Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The WWE dropped the ball with Punk. Why am I not surprised.

On Vacation

Status

The WWE dropped the ball with Punk. Why am I not surprised.

Punk was in the hottest angle in the WWE in a LONG time, and everyone was into it. Punk went from losing a ton of matches and making the top stars look good to be pretty much the top guy in the WWE that is not named Cena or Orton.

Punk has more talent than both of them combined in the ring and on the mic. He made wrestling (in the wwe) fun to watch again and even pushed the kayfabe line where some people were not sure if it was a work or a shoot. That is how good he was.

He had two of the best PPV matches in years and made Cena look like vintage Cena before he became Corp PG Cena. After putting the WWE in the mainstream news how does the WWE repay him after getting him to re-sign??? They put him in a grudge match with Nash while Cena who is very stale goes on to feud with ADR?

I have no problem with ADR getting the belt, but why not let his feud be with Punk? The WWE has lightening in a bottle with Punk and they are wasting it. Cena should be the person feuding with Nash not Punk. I would even take HHH vs Punk over Punk vs Nash. Nash cant even wrestling, what is he like 50 now? How is that even going to get Punk over? Oh he beat up a has been? UGH God forbid they have him lose to Nash.

Punk proved he can headline a PPV and make the WWE money but they are wasting him in this stupid over the hill Nash feud.

The WWE needs to see if Punk can carry the company, Cena and Orton cant do it alone. I wont even get into how it sickens me he is the WHC again.

But the WWE is getting so boring and unwatchable when Cena and Orton are always in the title picture.

Its time for them to let some new stars run with it. Cena had his time. Its Punks time now.

A lot of peoples worse fears have come true that the WWE would screw us this Punk angle and they have.

The only thing that could save it would be Cena turning heel to feud with Punk and the sad thing is, that wouldnt even work because the WWE booked the rock vs cena at WM. that woudl have been the perfect place to headline Heel Cena vs Punk.

I just hope to god that Rock vs Cena at WM is not for the title. Cena should not see the title around his waste again until at the very least 2013

CM Punk could be Austin big if they play their cards right but right now they are not with this Nash thing.
    Last edited by jericho2k; 08-23-2011 at 12:09 AM.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Re: The WWE dropped the ball with Punk. Why am I not surprised.

It's too early to say that they've dropped the ball. While I've not been very happy with the fact he's seemingly going to have a match with Kevin Nash, and that he was rushed back, I think the best thing to do is to see how it pans out. I don't see how they've dropped the ball though considering he's getting at least as much time as John Cena on TV these days. WWE clearly sees how big a star they have on their hands, they're just biding their time. And if Punk goes through a long journey going through all these obstacles like Nash, HHH and it all culminates with him winning the title, we could end up saying "wow, that payoff was well worth it". As a comparison, WWE didn't rush to give Austin the WWF Title when he was at the height of his popularity. Instead they let him wait and he got the title at Wrestlemania, a year after his face turn. Obviously it's a little different since Punk has already been champion, but they can keep Punk's momentum up without him holding the title as long as they keep him a focus of the show.

I don't trust WWE with a long term story like that, but it's certainly possible that they have a much bigger picture for Punk. As long as he gets lots of mic time and he keeps getting the reactions he's getting, I'm not worried.
    Last edited by Shock; 08-23-2011 at 12:10 AM.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

CM Punk Mark

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada

I dont think they dropped the ball, if anything Punk is in a higher profile feud because i think this fued with Punk/HHH/Nash is really gonna elevate Punk to a whole new level. Your right about that it is getting really boring and tedious with Cena and Orton Champions but I think punk will get his time and that 2012 is when we really see punk shine.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Shockmaster View Post
    It's too early to say that they've dropped the ball. While I've not been very happy with the fact he's seemingly going to have a match with Kevin Nash, and that he was rushed back, I think the best thing to do is to see how it pans out. I don't see how they've dropped the ball though considering he's getting at least as much time as John Cena on TV these days. WWE clearly sees how big a star they have on their hands, they're just biding their time. And if Punk goes through a long journey going through all these obstacles like Nash, HHH and it all culminates with him winning the title, we could end up saying "wow, that payoff was well worth it".

