s not a single major Superstar of the modern era – from WWE Hall of Famers Shawn Michaels and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin to future Hall of Famers The Rock and Mick Foley – who hasn’t fallen to The Phenom and The Game at one point or another.

With both battle-tested veterans in the twilight of their respective careers and a tinge of finality hanging in the air, The Undertaker and Triple H undoubtedly view WrestleMania XXVIII as an all-or-nothing equation. For The Phenom, it's about improving The Streak to an unparalleled 20-0, and keeping the one prize that has belonged only to him. As for The Game, he may never have another chance to snap The Streak and snare that one prize which has eluded him all these years.

Yet, when these two august legends collide inside The Deadman’s domain – a stipulation suggested by The Game – the paramount concern for both Superstars could well be survival.

The Hell in a Cell structure is a fitting venue, considering the histories of the participants involved. The Phenom and The Game have ventured inside the Cell more times than anyone else. Even though the heinous cage is most closely linked to The Undertaker – he fought HBK in the very first Hell in a Cell Match, in October 1997 – Triple H has actually proven more victorious, racking up a 6-2 record compared to The Undertaker’s 5-5-1 record.

The addition of the Cell will only intensify this war. Neither Superstar has been able to shake the physical and emotional aftereffects of their No Holds Barred Match at last year’s WrestleMania. Surviving both The Undertaker’s Tombstone and Last Ride, Triple H unleashed a Tombstone of his own – as well as three Pedigrees – before having to turn to his weapon of last resort, the sledgehammer. Yet as The Cerebral Assassin prepared to strike The Undertaker, The Phenom deftly maneuvered Triple H into his Hell’s Gate submission hold, ultimately forcing an exhausted Game – who knew he had reached his limit – to tap.

A year removed, The Undertaker remains vexed by that encounter’s final scene of medical personnel carting his battered body away from the ring. Since his return in January, The Deadman has been obsessed with destroying The Game and reasserting The Streak’s dominance. Triple H, who managed to walk away from the hellacious confrontation, is also unsatisfied, having come within a hair of achieving the unthinkable.

Adding another dimension to this contest is the giant disparity in how each competitor views The Streak. Nothing has served to deify The Phenom more than The Streak, and as such, The Undertaker is intent on preserving it for posterity. Although The Game is acutely aware of The Streak’s import, his responsibilities as WWE COO cause him to cast it in another, more capitalistic light. By seemingly discounting The Streak as a mere commodity – an opportunity for licensing deals and merchandising – is Triple H inviting even more wrath from an already driven Undertaker, who assuredly sees The Streak as sacrosanct?

At WrestleMania XXVIII, the rivalry between these two time-honored warriors will finally reach its culmination. Just how far is The Undertaker willing to go to defend The Streak and, in turn, his own legacy? Can the Cerebral Assassin actually best The Phenom on the day when he appears to be at his most unbeatable? Just as important, at what ruinous price will victory be attained this time around, when they battle inside the confines of a structure made famous by The Undertaker – the unforgiving Hell in a Cell?

On April 1, the WWE Universe will get answers to these questions as it bears witness to one of the most momentous clashes in WWE history.
    I like the look of this. Thanks to the HIAC, the match will be a little different from their last match. It's refreshing to see a HIAC because the WWE wants one, not because it's the HIAC PPV. I'm just hoping that Taker plays it safe and doesn't severely injury himself in this.

Intercontinental Champion

Status

Re: WWE Wrestlemania 28 - Triple H vs The Undertaker - Hell in a Cell

I can't wait till april 1st this is great!!
    “In any war, there are calms between storms. There will be days when we lose faith. Days when our allies turn against us...but the day will never come that we forsake
    this planet and its people.”

-Optimus Prime

Indy Talent

Status

kiss the ring

Status

Match needs blood

Also HHH going over would just be infuriating.

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Match needs blood

Also HHH going over would just be infuriating.
    Yeah, seeing blood would really add to the match, especially since it's been so long since WWE have allowed it. Surely if anyone can pull some strings it's Trips though.

If Trips goes over 'Taker here I don't think I could ever bring myself to watch WWE again. Would be the stupidest thing ever!

Don't play the odds, play the man!

21-1

Status

Quote Originally Posted by AussieFan View Post
    My sentiments exactly

This should no doubt be awesome and like Jim said it's good to actually see a HIAC whereby it can exactly be used in the feud and not just being thrown in there because the next PPV is HIAC. Can't friggin wait.

Jobber

Status

I really wanted someone to go over him this year to build a star (Barrett or Rhodes) but I don't want it to be HHH, it wouldn't surprise me at all though because I think Taker is ready to call it a day.

