Thread: MVP Braun to accept award, give speech

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

MVP Braun to accept award, give speech

Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun, who faces a 50-game suspension after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance, is expected to speak at a banquet where he will accept his National League MVP award.

Braun will appear at the annual awards dinner of the Baseball Writers' Association of America on Saturday in New York, a spokesman for the player told The New York Times.

"He will be there and he will accept his award," Matthew Hiltzik told The Times.

In December, ESPN's "Outside The Lines" reported, citing sources, that the positive test showed elevated levels of testosterone in Braun's system.

A spokesman for Braun confirmed the positive test at the time, but said "there are highly unusual circumstances surrounding this case which will support Ryan's complete innocence and demonstrate there was absolutely no intentional violation" of baseball's drug-testing program.

Braun faces a 50-game suspension if the initial finding is upheld. He is appealing the ruling. Last month, he told USA Today that the test result was "B.S."

He has not made a public appearance since news of the positive test broke Dec. 10. Hiltzik told The Times that Braun does not intend to do interviews Saturday. Braun was named MVP on Nov. 22.

Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp finished second in MVP balloting. The BBWAA said it has no intention of taking the award from Braun.

In April, Braun signed a five-year contract extension with the Brewers worth $105 million. He went out and had the best season of his career, carrying the Brewers to their first division title in nearly three decades.

He led the league in slugging percentage at .597, with a .332 batting average, 33 home runs, 111 RBIs, 109 runs scored and 33 stolen bases.
    How could the test be B.S.? Is there any possible reason for that. If it was bull wouldn't the person already explain why it was. If it was me protecting me legacy, and it was for a reason you'd bet I'd get ahead of the story right away. Even if it resulted in fines.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Re: MVP Braun to accept award, give speech

This is a really ugly story for MLB. The timing is pretty crappy considering that it looked like MLB was finally getting away from the black cloud that steroids, then the NL MVP tests positive for PEDs.

Even if the test is B.S. as he claims (I think he got a positive test on one test, then did another test shortly after and it came back negative), it doesn't matter. The news had already broken that he had tested positive and the public won't care, they just see the positive test and automatically assume he took steroids.

DD Touches my privates

Status

I really hope there is an explanation for this. I would hate to see someone like Braun get caught up in this. Most of his teammates have spoken up for him yet he has yet to say anything for possible reasoning. I hope it was some type of medication that was prescribed to him so what he has done isn't tainted in the least.

Curtain Jerker

Status

If it turns out it was not a BS test...he should give back the award. It just looks bad on him and the league at this point.

#unbanlemons

Status

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Smooth View Post
    If it turns out it was not a BS test...he should give back the award. It just looks bad on him and the league at this point.
    You mean just like every other player who was proven to be pumping PEDs have given back their awards right? Just gonna go down my list of everyone, and well yeah, there's none, and no precedent for him to do it.

Also, if you pay attention to more news outlets than just ESPN, Braun has refuted his positive test multiple times, and given reasonings why, and even had team doctors verify his reasons why. Now whether or not his excuses are valid is completely up in the air.

#UnbanLemons

Team Panda

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo Shoryuken View Post
    it's hard to read

Curtain Jerker

Status

Well, I'm of the mindset that if its a current player and gets nailed to a positive test, then that player should give it back. No precedent needed because no CURRENT player playing in his league as of the end of that very season tested positive. I for Braun's sake hope that it's false...I hope this all goes away for him, and for the Brewers.

As for paying attention to something other than ESPN, I get my news from a variety of places, because I no longer live in my hometown of Pittsburgh or the US for that matter....I'm now in Auckland, New Zealand so I read plenty of newspapers from back home as well as the 'big four's' websites, espn, yahoo, cbssports and listen to various podcasts...

#unbanlemons

Status

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Smooth View Post
    Well, I'm of the mindset that if its a current player and gets nailed to a positive test, then that player should give it back. No precedent needed because no CURRENT player playing in his league as of the end of that very season tested positive. I for Braun's sake hope that it's false...I hope this all goes away for him, and for the Brewers.

As for paying attention to something other than ESPN, I get my news from a variety of places, because I no longer live in my hometown of Pittsburgh or the US for that matter....I'm now in Auckland, New Zealand so I read plenty of newspapers from back home as well as the 'big four's' websites, espn, yahoo, cbssports and listen to various podcasts...
    Then you should've known Braun has refuted this test on multiple occasions.

#UnbanLemons

Team Panda

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo Shoryuken View Post
    it's hard to read

Thread Information