I don't trust WWE with a long term story like that, but it's certainly possible that they have a much bigger picture for Punk. As long as he gets lots of mic time and he keeps getting the reactions he's getting, I'm not worried.

I agree with what you are saying, but we have just seen the WWE drop the ball on long storylines.
    I really hope it is going somewhere (like Nash being ADRs body guard which leads to a feud with ADR). I guess it would not be so bad if it was not Cena getting yet another title shot before Punk.

I do agree as long as Punk gets a ton of mic time it may be ok. I just am sick of seeing Cena always getting this title shots when more talented wrestlers are not.

CO-Captain Darkness

Status

I think its too ear;y to say they have. It is still just a couple weeks coming from Summerslam, and they haven't taken him out of the main event picture. The match tonight says Cena will get a title shot, but doesn't say punk is not going to be involved. I could easily see a 3 way match at the next PPV. Also, Punk was at the beginning, mid point, and end of Raw. They are using him A LOT. I think we'll have to wait a bit down the road and then look at what has happened over a longer period of time before the jury is out on this one.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    us=United States

At first I wasn't too keen about the new direction of Punk from Summerslam on, and by no means do I want Kevin Nash to be wrestling, but looking at it now, it's really not a horrible thing yet. With Punk feuding with Cena, he was destined to go downhill in terms of who he was going to feud with. Look at Miz for example, he went from beating Cena in the main event of WrestleMania to interacting with Jared from Subway in less than 5 months. But with Punk in the middle of this Nash/HHH/Steph/Lauriniaitis story, he is still a huge part of Raw, and this is probably the best way to keep him at the top of Raw without him directly feuding with Cena.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

It's somewhat random, but it gives him something to do. Face it, John Cena and The Rock are headlining WrestleMania. That's been determined. Next best thing? CM Punk vs HHH? Or CM Punk versus someone else they've built up in the meantime. If Cena/Rock weren't already set in stone, I would be disappointed. But that's how it is.

I'm hoping something incredible will happen at Night of Champions. I'm hoping CM Punk will come out on top. I don't even need him to win the match, necessarily. What I'd like to see, considering it looks like Nash vs Punk is inevitable at this point:
    • Punk vs. Nash at Night of Champions hyped up by Punk as something he wants.
    • CM Punk promo where he warns Kevin Nash and HHH that all hell will break loose if he gets screwed.
    • John Laurinitis comes out from the backstage area and the commentators warn of impending shenanigans.
    • Laurinitis is now ringside as Triple H appears at the top of the stage, pissed off.
    • Laurinitis causes a distraction and Punk eats a Jacknife.
    • Triple H yells at Laurinitis as Kevin Nash makes the pin, and wins. Kevin Nash wins.
    • Trips gets in the ring and argues with Kevin Nash. Laurinitis gets in to stop him from doing anything "rash."
    • Trips looks legitimately pissed off at Kevin Nash. At the very least, it appears that Triple H does not approve.
    • Before they can get down to the bottom of things, three men jump the barricade with steel chairs.
    • They destroy everyone in the ring except CM Punk.
    • The three men are the Kings of Wrestling with Colt Cabana.
    Or something to that extent. I really feel they could have extended a few of the story hooks they've had in the "CM Punk Storyline" but they seemed to rush a lot of things. Now, in a strange twist, we need something to breathe life back into things. Tonight's finish was silly on a "dropping the ball" level, so maybe this could give them a little more leverage to do some "outside of the box" things without resorting to shenanigans like tonight.

