Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011-2012 College Basketball Discussion Thread

~!~

Status

2011-2012 College Basketball Discussion Thread

Surprised nobody has made this yet. Season pretty much kicked off tonight. UNC is doing some work on Michigan State tonight. Started off kinda slow, but have played well int he 2nd half so far. Really cool to see this on the aircraft carrier though. Even more awesome for the players and everyone else who get to partake in this once in a lifetime experience. So awesome.

Too big. Too strong. Too fast. Too good.

-----------------

Free Agent

Status

Re: 2011-2012 College Basketball Discussion Thread

Kentucky put a BEATING on Marist. A 50 point win. They SHOULD be ranked #1, given the fact they beat UNC last season, retained some great players and have the best freshmen class in the country. UK is the best team in college basketball right now, IMO.

~!~

Status

That might mean something if I had the slightest inkling of who Marist is, let alone where they are from.

-----------------

Free Agent

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PeepShow View Post
    That might mean something if I had the slightest inkling of who Marist is, let alone where they are from.
    All teams playing ranked opponents are pretty much cupcakes at this point. UNC played Michigan State, but Izzo's team is far from great this year. Marist is a tougher-than-they-seem team from New York who can shoot the lights out.

UK has Kansas coming up. If Kentucky wins by double digits, then that should solidify them as the team to beat. I'm telling ya, Kentucky has the best team and talent in college ball today.

~!~

Status

I'm not denying the fact that they are talented. Most of Calipari's teams have quite a bit of young talent. With that said, I don't think UNC should be #1 either. Yeah, they have a lot of talent as well, but just starting a new season with that talent shouldn't make you #1. They were barely good enough to be ranked last year. Whatever though, I'm not going to complain.

Michigan State though has it rough. Playing UNC on an aircraft carrier in front of Obama and a bunch of military and then follow that up by playing Duke in MSG. Damn.

-----------------

Free Agent

Status

I'm not denying the fact that they are talented. Most of Calipari's teams have quite a bit of young talent. With that said, I don't think UNC should be #1 either. Yeah, they have a lot of talent as well, but just starting a new season with that talent shouldn't make you #1. They were barely good enough to be ranked last year. Whatever though, I'm not going to complain.

Michigan State though has it rough. Playing UNC on an aircraft carrier in front of Obama and a bunch of military and then follow that up by playing Duke in MSG. Damn.
    Duke looks weak this year. They barely beat a glorified JV team last night. Austin Rivers (Doc Rivers son and starting Duke guard) is the most overrated freshmen in recent history. As down as Michigan State is, they could certainly beat Duke. I don't see Duke having a very good year (by their standards).

If I had to rank the top 3 teams so far, it would go as follows,,,

#1 Kentucky
    #2 Ohio State
    #3 UNC

That being said, we are WAY too early to truly tell I suppose.

~!~

Status

Wait, what? They won by 46 points. I didn't watch the game, but I wouldn't call that barely beating a team in any sense, lol.

-----------------

#unbanlemons

Status

He's talking about the Belmont game that Duke won 77-76, and Belmont is no slouch really, they've become a perennial favorite to win the Atlantic Sun, and play teams tough up and down their schedule. Marist on the other hand is a mediocre team from the MAAC, and was picked to finish last in the conference. While the MAAC is a mid-major conference, and the Atlantic Sun is considered a "small" conference, I'd wager Belmont would beat Marist 9 times out of 10. In fact, almost every major publication, including the MAAC website picked the Red Foxes to finish last, and Belmont to finish first in their conference.

Anyway, I'm not that into OOC games for Basketball, but once B1G plays, I'll be cheering on the alma mater and Wisconsin.

#UnbanLemons

Team Panda

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo Shoryuken View Post
    it's hard to read

#unbanlemons

Status

Ugly situation with Xavier/Cincinnati.

Kentucky gets knocked off by INDIANA.

#UnbanLemons

Team Panda

it's hard to read

No

Status

Marquis Teague is going to be the downfall of that Kentucky team, he is a really really really ****ty version of Derrick Rose, with none of the athleticism or scoring ability but thinks he has it all.

Terrence Jones is also way to passive at times, he's the best player on that team right now take the ball and do your thing!

Free Agent

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan Superman View Post
    Kentucky gets knocked off by INDIANA.
    Sometimes the better team loses. It happens. Kentucky NEEDED this lose to make them hungry and focused. The loss was more important than a win for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Suffy View Post
    Marquis Teague is going to be the downfall of that Kentucky team, he is a really really really ****ty version of Derrick Rose, with none of the athleticism or scoring ability but thinks he has it all.

Terrence Jones is also way to passive at times, he's the best player on that team right now take the ball and do your thing!
    Teague has yet to live up to his hype. He is overwhelmed at this level. He wont be a "one and done", as he will need much much more work. UK has another PG (Ryan Horrow) who transferred in, but can't play until next year. Teague may not even be a starter next season at this rate.

Calipari refuses to give playing time to Kyle Wiltjer, who is good enough to start on any team in the country. Why? I have no idea. Cal does seem obsessed with his "NBA guys".

T-Jones played like he was sedated last night. He's been playing that way all season for the most part. Something is wrong with that kid. He has the ability and talent to be the best player in college ball and to be the #1 draft pick. He is that good. The problem is, he's not consistent. He disappears and plays with no heart. It's actually kinda sad, he could be dominate.

Kentucky NEEDED that loss. They needed a wake-up call and slap in the face. Losing to a lesser team will do that (especially Indiana). Now, maybe they will realize that they have to play the whole game and play with passion and urgency.

