Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitney Houston Passes Away

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Whitney Houston Passes Away

Whitney Houston, who reigned as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, has died. She was 48.

Publicist Kristen Foster said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unclear.

At her peak in the 1980s and '90s, Houston the golden girl of the music industry and one of the world's best-selling artists.

Among her hits were "How Will I Know," "Saving All My Love for You" and "I Will Always Love You." She won multiple Grammys including album and record of the year.

Her success carried her beyond music to movies like "The Bodyguard."

But by the end of her career, drug use took its toll as her record sales plummeted and her voice became raspy and hoarse.

usa today
    Rest in peace, its a shame another life has gone so early
    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Luke View Post
    Especially when this turns out to be bullshit and Cena goes over at NoC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Luke View Post
    You're really invested in what Meltzer feeds you.

This is Cena we're talking about here. Summerslam was a once in a lifetime thing for Cena. It's not happening again. The DQ/no finish seems logical if they don't want to have Cena win but continue the feud, but at the same time, that shit is lame as fuck, especially to end a PPV on that note with these two guys. Plus, when's the last time a PPV ended in a no finish? Orton/Bryan last year? I can't see it between these two.

oG $wank

Status

Re: Whitney Houston Passes Away

Can't say I was an avid fan, so to speak, but I never cared for her genre. I appreciate her talent though and she seemed to have a really good voice in her peak. R.I.P.

The EC: Good for Business.

=======================================================
    ~~||*
    CLICK TO CHECK OUT THE WWF 2001: THE ICON INVADES BTB *||~~​
    ~~||* CLICK TO CHECK OUT THE WWE MMVI: THEN. NOW. FOREVER BTB *||~~
    =======================================================

Fire and blood

Status

Really great voice, but she led a self-destructive lifestyle in her later years. Still, a massive shame to see such a talent pass away.

Better than Perfect

Status

I wasn't a huge Whitney Houston fan, but I was familiar with her catalogue and recognised her as talented nonetheless. She was in New Zealand some time ago, in New Plymouth (small city) and my cousin went to see her and said she could barely perform, which was sad.

Rest in Peace.

"Learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all."

Why not life

Status

Damn, she will go down as of one of the best singers ever!

Runaway Train.

Status

It's so crazy. I saw photos of her leaving a club a few nights ago, and she looked terrible: dazed, blood running down her leg. But I thought nothing of it, other than someone having a bad day. Aside from a few songs I'd heard, I wasn't the biggest listener. Nevertheless, she was one of the biggest music pioneers and driving forces of the 90's. She definitely left a legacy.

Be at peace.
    I am here to stir things up I'm here to make Friday Night SmackDown! the Monday Night RAW of Friday nights!

#BigBooty

Status
    Heard it not too long ago crazy crazy stuff. wouldn't say I was her biggest fan but I was defo a fan off hers to an extent. Her lifes been a mess for years though, ruined by Drugs. Such a big shame that someone so talented is gone.

R.I.P Whitney. At least your in peace nice

This is the YES Movement

Status

RIP Whitney Houston.

▐▐▐

Status

Surprised it took this long TBH. Such a waste of so much talent. I guess while 48 is considered young to die still it at least beats the 27 yeard old curse

Better than Perfect

Status

#pipebombshell

Status

This is sad news.

Like many here, I was never a fan of her music per say, but some artists and songs transcend genres and Whitney did that with "I Will Always Love You". That song is amazing and a true tribute to how brilliant her voice was at it's peak and before the drugs and abuse completely destroyed her.

I heard about this on the way to work this morning. My girlfriend was a fan and is gutted by this news.

Unstable Mod

Status

Tragic news indeed.

She was such a talented artist back in the day.

RIP Whitney Houston.

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

TGIFS

Status

Rest In Peace to one of the most beautiful voices in music history.

#pipebombshell

Status

Reactions from a few famous fans...

Quote Originally Posted by AltPress.com
    Musicians react to death of Whitney Houston
    February 12, 2012
    by Tyler Common

The news of Whitney Houston passing away yesterday at age 48 was a shock to everyone. Houston was an american actress, producer and model. She churned out 11 number one hits, including the widely popular "I Will Always Love You," and "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)."

Her rise to fame began in the mid to late 1980s alongside the pop greatness of Michael Jackson and Madonna. She released seven studio albums and three movie soundtrack albums, all of which have diamond, multi-platinum, platinum or gold certification.

