Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Official SmackDown Discussion Thread - October 2011

Big Guy Admin

Status

Smackdown The Official SmackDown Discussion Thread - October 2011

Yes we're retiring the old Smackdown thread which lasted 10 months, and trying out monthly threads for the blue brand.

<acronym title="World Wrestling Entertainment" style="border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-variant: normal; cursor: help; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); ">WWE</acronym> Smackdown - 7th October 2011

A GIANT RETURN

For the first time since having his leg broken by Mark Henry after their match at Summerslam, The Big Show will return to Smackdown with only one man in his sights - The World Heavyweight Champion. Some people have suggested that The Big Show should be credited for his role in Mark Henry's change of fortunes, telling Henry to his face earlier this summer that he's been a sleeping giant for 15 years and beating Henry to the point that he needed to be stretchered out of the arena. Show light a fire under Mark Henry that saw The World's Strongest Man finally wake up, winning the World title three weeks ago, but on route to the title, Show was one of the many victims to be taken out of action by Henry. But now the Giant has returned, pissed off and ready for revenge, could he be the only man who can stop Mark Henry?

CONFIRMED MATCHES

Alberto Del Rio vs Sin Cara
    Air Boom vs Dolph Ziggler and Jack Swagger
    Beth Phoenix vs Alicia Fox
    Ezekiel Jackson vs Jinder Mahal
    Cody Rhodes and Christian vs Sheamus and Randy Orton

The two tag matches could be really good, particularly the main event, 4 of the best workers in the WWE at the moment. It will also be interesting to see how they handle the walk out from Raw (well to those who haven't read the spoilers it will)

Fire and blood

Status

Re: The Official SmackDown Discussion Thread - October 2011

I thought the opening promo kinda dragged. I don't care for this angle since a lot of the carnage over the past few weeks has been on Smackdown. On the plus side, Del Rio has been showing way more personality in the past couple of weeks and isn't coming across as the same old ****. Outside of two pretty awesome spots (the German suplex and the tornado DDT), his match with Sin Cara wasn't good. It made Del Rio look strong though. I can't believe they're continuing Sin Cara vs Sin Cara (even if Sin Cara Negro has badass music) given how the fans reacted to it at HIAC.

Swagger and Ziggler vs Kofi and Evan was good stuff. It actually feels like they're actually trying with the tag division. Plus Swagger and Ziggler are two of my favourites so I'm happy they're getting a decent amount of TV time.

Mark Henry and Big Show are continuing on their excellent feud. I thought Big Show's return, Henry's reaction, the brawls and the announce table spot were all very well done. They had a very good feud going into MITB and they've kept it up this week. I'm looking forward to the rest of their feud. Speaking of the World Title, I liked Orton's interview saying that he'll go through SmackDown if he had to get to Henry again. I like the whole "back of the line" mentality and hopefully they don't do Henry/Orton III for a few months.

Runaway Train.

Status

"I thought the show was over. I had to go to the bathroom. I don't know nothin' 'bout no walkout." -- Booker T, explaining why he walked out of RAW on Monday.

GOLD, Book. Pure gold. I loved that.
    I am here to stir things up I'm here to make Friday Night SmackDown! the Monday Night RAW of Friday nights!

Big Guy Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Neon View Post
    "I thought the show was over. I had to go to the bathroom. I don't know nothin' 'bout no walkout." -- Booker T, explaining why he walked out of RAW on Monday.

GOLD, Book. Pure gold. I loved that.
    Damn straight, I've pretty much done a 180 on the Book Man, although he got into my bad books for pissing around with Hornswoggle.

My Live Musings on the show:

- I’m never a fan of multi man promos were everyone gets 30 seconds to talk, just have one guy be the spokesman of the group. Have to say a lot of them got really strong heel reactions, specifically Cody, who looks great with the classic belt btw
    - Agree with Shockmaster – that german suplex was fantastic, loved the replays
    - Oh, Cara v Cara is still continuing. What was the point in proclaiming Sin Cara won the right for the gimmick at the ppv then
    - from the vault was Jamie Noble v Hornswoggle for the Crusierweight title
    - dug the whole Air Boom v Team Vickie angle, looks like they’re setting up a rematch for the titles at Vengeance which I’d be in favour of. It’s so nice for the WWE to be attempting to book a tag team feud, the divisions got a breath of fresh air about it since McGillitunga dropped the titles. Also this was the first I heard of Air Boom’s new music, but I didn’t get much chance to listen to it thanks to Ziggler and Swagger (Quite glad they are scrapping that mash up because I didn’t like it, although I miss born to win)
    - So is Alicia Fox a face now, when did that happen. Man this three way torture ending to Divas matches is heading in a very un-PG direction
    - Man Show’s overselling a broken ankle – MAN UP. Show being a pussy aside, really good set up for a Henry v Show match at Vengeance, I’m down for a little buffer match until a more realistic challenger comes along for Henry.
    - So we can find time for Ezekiel Jackson and Jinder Mahal having a match and Booker T and Hornswoggle doing the spinarooni when both brands are on the show, but we can’t find anytime for Daniel Bryan. Poor use of time WWE
    - Jinder tapping on Zeke’s head made me chuckle – that’s all I can say about this match
    - Christian/Cody v Sheamus/Orton was pretty good, but felt short to me. When Smackdown is supposed to be the show that focuses on the wrestling, 6 minutes is a little short for a main event.
    - Dug the Mark Henry/Big Show 2nd segment a lot more than I enjoyed the first one. Bit of an odd way to reward Show putting a guy through a table, giving him a world title shot. But that’s the set up, and I’m fully in favour of them having a little feud, something of an alternative to those not enjoying the Triple H saga.

