Thread: Bruins' Brad Marchand banned 5 games, Was the hit dirty?

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Bruins' Brad Marchand banned 5 games, Was the hit dirty?

BOSTON -- Boston Bruins forward Brad Marchand has been suspended for five games by the NHL and will forfeit $152,439.02 for his illegal hit that led to a concussion to the Vancouver Canucks' Sami Salo during Boston's 4-3 loss on Saturday at TD Garden.

Brendan Shanahan, the league's vice president of player safety and hockey operations, held a disciplinary hearing via a conference call at 12:30 p.m. ET Monday afternoon.

Marchand was assessed a five-minute major and given a game misconduct for clipping Salo at 18:47 of the second period during Saturday's loss.

The league announced its decision shortly after 6:30 p.m.

"As the video shows, Marchand skates towards Salo along the boards," Shanahan said in a video posted on the league's website. "Rather than deliver a shoulder-to-shoulder check, Marchand drops down dangerously low into Salo's knee area, propelling Salo up and over, causing an injury."

Shanahan added the hit was a violation of Rule 44 that reads: "Clipping is the act of throwing the body, from any direction, across or below the knees of an opponent. A player may not deliver a check in a clipping manner nor lower his body position to deliver a check on or below an opponent's knees."

Shanahan added: "While we understand that in certain circumstances, a player may duck or bail instinctively in order to protect himself from an imminent dangerous check, we do not view this play as defensive or instinctive. Rather, we feel that this was a predatory, low hit delivered intentionally by Marchand in order to flip his opponent over him.

"Further, Salo is not coming at him at great speed, nor in a threatening posture. He does nothing to indicate that Marchand is about to be hit illegally or with excessive force. To be clear, we do not consider this to be a defensive act where there were no other options available to Marchand."

Another reason for the suspension, Shanahan explained, was reflected in a similar play on the same shift.

A mere 16 seconds prior to the illegal hit, Marchand was able to "deliver and absorb" a clean shoulder-to-shoulder check with Salo.

After the initial clean hit, Marchand showed frustration and gave a quick jab to Salo's back.

"While this may have led Marchand to believe Salo might later seek retribution, that is not a defense for clipping a player," Shanahan said. "It's important to note that we've taken into account that Salo suffered a concussion as a result of the hit. We've also taken into consideration that Marchand was suspended last March."

Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said he doesn't agree with the league's ruling.

"While we respect the process that the department of player safety took to reach their decision regarding Brad's hit on Sami Salo, we are very disappointed by their ruling," Chiarelli said in a statement.

"While we understand that the department of safety is an evolving entity, it is frustrating that there are clear comparable situations that have not been penalized or sanctioned in the past.

"It is equally disappointing that Brad sought the counsel of the department this past fall for an explanation and clarification regarding this type of scenario so as to adjust his game if necessary. He was advised that such an incident was not sanctionable if he was protecting his own safety. Given our feeling that Brad was indeed protecting himself and certainly did not clip the player as he contacted the player nowhere near the knee or quadricep, today's ruling is not consistent with what the department of player safety communicated to Brad."

Chiarelli had cited several similar plays in the past when no disciplinary action was taken while speaking with the media earlier Monday.

During Game 5 of the Stanley Cup finals last June, the Canucks' Mason Raymond delivered a similar hit to Marchand. Marchand was not hurt on that play and Raymond was not penalized.

"Because Marchand doesn't get hurt, I guess (the league) thinks it's OK for Raymond to do that, but because Salo got hurt then it's not," Bruins coach Claude Julien said Monday morning. "We can't have double standards here."

Marchand declined to discuss the suspension Monday night, but did maintain his hit was not clipping.

"It technically wasn't a clip," Marchand said. "Clipping is when you hit someone at the knees and I did not hit him at the knees. Anyone that has seen the video will see that I hit him in the upper thigh under the buttocks. They can call it a clipping but they obviously don't know the rules of hockey. I felt like I was trying to protect myself and get low and he went over me."

After Monday's practice, Julien said he would respect any decision by the league. Since Saturday's game, Julien has said that he felt Marchand was protecting himself.

"We'll let the league take care of what they need to take care of and we move on," Julien said. "We respect what the league is trying to do. We're a team that's built a certain way, we're a physical team and we certainly try to play within the rules and if we cross the line, and they feel like we have crossed the line, we have to live with it."

When it comes to head injuries, the Bruins have been at the forefront of the campaign to protect players league-wide. Boston lost Patrice Bergeron for the majority of the 2007-2008 season when he suffered a severe concussion. The Bruins' Marc Savard also had his career cut short due to a string of concussions in 2010 and 2011.

"I've mentioned it before and I'll mention it again: We've lost Patrice Bergeron for a whole year," Julien said. "We've lost Patrice three times, even in the playoffs last year, late in the game on a hit and a concussion. We've got a guy who has probably ended his career in Savard. We've had some serious injuries to this hockey club and the one thing we've taken charge of ourselves, as an organization, is to tell our players to protect themselves better. That doesn't necessarily mean illegal, but protect yourself.

"We don't want any more of these Bergeron injuries, we don't want any more of what happened to Savard. We want to protect ourselves. I would rather see a guy protect themselves and take a penalty than not protect themselves and lose them for the year."

