PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)
    Donald Cerrone vs. Dennis Siver
    Tyson Griffin vs. Bart Palaszewski

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)
    Eliot Marshall vs. Brandon Vera
    Danny Downes vs. Ramsey Nijem
    Chris Camozzi vs. Francis Carmont
    Dustin Jacoby vs. Clifford Starks
    Last edited by Hammer; 10-24-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Resident MMA Junkie

Status

Re: UFC 137: St. Pierre vs Diaz Preview & Discussion

This is the fight I can not wait for this year. All around descent card but the main event will be worth the purchase price alone.

G.O.A.T

Status

I hope GSP finishes Diaz, just to shut up his haters.

Simply The Greatest

Status

I'm pumped for this show but could see it disappointing. Based on prior fights, especially against Dan Hardy, there is no reason for a soul to believe that GSP will finish Diaz. Condit will also probably fight safe (and probably rightfully so) since this is likely his only remaining chance to get a WW title shot. Hopefully Nelson finishes Cro Cop early. If not, that could be an UGLY fight. Kongo vs Mitrione should be fun to watch. Great card on paper, but I'm skeptical as to whether or not it can deliver.

Resident MMA Junkie

Status
    If you think Nick Diaz is going to play it safe your crazy. Have you guys watched many of his fights?

Edit: Read that wrong. Diaz will be in his face though, I do think this fight will be ended early, one way or another. Condit won't fight safe, he is already inline for a title shot. Actually if it wasn't for the Diaz fight he wouldn't have even accepted this fights. If he looses the fight he will still be ok. He's a young guy with a lot of talent. This is no where near his last shot.
    Last edited by Hammer; 08-31-2011 at 09:56 AM.

GSP! GSP! GSP!

Status

Pumped for this card. GSP vs. Diaz will be a fight for the ages. GSP's biggest test so far.
    BJ vs. Carlos could be very interesting, and I'm assuming whoever wins gets the next title shot.
    Meathead vs. Kongo will be one to watch too. Meathead is going for his fifth straight win and this should catapult him into the upper echelon of heavyweight fighters.
    Cro Cop vs. Big Country should go one of two ways: Cro Cop gets brutally knocked out, or Roy Nelson gets brutally knocked out. Either way I'm pleased.
    Hioki's debut will be great to watch, and with some luck he will make short work of Roop and then get the next Featherweight title shot.
    Cerrone vs. Siver shouldn't be on the prelims. The fight could very well determine who gets the next LW title shot after Maynard and Guida (**** the lightweight division is stacked).
    Sick card.

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

Oooh man this is going to be one hell of a main card. I'm excited.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Ufc Nick Diaz Pulled from UFC 137, replaced by Carlos Condit in Welterweight Title Fight

Nick Diaz out, Carlos Condit in against champ Georges St-Pierre at UFC 137

LAS VEGAS – Carlos Condit (27-5 MMA, 4-1 UFC) has replaced Nick Diaz (25-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) and now fights UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) at next month's UFC 137 event.

At a press conference in Las Vegas, UFC president Dana White today announced the news, citing difficulties in getting Diaz to show up for scheduled media events this week.

"He looked me right in my face and lied to me and told me he'd do [the promotional commitments]," said White, who played a video promoting Condit as Diaz's replacement. "Nick Diaz can't handle the pressure of a major main event. ... That's what I think."

UFC 137 takes place Oct. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The night's main card, including St-Pierre vs. Condit, airs on pay-per-view.

Condit was scheduled to fight B.J. Penn in the co-headliner of UFC 137. That fight obviously has been scrapped, and White said he'll need to talk to Penn about a possible next fight.

White expressed his disgust and disappointment with Diaz, who no-showed Tuesday's press conference in Toronto and today's presser in Vegas. Diaz left Strikeforce and vacated his welterweight bout to re-sign with the UFC, where he hasn't fought in five years, for the opportunity to fight St-Pierre.

"I've had my reservations about this kid," White said. "Nick Diaz has lost his opportunity at the welterweight championship, and Carlos Condit has gotten it."