#unbanlemons

Status

Good teams find ways to win(like not missing free throws), bad teams find ways to lose(like missing free throws)

I also like how you say that Indiana didn't deserve the win(in another thread), that's absolutely hilarious. In no way did Kentucky deserve to win when all they had to do? HIT A FREE THROW. Then the three would've tied the game instead of won it. Indiana was the better team on the court yesterday. They may not be the better team 9 out of 10 times, but that don't matter when all it takes is one.

The six game suspensions handed to Gates and Mbodj are jokes. both should be banned from NCAA play for life. Just absolutely NO place in the game for that.

#UnbanLemons

Team Panda

it's hard to read

~!~

Status

I'm pretty sure Calipari never teaches any of his teams how to make free throws in practice. Ever.

-----------------

Free Agent

Status

Good teams find ways to win(like not missing free throws), bad teams find ways to lose(like missing free throws)

I also like how you say that Indiana didn't deserve the win(in another thread), that's absolutely hilarious. In no way did Kentucky deserve to win when all they had to do? HIT A FREE THROW. Then the three would've tied the game instead of won it. Indiana was the better team on the court yesterday. They may not be the better team 9 out of 10 times, but that don't matter when all it takes is one.
    Kentucky is the better team. A better team can lose the game. Happens all the time. That's why the pros play a series playoffs. 9 out of 10 times, UK would likely win by 20 over a team like Indiana. UK played with no heart yesterday. They basically handed Indiana the win with their play. That happens to young teams who never had to fight for it before.

Indiana played a team that was better and more talented, yet young and inexperienced. UK needed that loss to teach them a hard lesson. Indiana won. Yipee . Good for them, but it was basically handed to them by UK. Any early Christmas gift. Indiana has a good team, but not a great team and not a team built for March. I'll give it to them. They played well. But they didn't play UK at half of UK ability. They didn't play the UK team who beat UNC. The fact is that it's December, not March. This Indiana win will be long since forgotten about in March. In the grand scheme of things, people will likely point out that that game woke UK up (again, if it's remembered at all).

I'm pretty sure Calipari never teaches any of his teams how to make free throws in practice. Ever.
    He does actually, but when you have young players who are not used to this level, this pressure, then you see missed shots.

Calipari isn't a great coach. He isn't. He is a great recruiter and motivator (sometimes). He is a decent enough coach to win with great talent. Even the most biased UK fan will tell you that. I'm not sure this is UK's year. The talent is too young. I only see 2 UK players leaving this year. And those two are Davis (almost a lock for the #1 pick) and Kidd-Gilchrist. No way Teague leaves this year. You can tell he just isn't ready (unlike Knight and Wall). Wiltjer gets too little playing time, even though he should be starting. If Jones keeps playing like this, then he wont go lottery. If T-Jones doesn't go lottery, he wont leave.

Vargas and Miller will both leave, but they have to. They are seniors. Neither are first round guys. Actually, neither will likely be 2nd round guys (although Miller could be).

I think UK will wake up and turn back into that dominate team again. When it comes to talent, UK is heads above the rest. Now it becomes a question of will that talent reach it's potential in time for Madness. That Indiana loss was the very thing needed to get them to realize what they are missing.

As a UK fan, I gotta say thank you Indiana for letting UK give you that win. For being just good enough to beat an unfocused and young Kentucky who played with no heart.

No sour grapes, just my opinion. I'm glad UK lost. Now they can refocus on the task at hand.

~!~

Status

I wasn't just referring to UK and their bad free throws. All of Calipari's teams have been awful free throw shooters. Memphis lost the national title in 08 because they couldn't make free throws.

-----------------

#unbanlemons

Status

UMass was also notoriously bad at free throw shooting.

And for not having sour grapes, It REALLY doesn't sound like it.

#UnbanLemons

Team Panda

it's hard to read

Free Agent

Status

I wasn't just referring to UK and their bad free throws. All of Calipari's teams have been awful free throw shooters. Memphis lost the national title in 08 because they couldn't make free throws.
    Very true. Again, happens who your team is mostly made up of 18 year olds.

And for not having sour grapes, It REALLY doesn't sound like it.
    How? I wanted them to lose that game, and I'm glad they did. A loss meant more for that team than a win. They needed to lose to a lesser team in order to learn a hard lesson. Like I said, I'll give Indiana credit for being just good enough to beat a much better team on a really bad night. As a fan, I'm glad a loss like this came now.

If I'm Indiana, I'm happy for the win. I'm happy, but I also know we were handed that victory. A gift.

#unbanlemons

Status

Just like that, you're giving Indiana 0 credit whatsoever. If that's not having sour grapes towards losing I don't know what is.

#UnbanLemons

Team Panda

it's hard to read

Free Agent

Status

Just like that, you're giving Indiana 0 credit whatsoever. If that's not having sour grapes towards losing I don't know what is.
    It's the fact of the matter. I did give Indiana credit for being just good enough to beat an unfocused and young UK team. Indiana was just good enough to beat a better team. There are reasons for that. just pointing that out.

Again, it can't be sour grapes if I wanted UK to lose. They needed to lose a game like that in order to break out of their funk. To wake up. I have no ill-will to Indiana. I'm happy they won. It's a mostly meaningless game that was won by UK playing with no heart and no urgency. If UK played as good as they did vs Kansas or UNC, then they would have won by 20+ points. They didn't play to half of their potential, thus handing and mostly giving Indiana the win. And again, I'm happy about that. it needed to happen.

#unbanlemons

Status

And Indiana beats Ohio State. But they're just not any good.

#UnbanLemons

Team Panda

it's hard to read

Thread Information