Bruins forward Milan Lucic also received a similar hit during the finals last season when the Canucks' Dan Hamhuis upended him. Lucic wasn't hurt, and Hamhuis did not receive a penalty. Lucic spoke about that hit Monday morning, including a similar hit that the Canucks' Keith Ballard put on the San Jose's Jamie McGinn during the Western Conference finals last spring.

"There are definitely similarities, same point. Just because I didn't get injured doesn't mean it makes it any different," Lucic said. "Even for Ballard, I saw him do the exact same thing to Jamie McGinn last year against San Jose, but whatever. You know, the more we talk about it, the more we think about it and it becomes more frustrating. It's just one game and we don't have to play them again. We need to move on from this.

"It's unfortunate Salo got hurt on the play," Lucic said. "Injuries are a part of the game. Obviously, the whole concussion thing, everyone is a lot more sensitive to it, which we should be because we know a lot more about it. The league, I feel, has done a good job making the right calls so far and they're going to keep doing what they need to do."

"When I got hit like that, I had no problem with it. You didn't see me complaining about it after, so it is what it is," Lucic said.

With Marchand out, fellow forward Benoit Pouliot likely will play on the line with Bergeron and Tyler Seguin.

"Ben played a good game the game Marchy was sick and he's a guy who can certainly play on that line," Julien said. "He's played well enough to deserve to play there. Based on my assessment of him last game that he played [on that line] he's a very fitting player to put in there if need be."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGD5DbljtfE

Marchand is a wiseass to me. Being from Boston after they won the Stanley Cup he was acting like a total drunk ****head. I doubt he'd do any of this if he didn't have Thorton & Chara behind him. Eventually I really think someone will take him out. He's certainly on the leagues radar at this point. As far as the hit goes was pretty damn cheap. I doubt think Salo was gunning for him. Wonder if he's going to change his game at any point? I watch every Penguins game, and this year Matt Cooke who was one of the most dirty players in the league has totally changed his style. Pretty interesting to see a guy go from being a total douche, to a role model player.

#unbanlemons

Status

Re: Bruins' Brad Marchand banned 5 games, Was the hit dirty?

Honestly, the play isn't THAT dirty, however, the very fact that it's incredibly obvious he's NOT going for the puck makes it a stupid, and dirty play.

#UnbanLemons

Team Panda

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo Shoryuken View Post
    it's hard to read

▐▐▐

Status

I didn't have a problem with that but I am a Flames fan so I might be biased. Claude Julien was spot on calling out Alain Vigneault for being a hypocrite no matter how you feel about this hit though. And Alain Vigneault going on about how Marchand will get his. Good to see that team hasn' gained any class since Crawford decided a player needed to get his too. In the old superior NHL this wouldn't have even been a penalty.

#unbanlemons

Status

Unlike Spinny, I'm all for player safety in the new NHL.

Also, I'm fairly certain every single coach in the NHL is a hypocrite, so well, yeah, it's kind of a moot point.

#UnbanLemons

Team Panda

it's hard to read

Stud Muffin

Status

Yeah it was a dirty play. With that said, I don't think he was trying to break the guys neck or anything. He does have a beating coming his way though. I'm glad he's on the team I follow though and not someone else.

No

Status

It's dirty, everyone knows the type of player he is and he went way too low for a hip check. It's not only super dangerous on the opponents knees but he could easily break his neck on a hit like that.

I like big hits, but you don't hip check a guy at his knees, while not playing the puck against a rival.

Mr. Wrestlemania

Status

It was a dirty play. He got way too low.
    Madness

▐▐▐

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan Superman View Post
    Unlike Spinny, I'm all for player safety in the new NHL.

Also, I'm fairly certain every single coach in the NHL is a hypocrite, so well, yeah, it's kind of a moot point.
    I'm not against player safety. But what is safe about the fact that they physical game has been toned down so much and yet concussions are on the increase? Honestly half the concussions happening are players like Crosby admiring their passes and getting blindsided. Why? Because the game isn't as physical as it was so players are not as alert as they were. The quality of the game has been hurt for nothing. Yet they ignore the stuff that can actually help avoid injuries like no touch icing without having a big impact on the game. Hell with the whole no line change thing they just made it even worse because players are trying to beat out icing calls even more now. They keep trying to make goal scoring increase to improve ratings but to me the ratings have dropped more because of the physical game being toned down. Last time I checked when the NHL was doing some of the best numbers it did in the US teams like Philly didn't become big because of their goal scoring. They became big because of stuff like the Broad Street Bullies.

And don't even get me started on the obstruction hooking, delay of game or other crap like that nonsense

#unbanlemons

Status

Actually, I'd argue that concussions are more prevalent because we are actually more aware of them nowadays then before, and the fact that there are multiple ways to get them, and multiple levels of severity. I don't honestly think the amount in and of itself has changed, just the amount reported.

#UnbanLemons

Team Panda

it's hard to read

Stud Muffin

Status
    What about the theory that there are more concussions in today's hockey game because of the lack of fighting? Players are more likely to take cheap shots if they don't fear some good knocking their head off for it.

#unbanlemons

Status

While I don't totally disagree with that notion, I don't believe it is a gospel truth. While it's harder to fight these days because of the instigator rule, they still happen. And truth be told, it's kind of nice to see the Derek Boogaard's of the world not have an 82 game place in the game. I agree that respect has somewhat gone downhill, but in reality what I really want is the Shanabanhammer to start knocking kids out.

#UnbanLemons

Team Panda

it's hard to read

Thread Information