White said Condit, the WEC's final 170-pound champ, clearly wanted the opportunity.

"When we called Carlos, he started crying and had to call us back 15 minutes later because he was so happy," White said.

"I just don't understand how someone doesn't show up for an opportunity like this," St-Pierre said of Diaz. "I just can't believe it. It's amazing."

Credit: mmajunkie.com
    This is pretty shocking. First of all, its really dumb of Diaz to have no-shown the press conferences, but at the same time, I'm a little surprised that Dana White pulled him from the fight, although the more I think about it, the more I can understand it. It seems nobody can get a hold of Nick Diaz right now. Very strange indeed. I'm sure we'll learn more about this in the coming hours.

Resident MMA Junkie

Status

Re: Nick Diaz Pulled from UFC 137, replaced by Carlos Condit in Welterweight Title Fi

I saw this coming as soon as I heard about the no-show. It was the major thing Dana was trying to hash out with Diaz before he signed him and he skips the first one. I was looking forward to this fight more than any other this year but I can not blame Dana at all.

Here's a question...where does this leave BJ Penn?

GSP! GSP! GSP!

Status

Re: Nick Diaz Pulled from UFC 137, replaced by Carlos Condit in Welterweight Title Fi

I don't like Diaz whatsoever so I can't say that I am dissapointed that he isn't fighting. The fight would've been good but I'm sure Carlos will more than bring it to GSP.

Oh and Hammer, Jon Fitch has said that he wants to step in but Dana has shut that down and has said that he has a crazy idea for an opponent set up for BJ. Needless to say, I'm excited to hear who.

GSP! GSP! GSP!

Status

Ufc Dana working on an opponent for BJ Penn at UFC 137 that will 'make you guys flip out'

Of all the phone calls he had to make following Nick Diaz's no-show of a press conference in support of UFC 137, Dana White wasn't thrilled about informing B.J. Penn (16-7-2 MMA, 12-6-2 UFC) that he had poached the fighter's original opponent, Carlos Condit (27-5 MMA, 4-1 UFC), to headline opposite welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre.

"B.J. doesn't know anything," White said today following a sudden announcement that Diaz (25-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) had been bounced from his fight with St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC). "I'm sure I'm going to have one seriously pissed off Hawaiian to deal with."

Penn will undoubtedly be asking what White's plan is, and as he today told MMA Junkie , it might be a radical plan.

"I'm working on that now," White said. "If I told you what I want to do with that fight you guys would flip out, so we'll see what happens."

Any hints?

"Feel free to tell us," MMAjunkie.com Radio host "Gorgeous" George Garcia piped up.

Negative.

"I'll tell you if I can get it done," White said.

There are, of course, plenty of hungry welterweights dying to jump into the mix. Before Diaz's ouster, Penn vs. Condit was widely expected to face the winner of St-Pierre vs. Diaz.

Perennial contender Jon Fitch has already signaled his readiness to step into the spot, as he was scheduled to fight Penn at UFC 132 before a shoulder injury took him out of the picture. (Penn also said he was injured and sat out the event this past July.)

However, White ruled that option out today in an interview with HeavyMMA.com.

No other welterweights reside on the UFC 137 card, so the replacement would likely come from an un-booked fighter or one scheduled to fight around the same time frame as the event, which takes place Oct. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

Fitch teammate Josh Koscheck certainly isn't available. He stepped in for an injured Diego Sanchez to fight Matt Hughes at UFC 135.

Looking across the roster, many of the top welterweights are booked or coming off fights.

So who is it?

White isn't ready to reveal that one just yet.

credit: MMA Junkie
    Absolutely pumped to hear this. Dana never let's us down with these announcements.
    As for who it is, I'm going to swing for the fences and guess either a). Nick Diaz or b.) Anderson Silva dropping down to 175 or at a catchweight for a fight with BJ to help Dana out.

Both are freaking crazy ideas but other than that it would have to be someone from another weight class. Not sure who in the welterweight division would make us flip out or be a viable opponent for BJ.

