Thread: Colts fire coach Jim Caldwell

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Colts fire coach Jim Caldwell

The Indianapolis Colts fired coach Jim Caldwell on Tuesday, the team announced.

The Colts hired Ryan Grigson as their new general manager last week and said they would have a decision on Caldwell's future by the middle of this week. The team has called a 4 p.m. ET news conference.

It's the second big move since the Colts' miserable 2-14 season ended. The day after the season ended, owner Jim Irsay fired team vice chairman Bill Polian and Polian's son, Chris, Indy's general manager.

Caldwell opened his career by winning his first 14 games, the most in NFL history by a rookie head coach, and leading Indianapolis to the Super Bowl. He won an AFC South title in his second season.

Caldwell, hired in 2009, had a 26-22 record as the Colts' coach. His teams were 2-2 in the postseason. He was one of 11 coaches hired after the 2009 season and becomes the latest to get fired. The only two coaches still in their jobs from the Class of 2009 are the New York Jets' Rex Ryan and the Detroit Lions' Jim Schwartz.

Franchise quarterback Peyton Manning missed the entire season after having his latest neck surgery Sept. 8 -- a procedure that has clouded his future with the franchise. Without him, the Colts unraveled, finishing 2-14 and missing the playoffs for the first time in a decade, but they're in line to draft Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck with the No. 1 pick in April.

Owner Jim Irsay and Grigson must decide whether to pay four-time league MVP Manning a $28 million bonus in March, allow him to walk away as a free agent or redo the five-year, $90 million contract to make it more salary-cap friendly.

Though Manning has started throwing with teammates and players believe Manning is improving, Irsay must determine whether it's worth taking a significant cap hit to rebuild around a 35-year-old quarterback who has had neck surgery three times in less than 24 months. If he is healthy, a big if, Irsay has promised to bring back Manning and make another Super Bowl run.

Manning had good reasons to want Caldwell back. Aside from the franchise quarterback, Caldwell and offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen understand the Colts' offense better than anyone, and Caldwell helped Manning achieve his greatest successes. Before Caldwell became quarterbacks coach in 2002, Manning was an elite player with a losing record in the playoffs. With Caldwell, Manning won all four of his MVP awards, two AFC crowns and his only Super Bowl ring.
    Seems like they are just going to clean house.

Creepy Lunatic

Status

Re: Colts fire coach Jim Caldwell

Nothing to fear..Peyton but when you lose your Franchise QB your chances of doing anything during the season, goes down to nearly zero.I would like to see maybe one more year for him, with a healthy Manning, and then make a decision from there.Who will they have replace him, Gruden?

I Am Not Your Daddy

Status

Absolutely right decision and I'm surprised they took this long. That team made it seem like Manning is absolutely everything and as good as he is, that's not the case. There is still talent there, even on defense, and they simply mailed it in. There was no excuse to have that poor of a season, even without your franchise QB. Not to say they should have been an 8 or 10 win team even with Curtis Painter but they were atrocious in every facet, and its not like Peyton played defense. The Indy D was built to play aggressively with a lead, but they couldn't defend anything this season. No excuse for that. The team tanked and the coach takes the blame.

Every Ending is a New Beginning.
    Your Lucky Number is None.
    Your Favorite Color is Dead.
    Like Father, Like Son.

The Bad Boy of WC

Status

The 2011 season proves how huge a loss Peyton Manning is and how hard it is for the team to stick together without him.

On another note, the Colts defense needs a huge makeover for the 2012 season. Their defense was really horrendous.

"Your silence is utterly provocative" - DANDY MOTT

DD Touches my privates

Status

I am shocked they didn't fire him when they fired the GM.

Kind of sucks, one guy from my hometown made it to a position like this then got fired. It was all over the papers here. Losing Manning didn't help, but the team is getting older. Manning may as well call it quits now. No point in severely injuring himself.

Feed me less. Way less.

Status

God I hope the Bucs don't interview him

Credit: ilovewrestlinggifs.tumblr.com

Thread Information