FUNKASAURUS

Status

I really hope trips doesn't go over here. After the way things went last year though, and Taker's apparent desire to retire shortly, it may happen, although we would all hate it and the internet would explode!

That said, I am really hyped that this is gonna be HIAC, and I expect to see Trips bleeding all over the place. That, combined with 20-0, would be awesome!
    RAGGIE's BACK!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    With the cold winds of the North came the fury of Ragnar

dxanman

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Bokie View Post
    I really hope trips doesn't go over here. After the way things went last year though, and Taker's apparent desire to retire shortly, it may happen, although we would all hate it and the internet would explode!

That said, I am really hyped that this is gonna be HIAC, and I expect to see Trips bleeding all over the place. That, combined with 20-0, would be awesome!
    Personally, I don't think they'd let HHH go over here, simply because 'Taker is about to retire and it'd be much better to go out at 20-0 instead of 19-1. I've got a feeling that it'll be an ending where 'Taker leaves HHH unable to leave under his own power, thus "ending" it.

And, I know it's probably not going to happen, but I have a very sneaky suspicion that Shawn will have something to do with it. But, who knows...

Tommy Got Hacked

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

No Pickle

Status

I'm so excited about this match more so than The Rock vs John Cena. Triple H and The Undertaker are two of the best wrestlers that have ever been inside the squared circle. I think I marked out more than anyone when these two were on RAW last Monday - there showdown reminded me of the great matches between The Rock and Steve Austin at WrestleMania. I'm especially glad WWE have made this a Hell In A Cell match but there has to be blood in my view. They have to lift this PG rating thing especially if this match is going to see a retirement of either wrestler. I'm just wondering what major spots we will see.

#pipebombshell

Status

Last years match was decent enough, and fair better than I imagined it was going to be, but I'm always a little pessimistic whenever it comes to both men's skills in the ring. Not so much at the whole wrestling thing, but more the being able to do it at a pace that will keep me interested and entertained.

I'm my experience, there's only ever been Batista that's been a "big" guy, who 'Taker has worked well with. I feel he works better with smaller guys like Shawn. And the same really goes for Triple H in my opinion, a smaller opponent suits his style better.

All that being said, I'm excited to see a Hell In A Cell live, and the idea of seeing 'Taker hit 20-0 in what could possibly be his last ever match appeals greatly.

The possibility of blood is also an intriguing sidenote. As Tommy has already said, it's not a necessity, but it would certainly add more fuel to the fire of what will hopefully be a great story being told.

I'm on the fence about it, but I'll be wrapped up in the atmosphere on the day, so I'm sure I'll forget my reservations when I'm there.

Also...

If Hunter wins, we riot!

Status

I've heard this a few times and it's certainly something to think about:

Since the Cell's going to be hanging over the ring from whatever contraption WWE builds, the view for the fans in the upper sections of the arena is definitely going to suck. Wasn't much of a problem for the smaller arenas/stadiums that WWE has held cage/cell matches in, but this is going to be an open-air stadium that can fit well more than 100,000 people, a lot more people above the cage.

oG $wank

Status

This is a good point, Andy, but WWE have a way of handlings things like these. As long as someone in WWE Headquarters suggests the same thing you did, I think they'll find a way around it, somehow.

But on the subject of the match alone, I loved their match last year. It was match of the night for me, partially because I grew up idolizing both of them and I felt like it could be either's final match, and also because of course I don't hate Triple H's guts like some people do, and I also don't care that Undertaker doesn't have a workrate of 50-moves-per-minute. I thought it was more dramatic and closer than the HBK matches, although as a whole, I'll never say it was better than HBK vs. Taker I, however it was better than HBK vs. Taker II.. Anyways, I think what put it over the top for me was a mixture of multiple things. The first was blood which I had been deprived of for a year on WWE television, the second is Triple H using the tombstone on The Undertaker (mark out moment of the year for me), and also the mysterious ending that left me guessing.

So when Taker returned I was hyped. I knew what was going to happen and when Triple H raised the stakes to make it a Hell in a Cell match, I was freaking out, I'm not going to lie. I know they can go above and beyond what the fans would be pleased with and put on a show for the ages. It's a match that both men have made history in and everytime these guys have touched a steel cell, it was an instant classic. Now the two men are going to step inside and do battle once more, and quite frankly, I can't ****ing wait. What other people think about this match, what they might have to say about Taker or Trips, or what other alternatives they feel might be better are all irrelevant to me. No one's going to blow my high regarding this match. It's a match that I am hellbent on seeing as it happens and may be a sole reason that I buy this PPV. I mean, the rest of the card is good and all, but I refuse, I absolutely REFUSE, to miss this WrestleMania thanks in part to this match, but also in part to Rock vs. Cena of course. And no matter what anyone else thinks, I also think this will be one of the best WrestleMania's in recent memory. At least since WrestleMania 24, if nothing else. The high profile of the matches featured is through the roof. You've got the clash of generations in Rock vs. Cena, the rematch I have to see in Taker vs. Triple H, and the future in full effect with Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus.

