Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB 12: The Show

Bitch...

Status

MLB 12: The Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDQeDmSKS1c

Anyone going to be picking this game up in a few weeks? Along with blu ray, it's really the only reason I keep my PS3. Love this series so much. Best baseball series since 04 and 05 MVP baseball.

btw, I thought AGon was the cover athlete, but according the Amazon, Joey Bats is on the cover now. Weird.

----------------

HIPSTER MOD

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.

Re: MLB 12: The Show

I'll pick this up.

I read and liked the forthcoming improvements towards the Franchise mode. Plus, the soundtrack rules (Mars Volta, Justice, Chain Gang of 1974, Black Keys, etc)

-------
    Stuff You Should Click On Or I'll Make Sure You Get Banned
    THE CHRONICLES OF RIDIC: The Hurricane | Simon Dean | Anonymous Raw GM | 3 Count
    Discuss: ROH | PWG | DGUSA | EVOLVE | CZW | CHIKARA | AAW | Puro | Other/Random
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus T View Post
    Nicky was right.
    [09:52 PM] Dakstang: Yeah I would rather watch a same sex marriage than Pokemon

Bitch...

Status

Didn't even know they were making vast improvements to franchise. Only thing I heard was there's a new hitting/pitching mode or something. What are they changing up about franchise?

----------------

Internet Favorite

Status

Agreed being the best Baseball games since the MVP Series. Forget baseball games usually this series is one of the best games period. From what I've read Bautista is on the Canadian cover of the game. The Franchise improvements look cool although I wish for once they would finally add in all the other teams a Major League Organization owns. For someone who loves to see the progression of Prospects, I would LOVE this. Usually the first thing I do when I get the game is create a handful of Yankees prospects if there isn't a roster out yet. That may not appeal to everyone cause than you would possibly have to add in much more rounds to the draft, or they could kind of do what Madden does and maybe just generate the much lower rated players if teams need them.

HIPSTER MOD

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.

MLB 12 The Show Franchise Mode Improvements – PlayStation Blog

Here's the blog I was reading.

And yeah, Bautista's on the cover in Canada.

-------
    Stuff You Should Click On Or I'll Make Sure You Get Banned
    THE CHRONICLES OF RIDIC: The Hurricane | Simon Dean | Anonymous Raw GM | 3 Count
    Discuss: ROH | PWG | DGUSA | EVOLVE | CZW | CHIKARA | AAW | Puro | Other/Random
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus T View Post
    Nicky was right.
    [09:52 PM] Dakstang: Yeah I would rather watch a same sex marriage than Pokemon

I Am Not Your Daddy

Status

Interesting read on the franchise mode improvements, Quiny. It makes it tempting. But as that's the aspect that appeals to me most, I'll probably stick with Out of the Park Baseball. Tough to beat a pure text sim for franchise mode depth, especially with the historical aspect that OOTPB brings to the plate.

Every Ending is a New Beginning.
    Your Lucky Number is None.
    Your Favorite Color is Dead.
    Like Father, Like Son.

Bitch...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Interesting read on the franchise mode improvements, Quiny. It makes it tempting. But as that's the aspect that appeals to me most, I'll probably stick with Out of the Park Baseball. Tough to beat a pure text sim for franchise mode depth, especially with the historical aspect that OOTPB brings to the plate.
    How does that even work? Can you even play the games or do you just sim stats and get box scores of games?

----------------

I Am Not Your Daddy

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PeepShow View Post
    How does that even work? Can you even play the games or do you just sim stats and get box scores of games?
    You can follow each game pitch by pitch, which is pretty similar to the ESPN GameCast. Or you can just do a pure sim where you just see the box score. The amount of control is up to you - play it purely as a GM where you are just dealing with the rosters, leaving the day-to-day decisions to the manager. Or take the role of the manager, setting depth charts and rotations. You can even make the in-game calls and subs and such, but not to the point where you are calling the pitches or making base running calls.

I dig it, because the franchise sim is pretty much what I do with most sports games. I barely ever actually play individual games. And as good as games like The Show have gotten with their franchise modes, they can't touch the depth a pure sim game gives you. I'm also a bit of a baseball history buff, so I love that you can start up a game with accurate rosters at any year in the entire existence of MLB and have things unfold pretty accurately - expansion, stat modifiers, draft classes, etc.

Like Father, Like Son.

