Thread: Solid State Drives - Pros/Cons, Worth It?

Status

Solid State Drives - Pros/Cons, Worth It?

I've been trying to read up on SSDs as of late because I've been hearing a lot of good things about the newest SSDs and their technology, how they're better than mechanical drives, etc. However, I haven't really been getting clear cut answers on why they're so much better, and whether or not they're worth the pricey cost. I know there are some computer experts on this board, so I just wanted to ask about the pros and cons of SSDs when compared to mechanical drives, and whether or not they are worth it.

I may upgrade my hard drive if I can find a good drive for the right price, I'm mainly using my computer currently for gaming, along with regular college usage.

DD Touches my privates

Status

Re: Solid State Drives - Pros/Cons, Worth It?

They are all about the speed. Which is why they are so pricey.

Indy Talent

Status

Mainly the read/write speeds of the drives as well the SSD's not having any moving parts which lends to increased durability/longevity of the drive. They were fairly pricey when I bought mine but in my opinion they are worth it.

Source:I'm in the tech related workforce.... (Programmer)

Hope this helps and answers some questions.....

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidTakerFan View Post
    Here's to hoping this goes Steve or Ed's way. Nash your a poofter and a Donald supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidTakerFan View Post

Tiger Woods v 1.0 was great but Tiger 2.0 is SHIT. That is all. Rory for Prez Fowler for Vice Prez and Luke Donald can suck my balls. MTF
    One of these days the clock will stop and time won't mean a thing.
    Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters
    I don't like to hit little bitches with glasses, but when midgets step up, I stomp midget asses

I Am Not Your Daddy

Status

Yeah, its about access speeds. An SSD can access information much faster than a standard hard drive. Its still fairly new technology (in a sense), which is why they are still relatively expensive. They don't have physical moving parts like a standard hard drive, so they can't fail in that way, but they do have a limited read-write lifespan. That was the great issue when they first came beyond, beyond the price. How limited depends on what you read and believe, as there is (or was, when I was looking into them) conflicting info in that regard.

At that point, the consensus seemed to be the best set up was an SSD for Windows and some frequently used programs and then some large HDs for mass storage of stuff like videos, MP3s, etc.

Every Ending is a New Beginning.
    Your Lucky Number is None.
    Your Favorite Color is Dead.
    Like Father, Like Son.

Thread Information