This is a stacked card and an amazing match, and I know they'll do a great job at hyping up both throughout the next five weeks or so.

The EC: Good for Business.

=======================================================
    ~~||*
    CLICK TO CHECK OUT THE WWF 2001: THE ICON INVADES BTB *||~~​
    ~~||* CLICK TO CHECK OUT THE WWE MMVI: THEN. NOW. FOREVER BTB *||~~

People's Champion

Status

*WM Spoilers* The End Of An Era + Did they beat last year?

What a match that was. Hunter and Taker pullled out quite a bit, but compare match by match, did they beat last years run?

And here is the real question: looking back at Mania now, Hunter and Taker was one of the most highly hyped match, did it live up to the hype? Did this truly end an era? Will we see the Undertaker back in the WWE for a match? Or is this his final curtain call?

Discuss.
    Please FOLLOW & LIKE my social media! You could win money!

oG $wank

Status

Re: *WM Spoilers* The End Of An Era + Did they beat last year?

It was a great match, in my opinion. Also in my opinion, it was better than HHH/Taker I as well as HBK/Taker II. I mean, they really did give it their all, and even my mom who isn't usually excited about wrestling was going nuts with all the near falls. Not only that but they worked up to last year's finish, and kept the match going after it, giving it that much more drama that the thing that Taker relied on year before, wasn't going to work this time around.

Whether or not it was the end of an era is questionable. Triple H will keep on wrestling, that's almost ceretain. It would make sense though for Taker to give it up at 20-0. It's convenient to end it on an even number that shows two decades of dominance, and just generally seems more marketable than 22-0 or something like that. Just kind of tossing out ideas.

I don't know though. Taker probably has it in him, but I think it comes down to whether or not WWE want to close the book on that era of dominance, and whether or not they NEED a streak match next year. It's arguable that the show would be marketable enough without Taker/Trips, but with all the rumors regarding Batista, Lesnar, and with Rock still around, they could have an even more stacked card next year, especially if everyone's SCSA dreams comes true. We could be looking at an upper card like:

Triple H vs. Lensar
    Rock vs. Cena II
    Punk vs. Austin
    Orton vs. Batista
    Bryan vs. Jericho

Or anything like that! Even if you took out and rearranged a lot of those matches (since they're basically made up and I have no real reason to believe any of them will actually happen, plus, Austin and Batista are unlikely to actually appear) you still have an awsome card that really has no use for a streak match to make it profitable. Not to mention that you could also include matches that include Miz, Del Rio, Kane, Mysterio, potentially Christian, Zack Ryder, and Sheamus, that will all get plenty of support and will be incredibly marketable. I wouldn't mind seeing Taker wrestling again, either to put someone over and lay a long standing feud to rest, but a part of me hopes they leave it alone and move on with the next era of WWE.
    Last edited by The EC; 04-02-2012 at 01:36 AM.

~~||*

Status

I didn't care for last years match but I loved this one, so I obviously think they did better. I don't think it was as good as either of the Taker/HBK matches but it was still 5 stars. One bit of irony though; WWE said that last night was the end of an era, yet a wrestler from the 90s won the main event.

oG $wank

Status

But will he ever win another, that is the question?

~~||*

Underdog

Status

Personally I thought they clearly improved on Taker HHH II. I didn't think that much of that match, with had very little workrate and too much finished abuse. But this one, wow, I wasn't expecting such a good match from them given their ages.

Anyway, I really don't think we have seen the end of The Undertaker yet. When he eventually decides to retire the hype of a retirement match and the last shot at The Streak is way too marketable to pass it up. Plus I really think he deserves a retirement ceremony of some sorts at a Wrestlemania.

21-1

Status
    For the match itself I'd taker it was an improvement on Taker/HHH 2 and Taker/HBK at Mania 26 but just didn't beat the WM25 match. But frankly everything about this match was awesome. Especially in the storytelling and drama department. I had my doubts on HBK but I gotta say he played his role well. Could have been more clearcut at times but still very well and he only added so much more to the Drama though his "this is hellacious stuff" mannerisms. He deserves just as much props and Taker And HHH deserve if you ask me.

Thread Information