I'm not saying it's the best idea in the world, or even where I would like us to be at right now, ideally, but given the circumstances, I think this could really liven up an angle that seems to be running out of steam for no reason at all. Punk vs. Authority with his boys to back him up, to me, would be more interesting than Punk all by his lonesome getting screwed out of things the way we saw tonight (not to sound like a broken record, but it was really bad, and an unnecessary choice). We've already seen Austin vs. the world. If this is going to be original, Punk should toss aside the "Don't Trust Anyone" mentality and be smart.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

Internet Favorite

Status

I'm gonna be completely honest I skipped everything, simply because they haven't he's the biggest part of the of the show and involved in the biggest storyline in a long time. You don't have to be involved in the title picture to be a major part of the show. And hey this is the IWC, we all like to compare people it took Austin almost a single year from his 3:16 promo to become the face of WWE. Hold Your ****ing Horses. If you don't like how the angle has involved that's one thing but to say they dropped the ball is a whole other thing.

Riley Randy Riley JIMMY

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

Quote Originally Posted by Lghikas View Post
    I'm gonna be completely honest I skipped everything, simply because they haven't he's the biggest part of the of the show and involved in the biggest storyline in a long time. You don't have to be involved in the title picture to be a major part of the show. And hey this is the IWC, we all like to compare people it took Austin almost a single year from his 3:16 promo to become the face of WWE. Hold Your ****ing Horses. If you don't like how the angle has involved that's one thing but to say they dropped the ball is a whole other thing.
    Hallelujah. Nothings been "dropped". He's in the main event or slots just about every week on TV, which is where he should be. Quit being marks for the belts people.....it's not real. You're a main eventer if you're one of the stars of the show every single week....and he is. It's like with Christian and five months back people whinging on about how he'd not been given a shot, blah, blah, blah. Well he got a 6 month main event run and got to hold the belt a couple of times along the way which is a damn sight more than he ever did before. Punk is still in the middle of the biggest push of his career and I'm sure he doesn't feel like he's being "screwed"
    A throne is just a bench wrapped in velvet

WAKE UP

Status

Punk is pretty much garanteed to be a big player in the company for years at this point. In no way has the ball been dropped. The Nash feud is not better than a Punk title reign or a Punk title feud, but at the moment atleast it appears to be only a small diversion, and he'll be back in the hunt after.

It is funny that you say they are killing his chances of being the next Austin (which is stupid, why not let him just be CM Punk?), and yet they are pushing him feuding with the boss.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Lghikas View Post

If you only read my title of my thread and not my post why did you even bother to reply At least dont admit that. And sure it took Austin a year to build off of his 3:16 comment but Punk already got to being huge with the summer of Punk 2.0, this Nash thing is a step backwards, where as Austin always kept taking stepforwards.

If it was not Kevin Nash it would not be so bad, he is one of the main reasons TNA is so terrible (esp when he was there).
    I dont want him anywhere near the WWF main event picture.

If Punk beats Nash that wont do anything for him, Nash is washed up, its not like this is Nash in his prime. Its Nash who can barely walk anymore

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Punk is pretty much garanteed to be a big player in the company for years at this point. In no way has the ball been dropped. The Nash feud is not better than a Punk title reign or a Punk title feud, but at the moment atleast it appears to be only a small diversion, and he'll be back in the hunt after.

It is funny that you say they are killing his chances of being the next Austin (which is stupid, why not let him just be CM Punk?), and yet they are pushing him feuding with the boss.
    So you admit the Nash feud is not ideal and its a deversion...... Nash is an over the hill has been, its one thing to feud with HHH but its another to feud with Nash. This isnt TNA.

As for it being stupid by saying he will be the next Austin you missed my point, I didnt say he should take Austin's persona, my point was, he could be the biggest thing wrestling has seen in a long time like Austin did. They need to end this Nash thing and fast. I mean just look at what they did to the Miz, he was the best heel they have in the WWE and he is stuck doing skits with Jarrod from subway that is NOT where I want to see CM Punk.

The Miz is being way underused likely. He went from feuding with Cena to jobbing to Alex Riley.

If Punk was feuding with Miz then I wouldnt be nearly as worried as I am that the WWE will screw this up like they have every other major storyline they have over the past few years

And for the record some of you need to retire the IWC argument you always fall back on that when your argument in a debate is very weak.