Final Thoughts – 2 weeks ago I thought the show was crap, last week I thought the show was great, this week I think it’s middle of the road. The main event tag match and Cara/Del Rio were enjoyable, but they felt like they could have gone a few minutes more, the divas match and Mahal/Zeke were essentially duds for me. One thing I really loved was storyline progression, Show returned, got his revenge and set up a world title match and we’ve got a little tag team feud brewing which is always good to see. Let’s just have Danielson on the show next week pretty please.

Big Guy Admin

Status

<acronym title="World Wrestling Entertainment" style="font-size: medium; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-variant: normal; cursor: help; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); ">WWE</acronym> Smackdown - 14th October 2011

HAS MARK HENRY FINALLY MET HIS MATCH?

Last week on Smackdown, The World's Largest Athlete, The Big Show made a triumphant return to Smackdown, vowing revenge against the man who cost him almost four months of his career, The World Heavyweight Champion, Mark Henry. Early in the evening, Big Show addressed the fans saying he had his sights on dethroning Mark Henry as World Champion, challenging him to a match at Vengeance, a challenge that Henry would go on to reject. Unfortunately for Henry, after being chokeslammed through the announcers table, Teddy Long awarded Big Show the title match anyway if he resisted the temptation to break Henry's leg in the same manner he broke Show's earlier this year. Show decided against his eye for an eye strategy and the match was set for Vengeance, Henry v Show, World title on the line. Expect more fireworks between these two behemoths with the title match 9 days away.

CONFIRMED MATCHES

Beth Phoenix vs Kelly Kelly
    Sin Cara vs Justin Gabriel
    Sheamus vs Alberto Del Rio
    Jack Swagger and Dolph Ziggler vs Kofi Kingston and Zack Ryder
    plus an over the top battle royal

If you're still feeling the effects of a hangover from that God awful Raw, might I suggest watching Smackdown as an antidote. Looking at the confirmed matches, we could be in for a good show, hopefully Sheamus vs Alberto Del Rio is given plenty of time, could take match of the week.

Big Guy Admin

Status

My god what a horrible week the WWE have had, I usually never enjoy Raw, not in full anyway, but there's always something on the Blue Brand that holds my interest - not so much this week.

The battle royal was meh, I've never been a big fan of them, if you've seen one, you've seen them all. Some of the eliminations were a bit of a shame, Cody going out first for example, and why the hell did Jinder Mahal last so long. Sheamus v Alberto Del Rio was fine, but I really hate Alberto using an enzuigiri as a finisher, doesn’t have that much impact for me, at least use the top rope version to end matches. Setting up Christian v Sheamus is fine with me as they had a great match last time out, only problem is the winner will be obvious yet again. And where was all the Show v Henry stuff, according the preview wwe.com had up, that was supposed to be the main focus of the show, and yet all we had was a run in save from Show right at the end, disappointing.

The only thing I really liked about the show was Sin Cara Negro stealing the mask, but that was about it the match that followed was too short for my liking. The tag match was pretty good, probably the match of the week but that’s not saying much.

Not a great week for the WWE to put on what with TNA's biggest show tonight.

Fire and blood

Status

Pretty bad show (although not anywhere close to Raw), ironically the only good stuff came in the tag match between 4 Raw wrestlers. I'm so sick of battle royals although the final segment with Miz/Orton was pretty cool. The Sin Cara feud vs Sin Cara feud really needs to go away and Booker's commentating was absolutely awful for his match.

The Christian/Sheamus feud has been well booked and I'm looking forward to their match. Nothing else on SmackDown was that good.