We've collected a selection of tweets from musicians paying homage to the late singer. You can read on below.

Adam Lazzara (@AdamDamnLazzara) of Taking Back Sunday: Whitney Houston, her range and Delivery is unparalleled. What she did was not easy. If her demons won, I hope she's found some peace.

Hayley Williams (@yelyahwilliams) of Paramore: I can't even believe it... Rest In Peace Whitney Houston

Tay Jardine (@tayjardine) of We Are The In Crowd: Wait Whitney Houston passed away? WHAT!? Damn... that is really upsetting. May you rest in peace.

Bradley Walden (@bradleywalden) of Squid the Whale: can not believe whitney houston passed. such a legend.

Alex Gaskarth (@alexalltimelow) of All Time Low: Singing for Whitney tonight. Let's make it a good one, Vancouver.

Cassadee Pope (@cassadeepope) of Hey Monday: Playing this set tonight for Whitney. What a huge inspiration she was and always will be.

Jonathan Weber (@jwebmusic) of Yours Truly: Still don't know why we lost her, but RIP Whitney. So much talent is gone way too soon.

Brian Dales (@brianlogandales) of the Summer Set: Rest in peace to one of my favorite singers ever, Whitney Houston.

Josh Montgomery (@thejoshset) of the Summer Set: I was once [an extra] in a movie with Whitney Houston ['Waiting To Exhale']. Growing up to her voice was a blessing everyday.

Mike Ferri (@mikeferri) of We Are The In Crowd: Whitney, "kiss my ass" will ring in my ears for the rest of eternity.

Vic Fuentes (@piercethevic) of Pierce the Veil: First Amy now Whitney!?!? So sad! We will all miss you! Thank you for bringing beautiful music into our lives. #RIPwhitney

Jonathan Cook (@iamjonathancook) of Forever The Sickest Kids: As a singer I've been chasing Whitney Houston notes since 1990. Her legacy will live on throughout generations to come!

Ryan Seaman (@ryanseaman) of Falling In Reverse: RIP Whitney. Drugs is not the answer.

Alexander Reed (@alexgoradio) of Go Radio: Wow awful news, RIP Whitney Houston

Eric Lambert (@ericthefall) of Blessthefall: Its a sad day in music, RIP whitney

Beau Bokan (@beauknows) of Blessthefall: we're listening to Whitney all day in her memory

Jason Dean (@jasonavp) of Artist Vs Poet: Whitney Houston died!!!??? Damn.....I remember freaking out when she recorded at TreeSound while we recorded Favorite Fix

Pierre Bouvier (@pierrebouvier) of Simple Plan: RIP Whitney... I grew up listening to your records cause my Mom used to play em' on family road trips. Another one #GoneTooSoon

Skrillex (@Skrillex): Young guns, go listen to Whitney Houston if you havent given her a PROPER listen and you'll understand why she changed the world

.5 The Gray Chapter

Status
    This is what happens when you abuse prescription drugs, cocaine and alcohol for decades. What do people expect? Tragic is not the word I would use. Inevitable is the word I would have used.

I feel bad for her daughter who was probably surrounded by her bizarre drug induced behavior her whole life.

Sure RIP and all but this isnt Taylor Swift getting hit by a bus or something tragic.

Is that cruel of me? Maybe, but it's how I feel.

#pipebombshell

Status

I fail to see how Taylor Swift getting hit by a bus would be tragic...

Maybe this was inevitable, but it doesn't lessen the tragedy when someone with the level of talent Whitney had, throws it all away for excesses afforded to her due to her own success.

#pipebombshell

Status

News from the funeral...

Quote Originally Posted by AllHipHop.com
    Piers Morgan Calls Bobby Brown “Disrespectful,” Rev. Jesse Jackson Defends Singer by Nolan Strong February 18th, 2012 @ 4:03pm

CNN anchor Piers Morgan addressed Bobby Brown’s appearance at Whitney Houston’s funeral today, labeling the singers actions “disrespectful” for leaving.

Piers Morgan made the comment at the end of Whitney Houston’s funeral, as attendees left the New Baptist Hope church in Newark, New Jersey.

Morgan, who did not attend the funeral, seemed to trash Bobby Brown in front of a national audience.