One Bad Ass Assassin

Status

Well hell, let me read the improvements, and I might get it. I have always gotten this series, but due to my own personal budget cuts lol, I may skip it this year, because it's I grew tired of it. I just wish you could implement your player from previous years into the game.

One Bad Ass Assassin

Status

Anyone know if there are improvements to Road to the show

Bitch...

Status

Anyone know where to get a Canadian copy of this? Would much rather have the JOEY BATS version.

----------------

The pieces are mending.

Status

Anyone know where to get a Canadian copy of this? Would much rather have the JOEY BATS version.
    You can probably download a copy of the Bautista version and print it off instead of buying from Canada.

As for the game, I'm always on the fence with this franchise. It's the only baseball game worth playing but it just disappoints me every year. Really these franchise "improvements" are not anything appealing because for the past few years these exact areas are areas they addressed multiple times via patch that still didn't work as advertised. Aside from that, and maybe this is just me, but I've always felt like there was some kind of rubberband AI because so much wonky **** happens to me at the most random times and it kills the simulation aspect. I'm talking multiple errors in a row and just very odd circumstances that eventually force me into putting the game down. I played last year's version maybe a dozen times and it just didn't hold my attention.

The real franchise improvements are apparently coming next year according to the dev statements I've seen. I'll keep checking in on it but I don't think I'm purchasing this year.

DD Touches my privates

Status

Well my plans to get this on the day it came out got derailed with being laid off work. I am excited to get it though as it will be an awesome game.

Bitch...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron View Post
    You can probably download a copy of the Bautista version and print it off instead of buying from Canada.

As for the game, I'm always on the fence with this franchise. It's the only baseball game worth playing but it just disappoints me every year. Really these franchise "improvements" are not anything appealing because for the past few years these exact areas are areas they addressed multiple times via patch that still didn't work as advertised. Aside from that, and maybe this is just me, but I've always felt like there was some kind of rubberband AI because so much wonky **** happens to me at the most random times and it kills the simulation aspect. I'm talking multiple errors in a row and just very odd circumstances that eventually force me into putting the game down. I played last year's version maybe a dozen times and it just didn't hold my attention.

The real franchise improvements are apparently coming next year according to the dev statements I've seen. I'll keep checking in on it but I don't think I'm purchasing this year.
    Yeah, I might just do that.

And I agree with you to a certain extent about the series. It's really fun, but can get old really fast. Still beats the **** out of 2K. Not even sure why they even make a game anymore other than the 360 wouldn't get a baseball game, lol. They just need to go back to the MVP series. MVP 2005 and Triple Play >

----------------

Bitch...

Status

C'mon guys. Seriously nobody is getting this? Can't wait to get this in the mail tomorrow.

edit - http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...tter-than-ever

Awesome to hear.
    Last edited by Handsome Luke; 03-06-2012 at 03:17 AM.

----------------

I Am Not Your Daddy

Status

I've actually been tempted by this, since I've been reading a ton of baseball lately and Out of the Park 13 doesn't come out until April. Then I realized today that its PS3 only. MLB 2K13 doesn't look or sound as appealing, so I guess I just keep waiting...

Like Father, Like Son.

Bitch...

Status

Fat chance, but if anyone has played this yet, is there a trick to the new pitching style? No matter what I do, I always hit the big circle and not the small one and the pitch is never anywhere near the target. Even in the few times I have hit a relatively small circle, the pitch still isn't near my target. Any tips?

----------------

DD Touches my privates

Status

C'mon guys. Seriously nobody is getting this? Can't wait to get this in the mail tomorrow.

edit - Review: MLB 12 The Show better than ever - SweetSpot Blog - ESPN

Awesome to hear.
    I will be getting it in a few weeks. I don't have the money for it yet, but it sounds like it is going to be awesome to play.

One Bad Ass Assassin

Status

I have been getting the Show since before it was the Show, and I think I will miss this years. Doesn't seem like a huge upgrade to 11, and it will just add to my frustration when I first start to play the game.

DD Touches my privates

Status

The new pitching style has frustrated the hell out of me with the circle crap. I, like Peep cannot seem to hit a small circle and when I do, it is still nowhere near where I wanted it. I went back to the meter, otherwise I would get to frustrated with it and not want to play it. Hitting isn't as hard as it was last year, but still not easy.

Thread Information