Big Guy Admin

Status

<acronym title="World Wrestling Entertainment" style="border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-variant: normal; cursor: help; font-size: medium; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); ">WWE</acronym> Smackdown - 21st October 2011

MASK VS MASK

Since his WWE debut earlier this year, Mexican sensation Sin Cara has proved quite a hit with select members of the WWE Universe who are in awe of his high flying ability. However Sin Cara's great start came to a brutal hault in July at Money In The Bank when he was powerbombed through a ladder by The Celtic Warrior, Sheamus, and was stretched out of the biggest match of his career so far. The injuries sustained during the MITB match were expected to keep Sin Cara out of action for a considerable amount of time, so the WWE Universe were certainly caught off guard when Cara returned to action a few weeks later 100% fit and unhampered by injuries. But there was something not quite right about Sin Cara, he seemed edgier, more aggressive and was using moves we previously hadn't seen him hit before. The mystery was solved a month ago when a second Sin Cara appeared on our screens to confront the 'imposter' Cara about stealing his identity and the two luchadors began to feud with each other. A few weeks later it was revealed that the imposter Cara's motive dates back to a time when he had his Mistico identity stolen by the original Cara, and now he's back to return the favour. The first match at Hell in a Cell went in favour of Sin Cara Azul when he rolled up Sin Cara Negro for a 3 count, a victory that was supposed to give Azul the right to call himself the one true Sin Cara; however weeks of beatdown's by Cara Negro have ensured that the bad blood between the two masked superstars continues. This week as the WWE's tour of Mexico continues with the Blue Brand in town, Sin Cara Azul will take on Sin Cara Negro in a mask vs mask match, where the loser will be forced to unmask to the world.

CONFIRMED MATCHES

Sin Cara Azul vs Sin Cara Negro
    Alberto Del Rio vs Big Show
    Superhero Daniel Bryan vs Wade Barrett
    Mark Henry vs John Morrison

What's this, Daniel Bryan back on Smackdown, stop the presses. Hopefully with only four matches on the show, he can have enough time to get something good out of Wade, Cara vs Cara I'm all for on Smackdown rather than Vengeance, nice to give Mexico something they'll dig. Oh and good luck JoMo

Indy Talent

Status

Wouldn't it be neat of while the two Sin Cara's were wrestling, Rey Mysterio showed up? *Or,* while Alberto Del Rio is wrestling, let a Sin Cara come into the ring and throw a mask onto the canvas in front of Del Rio(correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Del Rio originally a 'masked' wrestler while in Mexico?) Maybe this could be construed to Del Rio as a challenge; ala 'pick up the mask dude, and put it on and fight like you used to..'or..?

Underdog

Status

I quite liked this week's SmackDown. A strong start with Del Rio coming out and hamming up the crowd and Teddy Long making his match with Big Show official. Huge props for the decision to have Ziggler double booked at Vengeance, gives off a feel of the fighting champion and hungry contender. Even if Ziggler jobs both matches, he comes out looking great and as you can see on my profile, I'm a big fan of his. Ryder having a shot at a title is another big deal, Ryder is definitely a great new star rising and that match should be nothing short of a barn burner.

Henry against Morrison was puzzling. Henry destroyed Morrison Monday, why rehash it? Regardless, it was short and sweet as expected and Jobber Morrison struck again with a win clean for Henry. I'm hoping that either WWE releases JoMo soon or he starts getting some wins again, this seems dangerous jobbing him so often. Henry is rubbing off on me, I'm liking him as champion and when put with the right workers he's straight up magic. Time will tell how things go.

Barrett against Bryan was awesome, fun little match that showed Bryan as a fighter and gives Barrett a great mean streak going forward. I'm glad to see WWE investing in Barrett again seeing as they kind of forgot about him over the summer. I'm not a fan of jobbing Bryan so much though since he won MITB, I'm hoping for a resurgence in the coming month and onward none the less a strong segment.

The tag with Ryder and Sheamus against Ziggler and Christian was very good. Ziggler doing what he does best, bumping like a madman and making both of his opponents look great. Christian's chicken-**** heel gimmick gets over nicely and I'm pumped for the match Sunday with Sheamus.

Rhodes' promo on Orton was really good. I just hate his mannerisms that are obviously over produced. Let the guy talk normally and he's fine, this overdramatic delivery gets annoying to me. Orton coming out and saving it with some violence was great and Rhodes took advantage of Orton killing his minions. Rhodes makes him pay with some harsh beat down until he's taken down and runs off, so that Orton can drop one of his lackeys with a DDT through the ropes and a RKO. Good segment that makes me care about the match on Sunday.

Cara vs Cara, with the masks on the line was surprisingly awesome. Very little botching and of those that happened they weren't terribly obvious or horrendous. As expected, time was restrained heavily and Sin Cara Original wins! Cara two demasked and he looks...hispanic. Duh, we'll see how they go with him because he's honestly very good in the ring.

