View Poll Results: WHICH IS FOLEY'S BEST GIMMICK?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • MICK FOLEY

0 0%
  • MANKIND

7 35.00%
  • CACTUS JACK

12 60.00%
  • DUDE LOVE

1 5.00%

Thread: Battle of the gimmicks prelims #1 Mick Foley

Scherzinger's bit of ruff

Status

Battle of the gimmicks prelims #1 Mick Foley

I thought this could be quite fun. Each week I will post a thread for a wrestler and you must vote on which is their better gimmick. There will be 32 wrestlers in total and these 32 chosen gimmicks will go through to a bracket style tournament. Where we will crown the greatest gimmick of all time.

For *this first round it seemed logical to start with the man who perhaps had the most gimmicks. Mick Foley. Your choices are:

*Foley

Mankind

Cactus Jack

*Dude Love

Now *I don't just want you to vote. I want a reason for your vote. I want to hear your opinions. So I will tally up posts with votes. If there are more votes than comments then they not count. So to make your vote valid I need a reason for your picks. You don't have to write loads but something more than saying "Mankind" and nothing else. Etc...

I will start off and make my first pick.*

I choose...Cactus Jack

For me Cactus was always the most exciting of Foleys personas and I fondly remember his feud with HHH in 2000 where he would really take a beating and keep coming. You knew that if Cactus was about then we were going beyond hardcore. I also remember his feud with Orton where Foley summed up his character brilliantly. I forget word for word what he said but it was along the lines of "your not just facing Foley, you're facing Cactus Jack" and you saw the craziness in his eyes. Cactus ment business and was always the most fun character to watch. For these reasons he is my pick.
    Last edited by Paulie Walnuts; 02-07-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Fire and blood

Status

Re: Battle of the gimmicks prelims #1 Mick Foley

This is really hard. I love Cactus and I love Mankind. Both of them are two of my favourite gimmicks ever from one of my favourite wrestlers ever.

I'm going to opt for Mankind for a few reasons: his promos as Mankind were some of the best work of Foley's career, and for someone who is as good at promos as Foley, that's a big statement. His character felt deeper and darker, which I prefer to Cactus who was just a crazy, brutal buggar. The Mankind character got a little silly when they had him coming out making jokes for a while, but it was compensated by his wonderful title win in January 1999, which remains my favourite moment in Raw history. I'm perhaps a little biased because I didn't see a lot of Cactus' stuff until I was older, but I grew up with Mankind and he was a constant highlight.

Ultimately, when I think of Foley's career, the first two things that come to mind are his WWF title win and the HIAC in 1998 (and his entire feud with Undertaker). Both of these came as Mankind, so I'll go with that but it's very close between that and Cactus.

Cliff 'Em All

Status

As much as I want to pick Cactus I've got to go with Mankind for pretty much the same reasons as Shock.

Lurk & Jurk | Ribs & Salsa | Team Cyrus T

kiss the ring

Status

Cactus was Foley. The ECW promos were some of the best promos ever, and his best matches were as Jack or atleast closer to that persona than any other. Foley was really in his prime in the early 90s in WCW and was a really great talent back then, even though he'd become more sucessful later in his career.

Rabid Wolverine

Status

I vote for option number five, Commisioner Foley!

Spoiler:

MizDow

Status

While Mankind or Cactus is probably the most succesful of all the Faces of Foley, I had to go with Dude Love. He was a great character and was fun to watch. And while Foley was Dude Love he still mantained the same wrestling style so, my choice was based off of Character.

The Whole Fucking Brand

Status
    In a Hovel, underneath a rock............ in Narnia

This is difficult, but I'm gonna go for Cactus.

I could barely decide between Cactus & Mankind, but I just think that Cactus is more 'Foley-ish'

I always loved Cactus anytime he was in a storyline, and you knew when you saw him that it was going to get Hardcore, which I loved as I always prefered Hardcore matches to any others.

And the storyline with Triple H in 2000 as Cactus was a great way to open the new Millennium, in my opinion.

Cactus.

World Champion

Status

I thought Cactus was the most rounded character.

Indy Talent

Status

Very interesting idea Flex! I love it... now onto the meat and potatoes and my pick.

Pick: Cactus Jack

Personal Reason:
    I think the Cactus persona wins out for me because of the pure chaos of the gimmick. His match with Trips circa 2000 still is a hell of a watch to this day. Although it was extremely close with Mankind. Mankind's feuds with Taker were awesome and some particular moments in those still give me chills. All and all the many faces of Foley were epic in their own right and many a fond memory come from Foley's wrestling namesake. BANG BANG!

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidTakerFan View Post
    Here's to hoping this goes Steve or Ed's way. Nash your a poofter and a Donald supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidTakerFan View Post

Tiger Woods v 1.0 was great but Tiger 2.0 is SHIT. That is all. Rory for Prez Fowler for Vice Prez and Luke Donald can suck my balls. MTF
    One of these days the clock will stop and time won't mean a thing.
    Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters
    I don't like to hit little bitches with glasses, but when midgets step up, I stomp midget asses

#PardewOut

Status

It has to be Mankind.