Jobber

Status

This is not accumulating into a Nash vs Punk match, but a HHH vs Punk match. Like many have mentioned Punk will somehow get himself involved into the title picture and it will become a 3-way. Somehow Punk gets screwed again and this results with Punk pushing HHH's buttons or HHH full blown goes heel, which I see happening. As you all may be aware I dislike HHH as he always gets himself involved and buries his opponents. However if he puts over Punk, then I will give the man some credit. He has been great in this angle so far.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by jericho2k View Post
    If you only read my title of my thread and not my post why did you even bother to reply At least dont admit that. And sure it took Austin a year to build off of his 3:16 comment but Punk already got to being huge with the summer of Punk 2.0, this Nash thing is a step backwards, where as Austin always kept taking stepforwards.

If it was not Kevin Nash it would not be so bad, he is one of the main reasons TNA is so terrible (esp when he was there).

If Punk beats Nash that wont do anything for him, Nash is washed up, its not like this is Nash in his prime. Its Nash who can barely walk anymore

So you admit the Nash feud is not ideal and its a deversion...... Nash is an over the hill has been, its one thing to feud with HHH but its another to feud with Nash. This isnt TNA.

As for it being stupid by saying he will be the next Austin you missed my point, I didnt say he should take Austin's persona, my point was, he could be the biggest thing wrestling has seen in a long time like Austin did. They need to end this Nash thing and fast. I mean just look at what they did to the Miz, he was the best heel they have in the WWE and he is stuck doing skits with Jarrod from subway that is NOT where I want to see CM Punk.

The Miz is being way underused likely. He went from feuding with Cena to jobbing to Alex Riley.

If Punk was feuding with Miz then I wouldnt be nearly as worried as I am that the WWE will screw this up like they have every other major storyline they have over the past few years

And for the record some of you need to retire the IWC argument you always fall back on that when your argument in a debate is very weak.
    You keep going on about Nash & Punk and missing the fact that this seems to be leading into some kind of Hemsley/McMahon V Punk storyline. Let's not forget It was Punk that MADE the board replace HHH with Vince so Vince already don't like him. Now on top of that Punk has been insulting Steph for a few weeks now and clearly has a problem with HHH. Nash is a stepping stone to that feud really. Being in a feud with the boss is just as big as being in a feud with the champion. If not bigger.

A Big Ball of fuNNN

Status

I don't understand the whole bit with The Miz. Not everybody can be in the main event, and right now the big storylines are clogged with Del Rio, Cena, Punk, and Nash/HHH. Miz went into his feud with Riley because it was the next logical step to take and to help build up a younger talent. Keep in mind that that feud ended with Miz getting a win over him in that tournament. And now Miz is off joining the conspiracy storyline with R-Truth, and judging from their promo last night, it's gonna be entertaining. These two aren't the top heels, but they managed to evoke more emotion from the crowd than anybody else.

Punk vs. Triple H is the storyline. Nash is on Triple H's side. Say Nash never attacked Punk at SummerSlam. Del Rio still probably would've cashed in. Then we'd end up right where we are. How do you logically get to Punk vs Miz?

Cult of Personality

Status
      Country                    ie=Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Luvage View Post
    . However if he puts over Punk, then I will give the man some credit. He has been great in this angle so far.
    I don't think Punk could be any more over right now. He's beaten Cena twice for the WWE title in less two months and is appearing more than any other superstar on Raw right now. He basically ran last nights show.

I think CGS is exactly right. While Nash isn't a great place for Punk to be right now considering Cena has the title shot it is definitely a stepping stone to the biggest storyline of the year and Punk is going to be at the centre of it. Nash is just the beginning for Punk with Johnny Ace, Stephanie and Triple H ready to get more involved. I don't think they botched this at all it's just annoying that while this goes on it's Cena who will be in the title matches. If it was Rey or Miz I don't think anyone would have a problem.
    I'm not actually smart at all, it's just a really clever play on words.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by SmartBark View Post
    I don't think Punk could be any more over right now. He's beaten Cena twice for the WWE title in less two months and is appearing more than any other superstar on Raw right now. He basically ran last nights show.