Bobby Brown defended his choice to leave, saying that although he was harassed by security and is “distraught” over the incident, he chose to leave quietly, to prevent creating a scene.

“My children and I were invited to the funeral of my ex-wife Whitney Houston. We were seated by security and then subsequently asked to move on three separate occasions,” Bobby Brown said in a statement. “I fail to understand why security treated my family this way and continue to ask us and no one else to move. Security then prevented me from attempting to see my daughter Bobbi-Kristina. In light of the events, I gave a kiss to the casket of my ex-wife and departed as I refused to create a scene. My children are completely distraught over the events. This was a day to honor Whitney. I doubt Whitney would have wanted this to occur. I will continue to pay my respects to my ex-wife the best way I know how.”

CNN’s Don Lemon cleared up the controversy, during an interview with the Reverend Jesse Jackson, who sat on the stage for Houston’s entire funeral.

According to Rev. Jackson, Whitney Houston’s family did not accommodate Bobby Brown and members of his entourage, prompting the R&B singer to leave his ex-wife’s funeral.

“They wanted him to move, and I don’t think they made proper accommodations for him,” Rev. Jackson told CNN’s Don Lemon. “They couldn’t make proper accommodations for him, so they asked him to leave. That was a very difficult moment for all of us. I tried to get him to stay, but they wouldn’t make room for him.”

Rev. Jackson confirmed that Bobby Brown left the funeral quietly and peacefully, despite growing reports that there was some sort of altercation

“He came, he said in the front row, but they said that was reserved for family of which is a part and a real sense,” Rev. Jackson said. “He is Bobbi-Kristina’s father, and she [Whitney] was his wife. To me it seemed they could’ve accommodated him better then they did.”

Bobby Brown has had a history of bad blood with Whitney Houston’s family, because the family believes the singers drug and alcohol addiction help enable Whitney Houston.

Mayor Cory Booker said police are investigating the matter.
    I can understand that there's bad blood between the families, but it seems really petty to let that effect the funeral in any way. At the end of the day, Bobby was a huge part of Whitney's life and (for better or worse) they had a child together. I can't imagine seeing her father treated that way helped Bobbi-Kristina's own personal feelings on the matter one bit. It's just out of order in my eyes.

And Piers should keep his nose right out of it.

Indy Talent

Status

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    This is what happens when you abuse prescription drugs, cocaine and alcohol for decades. What do people expect? Tragic is not the word I would use. Inevitable is the word I would have used.

I feel bad for her daughter who was probably surrounded by her bizarre drug induced behavior her whole life.

Is that cruel of me? Maybe, but it's how I feel.
    This is just about how I feel on the whole situation but at her peak she did have a beautiful voice. As has been said here, I am not a fan of her music but as DD said if these types of behaviors, i.e. the drug use isn't stopped it becomes much more of an inevitable factor which begs the much more reasonable question of 'When' as opposed to 'why' or 'how' and really throws the shock factor out the window. With saying that the misses was pretty gutted as she was a pretty big fan of her back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidTakerFan View Post
    Here's to hoping this goes Steve or Ed's way. Nash your a poofter and a Donald supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidTakerFan View Post

Tiger Woods v 1.0 was great but Tiger 2.0 is SHIT. That is all. Rory for Prez Fowler for Vice Prez and Luke Donald can suck my balls. MTF
    One of these days the clock will stop and time won't mean a thing.
    Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters
    I don't like to hit little bitches with glasses, but when midgets step up, I stomp midget asses

#BigBooty

Status

Peirs Morgan should just **** off tbh. Fair enough Bobby maybe should have stayed and just dealt with it because frankly it's Whitney's day but I understand his reasons for not staying and at least he left without creating a big scene. They should have made better accomodation for him though especially with all the history they have between them. Pretty sure there was talks of the family not even going to invite him. Glad they did a U-turn on that idea.

Better than Perfect

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Peirs Morgan should just **** off tbh. Fair enough Bobby maybe should have stayed and just dealt with it because frankly it's Whitney's day...
    Huh? If they didn't want him there, then he did the right thing in just showing up, paying his respects, then leaving without making a scene.

And both Piers Morgan and Jesse "Somehow Still Relevant in the 2010s" Jackson both should've kept to themselves. This isn't something the outside world would've needed to know.

Thread Information