Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A True Perspective on Sports

A True Perspective on Sports

I wrote this in January, part of it was submitted to the WIAA(Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association), and more in wake of the tragedy of Jack Jablonski.

Sports have increasingly become a mainstay in society, and the passion that fans give to sports is second to the loved ones in their life it seems. However 2011, and now the early parts of 2012 have many people rightfully reexamining sports and where they stand. There's been an outcry amongst fans of the more violent sports that they are "destroying the game" by protecting players. While true in some aspects, I feel like we need to sit down and realize that this is in fact, just a game.

Early in 2011 we were taken aback by the tragedy of Bryan Stow, whom according to the police report did nothing more than be a fan of the Giants. He was mercilessly beat outside of Dodger Stadium and put in the hospital for an extended period of time. He was beaten up because he was the last in a line of Giant fans that the two men who beat him were picking on. They of course only knew of Stow the Giant fan, not of the real Bryan Stow, the man who was a paramedic and saved lives as a job. When did we get to this point, that a simple allegiance to a franchise can get you beaten? Let's not pretend this is a one-time incident either, there are plenty of scuffles in stadiums everywhere across all sports.this is just one instance that escalated to near death.

Hockey had a horrible summer, Derek Boogard, Rick Rypien, and Wade Belak all tragically passed away, some as a confirmed suicide, some as a combination of things that could be constituted as suicide. One thing that they all shared was the fact that they were "tough" guys in the NHL/AHL they often took shots to the head, whether fists or hits. Derek Boogard was someone I knew better than the other two because he was one of the most likable players off-the-ice. You'd often see him at the Wild bar just down the street from Xcel after home games, he never let the fact that he slipped on a jersey change who he was, and would often buy drinks, or just sit and talk normally with people, such as myself. So why does he change to us when he puts that uniform on? Why do people wish headhunting on players? After all, they're playing a game, sure they're getting huge paychecks to go with it, but if he was any other guy, I doubt we'd be wishing this much harm on him.

Sidney Crosby is another example, there are more than a fair share of Penguin fans distraught with their star player and captain because he won't go back on the ice. He's taken a fair amount of time to come back from this concussion, and while some may not like him as a person, watching his masterful passing and sick shot is a treasure, and I think we'd all regret it if he turned out like Eric LIndros. It would be in everyone's best interest for everyone to fully recover from injuries instead of coming back to soon, taking two to three effective years off the end of their career, for only the glory of one year.

Then there's the NFL of course. Roger Goodell has made a personal mission out of ensuring the safety of players, and based on all of the lawsuits pending right now, it's a good move. We saw concussions end careers, or marr them beyond recognition before, but we just assumed they should suck it up and get on the field. Football fans are probably some of the most perspectiveless people on earth as well. Most believe that teams should win at any cost. Many people voiced frustration with way Goodell was "wussifying" the game of football. Now ask yourselves though, is it better to watch players get hurt, and have it effect them the rest of their life, or is it better to ensure the safety by having clean, effective players? While I'll concede that hits on the QB have become somewhat of a joke and could be a little more lenient, I believe that they are overall good for the game, because no offense to Brian Hoyer, Kerry Collins/Dan Orlovsky/Curtis Painter, Chase Daniel, I'd much rather watch Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees throw the football.

It was only a matter of time, but this competitiveness and hate-driven sports has made our ways into high school. In Wisconsin alone, fifty three underclassmen tore ligaments in their leg during football, there were a reported seventy six concussions, and probably numerous that went undiagnosed, and then on January 2nd, Minnesota was hit with the biggest tragedy of them all. Simply playing in a high school hockey game, Jack Jablonski was paralyzed. On a normal play, Jablonski was chaing a puck into the "dirty areas" of the rink, and was rammed into the boards by two opponents from behind, nothing terribly dirty, but still a dangerous play, as the two opponents removed themselves from the situation all we could see was Jablonski on the ice, not moving. A sixteen year old kid, paralyzed, while playing a game. It's a hit we see all the time in the NHL, and one of the two boys who hit them admitted he was going for the "big hit" not the puck.

Now these three individuals have to live with what occured. Having been a high school athlete, I've dished out my fair share of injuries, the worst being breaking a kids leg during a hockey game, however, it's widely believed that Jablonski will never walk again. Can you imagine being one of the two that hit him, having to live forever knkowing that you essentially hurt someone's quality of life, over a game. Yeah it's the "breaks" of the game as some say, but in reality, doesn't a safer environment help everyone? Jablonski was your typical Minnesota hockey player, and honor-roll student, great prospects to go to one of the in-state D1 colleges, and possibly a career in the NHL or overseas. Now there are days he probably wonders if he'll ever leave his hospital bed.