Anyone else got any idea who?

Gentleman Psychopath

Status

Doubt Diaz will be on this card now
    My BTB: Gotham City Stories

#Inshadewetrust #ShadeArmy #Hashtag

Resident MMA Junkie

Status

Re: Dana working on an opponent for BJ Penn at UFC 137 that will 'make you guys flip

I would honestly have to say that the only fighter I think I would stand up and take notice of is Diaz, but I imagine thats not happening. Other than that I would say Thiago Alves, Charlie Brenneman, Rick Story, or Brian Ebersole. Unless they pull some major switching and screw themselves for their more recent event and get Shields.

Gentleman Psychopath

Status

Re: Dana working on an opponent for BJ Penn at UFC 137 that will 'make you guys flip

Akiyama maybe

A Gracie

My BTB: Gotham City Stories

#Inshadewetrust #ShadeArmy #Hashtag

Resident MMA Junkie

Status

Indeed he is not unless they put him in against BJ Penn.

Resident MMA Junkie

Status

A Gracie? Like who? Royce would be the only one we would loose it for. Akiyama is one I didn't think of and he is teasing switching to welter weight but that would be a soon fight for his first cut.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by That Dude View Post
    Oh and Hammer, Jon Fitch has said that he wants to step in but Dana has shut that down and has said that he has a crazy idea for an opponent set up for BJ. Needless to say, I'm excited to hear who.
    Even if Dana didn't have a crazy idea, he probably wouldn't let Fitch fight Penn again because he hates Fitch

Resident MMA Junkie

Status

The main problem is, even though he is a top ten fighter, he is so boring to watch and no one even cares about the rematch.

Resident MMA Junkie

Status

Ufc Shocker: Nick Diaz rebooked to meet B.J. Penn in UFC 137 co-main event

Shocker: Nick Diaz rebooked to meet B.J. Penn in UFC 137 co-main event

nick-diaz-17.jpg

Shortly after he booted Nick Diaz from a title fight with UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre, UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) that reporters would "flip out" if they knew whom he was putting opposite B.J. Penn, whose original opponent Carlos Condit was promoted to meet St-Pierre.

And considering the past 48 hours, White is not too far off the mark.

The UFC president today tweeted that Diaz (25-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) has been re-booked to meet Penn (16-7-2 MMA, 12-6-2 UFC) in the co-main event of UFC 137, which takes place on Oct. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Diaz lost the opportunity to fight St-Pierre when he no-showed two press conferences in support of the fall event including one Wednesday in Las Vegas, where White announced his decision to give Condit the fight.

"I'm still blown away by this thing," White told MMAjunkie.com. "I've got to take a couple of days and figure this thing out."

On Wednesday, White said he hadn't decided whether to cut Diaz in light of his misbehavior but said this week's episode had been costly to the UFC.

As the announcement of the replacement main event took place, Diaz's manager Cesar Gracie told MMAjunkie.com that the fighter "got what he deserved" but was unsure on whether the UFC had cut him.

The answer is now clear as day.

Diaz this past June signed a new contract with the UFC that gave him the fight with St-Pierre and relieved him of his duties as Strikeforce welterweight champion. It also put the kibosh on a professional boxing career, which he had been within an inch of pursuing before Zuffa came calling.

In a video released after his ouster, Diaz showed little remorse for missing the Las Vegas press conference other than to say he was sorry for missing the "beauty pageant."

Diaz brings a 10-fight win streak into the fight that included three defenses of his Strikeforce belt. This past April, he dispatched Paul Daley at "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Daley" in an action-packed slugfest that piqued White's interest in signing him.

Penn, meanwhile, returns to action for the first time since a disappointing draw with Jon Fitch at UFC 127.

Credit: mmajunkie.com
    Even though he definitely got what he deserved, I am glad he is back on this card. If he looses I bet the cut him.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

It is indeed Nick Diaz. Dana White just tweeted it about 25 minutes ago. Wow.

Thread Information