Jeff, Who Lives at Home (2012)

Jeff,_Who_Lives_at_Home_4.jpg

Release Date: March 16, 2012 (limited)
    Studio: Paramount Vantage
    Director: Jay Duplass, Mark Duplass,
    Screenwriter: Jay Duplass, Mark Duplass
    Starring: Jason Segel, Ed Helms, Judy Greer, Susan Sarandon, Evan Ross
    Genre: Comedy, Drama
    MPAA Rating: R (for language including sexual references and some drug use)
    Official Website: JeffWhoLivesatHome.com

Plot Summary: On his way to the store to buy wood glue, Jeff looks for signs from the universe to determine his path. However, a series of comedic and unexpected events leads him to cross paths with his family in the strangest of locations and circumstances. Jeff just may find the meaning of his life... and if he's lucky, pick up the wood glue as well.

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kctOpTQtyUg

Killing It.

Status

Re: Jeff, Who Lives at Home (2012)

By the title it sounds like it could be a wacky comedy but instead the trailer shows that it actually looks interesting and has a bit of heart. Definitely going to check this out!

Evil Admin.

Status

I'm willing to watch anything with Jason Segel. The addition of Ed Helms only makes this more tempting.

Intercontinental Champion

Status

Lol, nice title first off. Secondly, it's the Duplass brothers who did Cyrus, which was kind of a disappointment to me but mostly because of the way it was marketed. Like Kakarot says, this one looks like a goofy comedy offhand, but I guarantee you it won't be because it was the same thing with Cyrus. Hopefully they market this one a bit better when the time comes, but I will check it out either way because it has a great cast.

Evil Admin.

Status

If you're going to have a movie with Jason Segel and Ed Helms as the stars, you should really make it obvious if it's not a comedy. Just look at the poster. Besides Ed Helms' wacky facial expression, it even claims to be "A new comedy from the directors of Cyrus". Even on IMDb, they list it as a comedy without adding a second genre of drama. That's not misleading, that's flat out lies.

Jeff, Who Lives at Home is a movie about a woman and her two grown sons (Segel and Helms) all on a journey to find something. For Segel (As Jeff), he knows he's on that journey while his mother and brother are completely unaware. Now, there is a little wackiness to the journeys (Thanks to Helms and Segel), but the comedy is just there to ease the tensions now and then. The movie has some heart and it's fun to see how everything leads Segel to his destiny to make it seem like for one moment, this pothead loser may be right about his views on signs. Personally, I really enjoyed it, but once again, I was expecting a comedy so I was initially a little disappointed. 7/10.

#unbanlemons

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Jim View Post
    If you're going to have a movie with Jason Segel and Ed Helms as the stars, you should really make it obvious if it's not a comedy. Just look at the poster. Besides Ed Helms' wacky facial expression, it even claims to be "A new comedy from the directors of Cyrus". Even on IMDb, they list it as a comedy without adding a second genre of drama. That's not misleading, that's flat out lies.

Jeff, Who Lives at Home is a movie about a woman and her two grown sons (Segel and Helms) all on a journey to find something. For Segel (As Jeff), he knows he's on that journey while his mother and brother are completely unaware. Now, there is a little wackiness to the journeys (Thanks to Helms and Segel), but the comedy is just there to ease the tensions now and then. The movie has some heart and it's fun to see how everything leads Segel to his destiny to make it seem like for one moment, this pothead loser may be right about his views on signs. Personally, I really enjoyed it, but once again, I was expecting a comedy so I was initially a little disappointed. 7/10.
    IT WAS NEVER RELEASED IN MY AREA

#UnbanLemons

Team Panda

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo Shoryuken View Post
    it's hard to read

Evil Admin.

Status

I'm not even sure if it was released in my area or not.

#unbanlemons

Status

It says the DVD isn't out til the 19th

JIM WHAT IS THIS BLACK MAGIC HOW YOU WATCH SHOW THE MIKE

#UnbanLemons

Team Panda

it's hard to read

Evil Admin.

Status

Movies almost always leak online before release dates.

#unbanlemons

Status

Movies almost always leak online before release dates.
    I WANT SEVEN PLEASE.

#UnbanLemons

Team Panda

it's hard to read

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

After reading your review Jim I watched this movie. Wasn't aware it was out yet, glad it was because I was interested. This movie reminded me a lot of 50/50 and Little Miss Sunshine. I just like honest, down to earth movies.

Ed Helms plays a thoughtless husband, brother, and son in this movie. While Jason Segel plays Ed's brother. A stay at home son, who at 30 hasn't done anything with his life. Susan Sarandon plays their mother who is a widow. And at this stage in her life is fed up with her sons. This movie is a day in their lives as they search for answers to all of their questions.

Jason Segel and Ed Helms have great chemistry and are natural in their roles. Susan Sarandon al though not focused on too much turned in a great performance.

Overall, I'd recommend this to mostly everyone It was a lot of fun.

Rating: 8 out of 10

Evil Admin.

Status

Out of the three journeys, I didn't care for Susan Sarandon's. The story was good up until the reveal and then it felt like it was overly confusing without any good reason.

Spoiler:

Is she a lesbian now? Is her friend a lesbian or bi? Is there going to be a relationship? Perhaps just be friends looking for an adventure? If that's the case, why bother with the secret IM'ing in the first place? The friend felt really sketchy to me ever since the reveal. It's a cliche Hollywood ending, but I would have preferred the secret IM'er to just be a guy Sarandon can end up with.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Spoiler:

I'll give you that it was sort of confusing. In the end scene I thought Jason Segel was going to see his mother kissing her new friend on the couch. Never happened. Hmmm

Evil Admin.

Status

Spoiler:

I felt a bit cheated by her storyline as well. They built it up and caused me to become emotionally invested. In the end, they don't really deliver anything of any real substance. Kinda cheap.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Spoiler:

I felt a bit cheated by her storyline as well. They built it up and caused me to become emotionally invested. In the end, they don't really deliver anything of any real substance. Kinda cheap.
    Spoiler:

How awkward would it be if she's full out making out with her friend on the couch on top of her? As Jason Segel starts clapping.

Evil Admin.

Status

Spoiler:

Eh, at least that would have been a proper ending to her story. I do think Segel standing there awkwardly and clapping would have been hilarious though.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Spoiler:

Actually now that I think about it. If he stood there for several seconds looking all confused, then clapping it would have been epic. I forget the comedy spoof movie maybe it was date movie? Where the guy would always try to start clapping at the wrong time.

Evil Admin.

Status

I believe that was Not Another Teen Movie.

#unbanlemons

Status

Movie was fantastic and everything I wanted it to be, Sure there are some story elements that make absolutely no sense whatsoever, and there are more than a few untied knots, but the overall message, timing and acting in the movie is fantastic. I honestly suggest that anyone who is going through a rough time in their life watch this movie.

9/10

#UnbanLemons

Team Panda

it's hard to read

Thread Information