Sports in and of themselves are just games. and I, almost more than anyone, understands the competitve fire in these games,. Whether it's between players or fans, but the reality is, it's just a game, played by people. They are essentially just like us, so why do we not treat them as such? Perhaps we need to take some time, and realize it's just a game.

Since I wrote this we've had WR Kyle Williams of the 49ers recieve death threats after muffing two punts. And Tom Brady and Wes Welker have recieved unmet criticism after a Super Bowl to forget, once again proving I think it's time we sit back and take the time to appreciate the beauty of sports, as well as realize it's still, Just a Game.

#UnbanLemons

Frank and Mel go to Washington!

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo Shoryuken View Post
    it's hard to read

Now its come out that the Saints and Gregg Williams were putting bounties on taking people out of the game. Just not something sports or this game needs.

On a positive note Jablonski was able to shake hands with his teammates

#UnbanLemons

it's hard to read

I Am Not Your Daddy

Status

Re: A True Perspective on Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan Superman View Post
    Now its come out that the Saints and Gregg Williams were putting bounties on taking people out of the game. Just not something sports or this game needs.

On a positive note Jablonski was able to shake hands with his teammates
    What blows my mind is the football fans that are trying to defend that. The NFL is going to and should come down very hard on the Saints over this, it would seem.

Believe I told you in the SB or via Rep, but great article. I think more fans need to remember this. Passion is great, but having a loss by your team ruin your week or result in you doing something stupid is.... well, stupid. Have some perspective.

Every Ending is a New Beginning.
    Your Lucky Number is None.
    Your Favorite Color is Dead.
    Like Father, Like Son.

I'm ashamed to have been a fan of Gregg Williams for so long. This is honestly downright despicable. This IS way worse than Spygate. Were I Goodell, Payton and Williams would be handed forced resignations, Williams would be banned for life, the Saints would lose their two first picks this year and their top three next year, and fine the franchise upwards of 1 mil. I would also call Mark Emmett and the HSCA and get a show-cause slapped on Williams as well as blacklisted in HSCA. That man deserves to be nowhere near this sport. I'm all for tough and gritty football, but purposefully and with intent to injure to remove from the game? **** that. This goes beyond football as its peoples health and well being they are attacking. Absolutely despicable.

#UnbanLemons

it's hard to read

Stud Muffin

Status
    So this is ten times worse than "spygate".

This is honestly pathetic and it makes you wonder if they are just the first team to get caught.

Sean Payton should be fired as well as he had to have known about this nonsense.

1000 if they have to leave the game and 1500 if they got a guy carted off from what I have read.

This is not war Williams. This is a game.

My best friend broke his neck in 1995 while playing sports and it doesn't take much to permanently hurt someone.

This franchise should be ashamed f themselves and honestly if it were the Patriots I would have to had strongly considered dropping them as my team. Thank goodness it's not them.

I also wonder if this is what jettisons Brees and Colston as they won't want to play on that team anymore.

I Am Not Your Daddy

Status

The timing of it coming out couldn't be worse for the Saints or the NFL. Five years ago this probably gets a couple of fines. With the push toward player safety being such a priority at this point, its going to be bad.

Like Father, Like Son.

Danny, this is more than ten times worse than Spygate.

#UnbanLemons

it's hard to read

I Am Not Your Daddy

Status

Way worse than Spygate. That was about bending or breaking the rules to gain a competittive advantage in terms of tactical game-planning. This is about rewarding plaeyrs for injuring opposing players. And giving them greater reward for seriously injuring them.

Like Father, Like Son.

I can never root for the Saints again.

#UnbanLemons

it's hard to read

~!~

Status

I guess I'm going to be the odd one out on this, but I honestly don't see this as a big deal. Is it wrong? Yes, of course, but everyone is acting like stuff like this doesn't go on in other teams/sports locker rooms. There's no way you can tell me it doesn't. Just like gambling. Just because nobody has gotten caught doesn't mean there aren't people betting on their teams. It's not right, but it DOES happen.

---------------------

And that excuses it? I mean people get murdered everywhere, does that make it any less of a big deal when someone gets murdered? No matter, those that get caught need to be punished and need to be punished severely.