I think CGS is exactly right. While Nash isn't a great place for Punk to be right now considering Cena has the title shot it is definitely a stepping stone to the biggest storyline of the year and Punk is going to be at the centre of it. Nash is just the beginning for Punk with Johnny Ace, Stephanie and Triple H ready to get more involved. I don't think they botched this at all it's just annoying that while this goes on it's Cena who will be in the title matches. If it was Rey or Miz I don't think anyone would have a problem.
    I love how people like you and CGS claim you disagree with me and tell me I am wrong then turn around and agree with me anyways saying its annoying that Punk is feuding with Nash while Cena is getting yet another title shot or say its a step down to feud with Nash etc etc. Basically posters like you and CGS like to get cutsy with your wordig and claim you disagree with me yet you really do.

You are basicaly both saying the same thing as me but in different words

As for the other poster not getting the Miz thing, YES everyone cannot be in the main event but you should not go from wrestling Cena and being a WWE champ to JOBBING like 4 times to Alex Riley.

That is a huge step down and they did so much to build up Miz only to make him look weak by losing to Riley a number of times. And you ask how to get from Punk vs Nash to Punk vs Miz. Are you serious? REALLY REALLY?

You would just have had Miz jump Punk instead of Nash. Could you really not figure that one out?
    Last edited by jericho2k; 08-23-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Backyarder

Status

The Mcmahon/Hemsley bull**** has been recreated a million times throughout the years. Nash should be Del Rio's bodyguard and Punk needs to feud with Del Rio for the World Championship. John Cena is already guaranteed to be feuding with The Rock in less than 3 months from now, why does he constantly have to be the center of attention w/ regards to the World Championship for the next 3 months? I know why, its because he pushes more money into Vince's pocket via merchandise sales than anybody else. I am just sick and tired of it all.
    Last edited by the tech jedi; 08-23-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Internet Favorite

Status

A wrestling story is like a Rollercoaster. It never just keeps going up and up. It has twists turns loops, the whole shebang. Match and Promo wise Nash could be a lot better. But from the STORY, which is what WWE is trying to tell, he makes PERFECT sense. You don't read the first pages of a book and says it's crap. This story could go on for a long time, and so far I think they've done a good job at just doing enough to keep viewers coming back.

Your logic would make sense if Nash was the main culprit but he's not. He's just a guy someone hired to take Cena/Punk out. Punk beats him and story still goes on, there is still much more to it.

Nash is being built up to something like a Pawn/hitman right now and not the total antagonist of Punk's story. That is probably reserved for someone like Johnny Ace or Steph.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I love how people like you and CGS claim you disagree with me and tell me I am wrong then turn around and agree with me anyways saying its annoying that Punk is feuding with Nash while Cena is getting yet another title shot or say its a step down to feud with Nash etc etc. Basically posters like you and CGS like to get cutsy with your wordig and claim you disagree with me yet you really do.

You are basicaly both saying the same thing as me but in different words
    Wait what?

Right now your saying WWE dropped the ball on this one. I'm saying they haven't. Where on this I'm am pretending to disagree with you but yet actually agreeing with you? You keep saying Nash is a demotion from Cena. What I'm saying is that it isn't because it's a starting point which may lead into HHH/McMahon V Punk in some sort of storyline. I'm not the biggest fan of Cena getting another title shot but Punk not feuding with Cena and now feuding with Nash is hardly a demotion considering THE BOSS and his family are involved in it. Where am I actually agreeing with you?

A Big Ball of fuNNN

Status

That is a huge step down and they did so much to build up Miz only to make him look weak by losing to Riley a number of times. And you ask how to get from Punk vs Nash to Punk vs Miz. Are you serious? REALLY REALLY?

You would just have had Miz jump Punk instead of Nash. Could you really not figure that one out?
    But WHY? Why would Miz attack Punk for no reason? There should be more to a storyline than jealousy. Nash had a motive for attacking Punk, being that he simply was told to. Even still, did you not see Miz and Truth's promo? He brought up main eventing WrestleMania to his current status. I'll take conspiracy over jealousy any day.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information