If you think back to the most famous Foley matches and moments, pretty much all of them without exception occurred under the Mankind Era. I remember him as Mankind, a truly unique gimmick that was beloved

Fantrax Team: Keys of Ketamine
    Fantasy Basketball: Men Lie Women Lie Buckets Dnt
    Fantasy NFL Team: Everybody In The NFL Is On Roids

Spoiler:

Their is no excuse for taking one's opinions and thought and claiming them as your own.You know in my real life I was always thinking in the back of my head not to become a thug, a thug who is on the street corner selling Drugs and drinking Alcohol but this mistake is just as bad in my opinion.My Mother always told me when I was in School your not just representing yourself but you are representing me.She was say that to me every morning as I walked to the Bus Stop and right now those words are going to haunt me.Now from now one my posts in Wrestling Sections will be clearly be moderated and I don't blame DD or Jim in the future.I truely disappointed in myself and I'm truely sorry to DD especially since he purchased the VIP account for me, because I was bummed on the Divas Section being for only VIP.Crying like a little baby I was and I treated the VIP great until yesterday.I let you down...you told me to stay outta trouble and I made a mistake damnit! Now I'm ready for my fate and I will not contest banning of the Shoutbox..the Site or anything you two guys come up with.Hopefully I can get passed this mistake in time and truely make a positive mark on this forum.

Sincerly,

Jose Miguel DeJesus

Evil Admin.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    It has to be Mankind.

If you think back to the most famous Foley matches and moments, pretty much all of them without exception occurred under the Mankind Era. I remember him as Mankind, a truly unique gimmick that was beloved
    I'd disagree. Foley being power bombed on the cement was Cactus Jack. Foley and Hunter's legendary match at the Royal Rumble was Cactus Jack. Foley's ear ripping off against Vader was Cactus Jack. That big street fight Foley had with Triple H in 1997 was Cactus Jack. What is Foley's single most well known catchphrase? "Have a nice day" may be pretty damn popular and "Owww, have meerrrrrccyy" is fun, but I feel the answer is "Bang bang". What is Foley's trademark closeline to the outside named after? Cactus Jack. What about that elbow drop from the apron to the outside? That's the Cactus Elbow. Lastly, think of Foley's most iconic t-shirt design. I can't really think of any Mankind ones. Dude Love had that one classic one, but the Cactus Jack "Wanted: Dead" t-shirt has been popular for decades and in a few different companies.

When the WWE released Foley's biggest DVD set, they used a picture of Cactus Jack, not Mankind for the cover.

#PardewOut

Status

Shut up Jim, no-one likes you.

I think of the HIAC win, the first ever title win and the Boiler Room Brawl, but then again, I just love Mankind.

So original and unique.

Fantrax Team: Keys of Ketamine
    Fantasy Basketball: Men Lie Women Lie Buckets Dnt
    Fantasy NFL Team: Everybody In The NFL Is On Roids

Spoiler:

Their is no excuse for taking one's opinions and thought and claiming them as your own.You know in my real life I was always thinking in the back of my head not to become a thug, a thug who is on the street corner selling Drugs and drinking Alcohol but this mistake is just as bad in my opinion.My Mother always told me when I was in School your not just representing yourself but you are representing me.She was say that to me every morning as I walked to the Bus Stop and right now those words are going to haunt me.Now from now one my posts in Wrestling Sections will be clearly be moderated and I don't blame DD or Jim in the future.I truely disappointed in myself and I'm truely sorry to DD especially since he purchased the VIP account for me, because I was bummed on the Divas Section being for only VIP.Crying like a little baby I was and I treated the VIP great until yesterday.I let you down...you told me to stay outta trouble and I made a mistake damnit! Now I'm ready for my fate and I will not contest banning of the Shoutbox..the Site or anything you two guys come up with.Hopefully I can get passed this mistake in time and truely make a positive mark on this forum.

Sincerly,

Jose Miguel DeJesus

Scherzinger's bit of ruff

Status

Without a doubt it's a close call between Mankind and Cactus. Both had memorable moments. I have already given my reasons for Jack.

What we need to look at is arguably their two biggest matches.

Mankind vs Taker - HIAC
    Cactus Jack vs HHH - HIAC

Both matches were incredible but which do you rate better? Do these matches alone justify who the greater character is?

Underdog

Status

I love Mick Foley, he's always been one of my favorite performers of all time. From all his gimmicks I'll take Mankind over Cactus Jack. Both are great, but always thought that Mankind came across as more uncontrolled, unpredictable and dangerous (usually to himself). And the Taker feud is one of my favorite moments in wrestling. The moment he gets up from that stretcher and fights to drag himself back to the ring is etched in my memory, and it's Mankind the gimmick that conveyed the kind of mad unstoppable energy to do that.

Thread Information