WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Silent House (2012)

Silent House

Release Date: March 9, 2012
    Studio: Open Road Films
    Director: Chris Kentis, Laura Lau
    Screenwriter: Laura Lau
    Starring: Elizabeth Olsen, Adam Trese, Eric Sheffer Stevens, Julia Taylor Ross, Haley Murphy, Adam Barnett
    Genre: Horror, Thriller
    MPAA Rating: 7/10 rating|Silent House - ShockTillYouDrop.com
    Official Website: Not Available

Plot Summary: Directed by fillmmaking duo Chris Kentis and Laura Lau ("Open Water"), "Silent House" is an enthralling and unsettling horror thriller starring Elizabeth Olsen as Laura, a young woman whose panic grows into terror as she finds herself sealed inside her family's crumbling lake house. With no electricity and no contact to the outside world, events throughout the house become increasingly frightening and bloody.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Re: Silent House (2012)

Spoiler:

Here's the new Motion poster. I love these.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Re: Horror Movie Discussion

Is anyone going to check out Silent House this weekend? I may just to see how badly it compares to La Casa Muda.

DD Touches my privates

Status

I would like to, but sadly I think I will have to wait until the following weekend and then go see it if I get the chance. I know you (and a lot of other people) think it looks like ****, but I think it looks pretty good and am looking forward to watching it.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    I would like to, but sadly I think I will have to wait until the following weekend and then go see it if I get the chance. I know you (and a lot of other people) think it looks like ****, but I think it looks pretty good and am looking forward to watching it.
    It's not that I think it looks like absolute ****, I just think it'll fail to compare to the Uruguayan film. Hopefully I'm proven wrong, I think I'll try my best to see it on Sunday.

DD Touches my privates

Status

But you're not the first person or only person I have heard say it looks like crap. I've read it all over the internet already and it makes me sad. Mainly because I think it looks pretty good. I just hope I am not disappointed in it'.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    But you're not the first person or only person I have heard say it looks like crap. I've read it all over the internet already and it makes me sad. Mainly because I think it looks pretty good. I just hope I am not disappointed in it'.
    If it doesn't try to be anything other than a replica of the original it could be pretty decent. I'm definitely going to try and go into it with an open mind.

DD Touches my privates

Status

I try to go into any horror movie now with an open mind and let them ruin for me instead of having preconceived notions about it. It works well for me. Most of the time I at least come out liking the movie somewhat. Obviously it isn't always the case, but more times than not it is.

DD Touches my privates

Status

So has anyone seen this yet? I'm curious as to what people think of it so far.

Indy Talent

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Is anyone going to check out Silent House this weekend? I may just to see how badly it compares to La Casa Muda.
    Got a copy setting on the entertainment center, along with a slew of other titles, and just can't find the time to relax and watch it. Damn family and work eating away at my life force. So very behind in my movie critiques.

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidTakerFan View Post
    Here's to hoping this goes Steve or Ed's way. Nash your a poofter and a Donald supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidTakerFan View Post

Tiger Woods v 1.0 was great but Tiger 2.0 is SHIT. That is all. Rory for Prez Fowler for Vice Prez and Luke Donald can suck my balls. MTF
    One of these days the clock will stop and time won't mean a thing.
    Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters
    I don't like to hit little bitches with glasses, but when midgets step up, I stomp midget asses

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Just got back from seeing it. I haven't seen the original, didn't even know it was a remake until I cam here. And I knew nothing about it but after seeing Elizabeth Olsen in Martha Mary May Marlene I was impressed with her acting so we went to see this. It was a good movie all in all and she is really a pretty good actress. But I hated the twist, its just been done SO damn many times I hate it more everytime I see it in a movie. Other than that it was entertaining with a couple of decent scares, also its very short at only 88mins long so it doesn't drag on at any point.
    "Easylayin!"

Evil Admin.

Status

I just got done watching this. Overall, I really enjoyed it. There's a few different ways to earn a "Good horror" grade by me. A movie like Paranormal Activity gets the thumbs up because it scares me long after the movie is finished. The Exorcist gets the good grade because it's simply a great movie. Silent House managed to keep me on edge for the first half of the movie. I love that feeling of knowing something's coming, but you're not sure when exactly it will happen. The main purpose of any horror movie is to scare the viewer, Silent House accomplished it's mission.

The aspect that really interested me was the camera work. The movie is made to look like it's filmed in one long cut. It quickly becomes clear that they focus on an inanimate object for a few seconds whenever they need to cut a couple of scenes together. It's still rather clever, even if it's been done before. The camera work also becomes it's own characters. It's almost as if the camera represents the viewer. It's always moving around and it can be impatient. Yet, it sticks close to the characters. I especially loved the shots of looking through the crack of a door and a mirror to see the reflection of a character. It's a way of keeping track of the characters without having the same boring shot. There's also times when the camera purposely chooses a different path because it will meet up with the character again.

Then there's Elizabeth Olsen. Thanks to the movie nearly always having her in frame, it was vital that Olsen deliver the goods. I thought she was great in her role and I easily got behind her and was concerned for her well being. She may have received a lot of initial attention for being the Olsen Twins little known younger sister, but she's becoming a mega breakthrough star because she's an amazing actress. Her work in Martha Marcy May Marlene backs that up.

But then...the ending...

Spoiler:

Let's go back in time to late 2005. I had just blindly bought the DVD to High Tension. I loved that movie. It was nearly perfect. The only thing that kept it from being perfect was the twist ending. Basically, I felt the twist was unnecessary. Sometimes it's okay to have an overly simple script. Bad guy comes, fucks things up, you kill him in the end. There isn't anything fancy about that, but that's part of it's charm. It doesn't try too hard.

Now, that was nearly seven years ago. Since then, we've had Shrooms, Secret Window, Perfect Stranger, The Number 23, Madhouse and probably several others that I'm forgetting. That's not even counting movies like Identity and Hide and Seek that came out before late 2005. We see this same fucking ending so often that it's no longer fresh, creative or shocking. It's flat out boring and it can ruin a good movie. Why does everything need to have a twist ending? Despite his success, there's a reason why people mock M. Night Shyamalan these days. Doing twists in every movie is a joke. Sometimes, the primitive and overly simply conclusion is perfect.

Take the movie Ils for example. That's a movie that didn't have a twist ending (Okay, so it did, but the victims weren't the killers, so whatever). That movie is so great because they spent the entire time building up the suspense and it had a natural conclusions. Sometimes in life, bad guys just exist. Michael Myers was not a split personality of Laurie Strodes. He was just a psycho who went on a killing spree. STOP ADDING THIS STUPID TWIST!

Despite issues with the script and ending, the movie has a great atmosphere, interesting camera work and gives moviegoers yet another reason to love Elizabeth Olsen (And her wonderful chesticles).

Curtain Jerker

Status

Plan on watching this tomorrow. I've already heard the twist sucks from the OG so I won't be holding my breath for anything too groundbreaking.

Thread Information