Del Rio against Big Show was typical of a smaller guy versus bigger guy. Fun little spots up to the end where Ricardo Rodriguez caused a DQ. Cue Super Saiyan Big Show! Knock out punch to Ricardo and a great old school sell. Del Rio gets nailed and kinda half sells and out comes Henry who gets nailed and drops like a rock with arms out, he's finished! Great build up for the pay-per-view.

All in all, good show. Sunday will be fun.

Runaway Train.

Status

Bag-boy sold Orton's moves like a pro.
    I am here to stir things up I'm here to make Friday Night SmackDown! the Monday Night RAW of Friday nights!

Believe

Status

That pop for Sin Cara Azul was expected, yet really awesome. Can't wait for Vengeance.

Free Agent

Status

I'm kind of bummed. I didn't watch the show live and my DVR didn't record the show. Therefore I have no comment on the show yet. I'll catch the show online later today.

Big Guy Admin

Status

I thought Smackdown was decent and I quite enjoyed the mask vs mask match, I'm glad they decided to put it on in Mexico rather than Vengeance because the great dug it a hell of a lot more than the crowd at Hell in a Cell, you could hear a pin drop in that match the fans were so disinterested.

I ain't gonna beg

Status

Totally marked for the La Mistica.
    I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Last Real Man Hype

Status

My interest in the feud itself is dead, but the match was perfectly acceptable and fun. Anyone who complains about botches in that is just nitpicking. Same goes for a couple other Sin Cara matches.

I got a laugh out of Booker calling Sin Cara Negro ugly, despite looking like just an ordinary Mexican guy.

2014 ROH Matches Ranking:

#1. Jay Briscoe, reDRagon & Jay Lethal vs. ACH, Roderick Strong, Tommaso Ciampa & Adam Cole - Champions vs. All-Stars

#2. Roderick Strong vs. AJ Styles - ROH on SBG 1/2/14
    #3. Adam Cole vs. Jay Briscoe - Ladder War V
    #4. Adam Cole vs. Kevin Steen - Global Wars
    #5. Adam Cole vs. Chris Hero - 12th Anniversary Show

Spoiler:

#6. Tommaso Ciampa vs. Hanson - 12th Anniversary Show
    #7. Kevin Steen & The Young Bucks vs. Michael Elgin & The Briscoes - Raising the Bar - Night 1
    #8. Michael Elgin vs. Kevin Steen - Supercard of Honor VIII
    #9. Adam Cole vs. Chris Hero - Ringmaster's Challenge
    #10. The Young Bucks vs. Forever Hooligans vs. The Time Splitters - Global Wars

2014 Five Worst ROH Matches Ranking:
    #5. Brutal Burgers vs. RD Evans & Moose - Field Of Honor
    #4. Caprice Coleman vs. Michael Elgin - ROH on SBG 22/11/14
    #3. The Romantic Touch vs. Caprice Coleman - State of the Art
    #2. Corey Hollis vs. Mike Posey - Top Prospect Tournament (Round 1)
    #1. Alex Reigns vs. Weezy Woo - State of the Art

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Big Guy Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh. View Post
    I got a laugh out of Booker calling Sin Cara Negro ugly, despite looking like just an ordinary Mexican guy.
    Yeah screw the "What a dishonour to be unmasked in Mexico - what an embarrassed for Cara Negro"

"Dude is ugly" - Booker calls it how he sees it

I ain't gonna beg

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh. View Post
    My interest in the feud itself is dead, but the match was perfectly acceptable and fun. Anyone who complains about botches in that is just nitpicking. Same goes for a couple other Sin Cara matches.

Are you being serious about the match being fun and the nitpicking? Because if so... I like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Yeah screw the "What a dishonour to be unmasked in Mexico - what an embarrassed for Cara Negro"

"Dude is ugly" - Booker calls it how he sees it
    When you say it like that it sounds hilarious.
    I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

A Big Ball of fuNNN

Status

I was surprised when Azul actually did the La Mistica, but I really shouldn't have been. They knew it'd go over huge in Mexico. Maybe my surprise was directed at how not botchy it was.

Fire and blood

Status

Decent showin terms of wrestling, but a little odd in terms of booking in places. I don't see the point in running Big Show vs Del Rio when it wasn't anything above average and neither guy could lose so we were pretty much guaranteed the DQ finish. It was just booking themselves into a corner for no reason when they could have easily given Del Rio someone else to wrestle instead. The mask match was pretty good, as was Bryan/Barrett, while Henry squashing Morrison was fun, as expected.

Thread Information