Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWF No Mercy

.5 The Gray Chapter

Status

WWF No Mercy

This game for n64 came out in like 1998-99 and is still considered the best wrestling game ever by many. Great customizations, create a belt. Reigning champion runs. Etc. Great sets of moves for your create a player. The list goes on and on.

My friends and I would gather around in the patio of my apartment and play this game for all hours of the night. Winner stayed until his championship would be taken. Then it even kept track of all the prior champs. It was legendary. We had all created two wrestlers a piece and you could only wrestle with your CAWs. If you wanted to replace one you had to retire one of your current guys. I believe I only had three guys in three years we played the game. My guy was Demon and my arch nemesis was my buddy Brians character "Beefy Chops" He wore all pink and had a big blonde Afro. I'll never forget that guy.

So why has it been over a decade with all these advancements in gaming has this game never been duplicated?

Am I far off on this or doesnt it seem like a perfect example or "keep it simple, stupid"?
    Last edited by DD; 12-24-2011 at 07:46 PM.

gonna kill you

Status

Re: WWF No Mercy

I very much agree and I think most of the wrestling games fanbase feels the same way (unless they are too young or never played in the past).

It baffles me that WWE 12 has the same online system that game has had for FIVE YEARS or more. See Halo 3's online? It works and it works beautifully. COPY WITHOUT SHAME. Do something. Don't just sit on a broken system when all you need to do is look at another game to see it done right! What a pain.

Why not life

Status

I loved this game dearly.I used to have three of my friends and I and we would play the Royal Rumble.I would modify how you could get eliminated, so instead of going over the ropes, we could only be eliminated by KO or blood.It took a hour or so to finish the match, but we loved it.I used the Steel Steps like crazy..great memories!

One Bad Ass Assassin

Status

You know this game is awesome, when the Gamespot forums are still active, I pop it in at least twice a year.

Status

i enjoyed it but honestly(i know i'll be in the minority) i actually like WWE'12 more. i mean sure there's glitches and such but playing a 4 way ladder or TLC match with 3 of my buddies has been a blast. we actually wrestle each other. all i really remember in No Mercy was everyone just tauning nonstop to get their finishers. then when someone got their finisher everyone just ran out of the ring from them anyways. just didn't feel like an actual match to me unlike WWE '12.

now obviously everyone didn't play like that, probably just my douche friends but still, ruined my experience on the game.

kiss the ring

Status

No Mercy wasn't just the best wrestling games ever, it was one of the best N64 games too. I spent so much time on that as a kid. I actually kind of blame it for me not liking any wrestling game since, as it set the bar too high. But you are right, the key to it was in it's simplicity. Like so many other franchices, the WWE games have too many stupid gimmicks thrown in now and they are never much good. If they just remade No Mercy with updated presentation, that alone would probably make it the best wrestling game in years.

The shoulder joints were hilarious, though.

One Bad Ass Assassin

Status

Why hasn't this game been put on PSN or Xbox live I am actually shocked

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Morgan View Post
    Why hasn't this game been put on PSN or Xbox live I am actually shocked
    i'm guessing because of the old wrestlers that aren't contracted by wwe anymore. they don't wanna put over talent that isn't theirs especially if they are in other companies.

I read A LONG time ago they were going to update this game with a new roster and such and release it on the Wii's Virtual Console but as far as i know that's never happened(probably never will). even if they re-released this game i probably wouldn't play it.

gonna kill you

Status

I've always wanted a Ring of Honor game for Xbox Live Arcade and Playstation Network that utilized an updated version of the WM2000/NoMercy engine but with online multi. That would be something.

Status

only if they graphics are updated. they were terrible back then and i'm not even a graphics whore.

The Blocker

Status

I love this game(yes I still play it).Hoho you should've tried the rumble with just pin falls or just sumissions now those matches last forever.I liked everything about this game but I hate that it won't let you save a game though.
    “In any war, there are calms between storms. There will be days when we lose faith. Days when our allies turn against us...but the day will never come that we forsake
    this planet and its people.”

-Optimus Prime

Suffocate|Concuss|Prevail

Status

Yeah No Mercy was easily my fav N64 game back in the day. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but if it didn't have this bug where at random times, it would delete all the stuff I had saved, I would've enjoyed it even more. I wish the controls for that game were the same for today's WWE wrestling games; hold down the grapple button, flick the joystick, FINISHER!!!
    Wade. to attack, approach, or begin vigorously.
    Will. power or capacity of free, conscious choice.
    Amiable. (to persons) having a pleasing and kindly disposition.

WC's Insane Luchadore

Status

I still have it! Hahahaha still works on my N64, and recently played it a few nights ago. I was playing as my CAW of Ahmed Johnson (AHMED JOHNSON RULES) against Kane at the Wrestlemania arena.

"Gringo, in time. You're gonna be working for me so!"

Always Give Up Cena Sucks

Status

So many endless hours of playing as Too Cool in ladder matches.

F5, SUPLEX, REPEAT

Status

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    create a belt.
    Create a belt was in Wrestlemania2000, No Mercy just had the ability to compete in belt specific story lines which in my opinion is better anyway).

Also, from playing through the game and saving up money, HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY BOUGHT HO?!?!

The Blocker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    Create a belt was in Wrestlemania2000, No Mercy just had the ability to compete in belt specific story lines which in my opinion is better anyway).

Also, from playing through the game and saving up money, HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY BOUGHT HO?!?!
    I was to busy trying to figure out how to beat survivial mode it was crazy hard.
    “In any war, there are calms between storms. There will be days when we lose faith. Days when our allies turn against us...but the day will never come that we forsake

-Optimus Prime

F5, SUPLEX, REPEAT

Status

Quote Originally Posted by iceman90 View Post
    I was to busy trying to figure out how to beat survivial mode it was crazy hard.
    You can't actually beat Survival mode. It just goes on and on until you're eliminated. But you can unlock a decent amount of characters that way, and cause it goes by increasing points, you can rack up a ton of cash if you get pinfalls, knockouts, and submissions in unison.

The Blocker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    You can't actually beat Survival mode. It just goes on and on until you're eliminated. But you can unlock a decent amount of characters that way, and cause it goes by increasing points, you can rack up a ton of cash if you get pinfalls, knockouts, and submissions in unison.
    Well thats countless hours down the drain.I think I got to andre but didn't get to eliminate him because my guy was hurt so bad it wasn't even funny.

-Optimus Prime

F5, SUPLEX, REPEAT

Status

If you want a cheap way to fight through survival or even the story/belt modes. Make a created wrestler(and aside fom whatever moves you want) use either Bradshaw Hammer or Chyna Low Blow(preferrably) as your Strong B+ attack. I also suggest the Stone COld Stunner as a finisher. It has an S ranking which is the highest and it is quick so you can sometimes hit the move four times before you run out of special.

The Blocker

Status

yea I heard perry saturns swinging low kick is good to.I loved hitting the rock bottom two times in a row and then peoples elbow.

-Optimus Prime

Thread Information