And its cool if peoples health isn't a huge concern of yours, but if you're just going to dismiss this intent to hurt and remove from game like that, you sir are just as bad as them, and I have zero respect for you as well.

#UnbanLemons

it's hard to read

~!~

Status

I never once said that it excuses it. It's still a despicable act, but the fact that people are surprised and in this uproar is hilarious considering it probably happens all the time. That's all I'm saying. Even Tony Dungy said it happens in a recent interview.

---------------------

No

Status

The reason people are in an uproar because this has potentially massive legal ramifications. This could result in battery charges being laid against the players, Williams and Sean Payton. While football is a sport with an inherent injury risk when you intentionally begin targetting players and paying to injure them battery/assault becomes a very possible legal option.

~!~

Status

What's so stupid though is that if you go back and watch the tape of that NFC title game, or any game for the last few years where these "bounties" occur, as long as the hits are legal, who the **** cares? It's part of the game. Yeah, if someone takes a cheap shot or steps on a part of someones body and TRIES to injure them, then a flag would be thrown or fine/suspension in place. None of that happened. It was all legal. Just because you try and hit someone harder and knock them out of the game and it's all of a sudden a bad thing is hilarious. If anything, it's just about the money that's causing all this. Just like gambling. So dumb.

Oh, and the tweets that have been sent out about Vilma and stuff are ****ing hilarious. Calling him a cheater and fraud and saying their championship shouldn't count. Yeah, as if this was giving the Saints an advantage over another team. Gtfo.
    Last edited by PeepShow; 03-04-2012 at 02:33 AM.

---------------------

No

Status

...do you not understand the legality of this...it is illegal to intentionally attempt to injure someone in all aspects of society, the money aspect just makes it worse, but it is still a despicable act in the first place. Just because there is an inherent risk to injury in the sport does not excuse the illegality of attempting to injure an opposing player.

Quote Originally Posted by PeepShow View Post
    I never once said that it excuses it. It's still a despicable act, but the fact that people are surprised and in this uproar is hilarious considering it probably happens all the time. That's all I'm saying. Even Tony Dungy said it happens in a recent interview.
    So we shouldn't be in an uproar over people intentionally trying to injure other people, for money?

Sounds good.

#UnbanLemons

it's hard to read

And no offense dude but you're totally coming off as one of those dudes who almost hopes these guys die at 40.

#UnbanLemons

it's hard to read

~!~

Status

So we shouldn't be in an uproar over people intentionally trying to injure other people, for money?

Sounds good.
    No, not saying that either. But I guarantee you there are other illegal acts happening in sports right now like gambling, but people just aren't getting caught. Nobody is in an uproar over that. So just because someone got caught doing this now, we should all seem to care like we didn't know it was happening? Just doesn't make sense to me.

And no offense dude but you're totally coming off as one of those dudes who almost hopes these guys die at 40.
    What?

---------------------

Quote Originally Posted by PeepShow View Post
    No, not saying that either. But I guarantee you there are other illegal acts happening in sports right now like gambling, but people just aren't getting caught. Nobody is in an uproar over that. So just because someone got caught doing this now, we should all seem to care like we didn't know it was happening? Just doesn't make sense to me.

What?
    ... do you not think we're trying to catch people? And I think we knew head hunting was happening, but to the extent of coaches paying players sand having a full system in place? I mean this is the first we've had 100% concrete evidence of it. Which means it needs to be dealt with in the harshest way possible. Because other teams if they are doing this need to stop. Its comical you're not in an uproar over as Suffy put criminal behavior. Athletes are not above the law even when playing the sport. Marty McSorely and Todd Bertuzzi are two examples that come to mind.

And for the second part, your entire post about how no one got hurt with an illegal hit. It doesn't matter if the hit is illegal, there's a difference between hitting someone to tackle them and another to try and remove them from the game.

Not to mention the whole role model aspect of this.

#UnbanLemons

it's hard to read

~!~

Status

I understand where you're coming from, but how exactly are we to tell if someone is just trying to hit someone hard or "take them out?" Obviously we are going to assume that with every Saints player now, but what about someone like James Harrison? Is he just an aggressive player or was he trying to take people out? Why shouldn't he be punished with criminal acts? Surely the money factor doesn't come into play with this if it's just about intent to harm, right?

---------------------

Thread Information