Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The WWE dropped the ball with Punk. Why am I not surprised.

Free Agent

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Re: The WWE dropped the ball with Punk. Why am I not surprised.

Was the Punk thing rushed? Yes, but I don't think the ball has been dropped. I think some really great things could come out of this (and some already have). We now have Punk as a major focal point on WWE TV. Cena has stepped his game up a bit (although he needs to step up more). You may not like Del Rio, but he is a ready and talented guy who is getting a push. Young guys are getting a shot all over Raw and SD. Jim Ross is back where he belongs.

I'm not high on Triple H as the "authority figure", at least not as a "good guy". I could do without Kevin Nash on my TV. I would like Cena to not be in the title picture for at least a month or two. -- All of that said, the positives are finally outweighing the negatives lately.

As far as the ratings (a 3.0 this week), I'm not worried about it, as new directions take time to catch on (has always been the case). It took Steve Austin over a year from his 3:16 speech for him to truly catch on and make a ratings impact. It's always darkest before the light.

Was the ball dropped on Punk? No. Mishandled and fumbled around a bit, but not dropped. Better days are a head for Punk and the WWE. New talents like the Kings of Wrestling are coming in. There is talk of bringing back the Cruiser weights. The young talents are beginning to truly establish themselves.

Be patient. Give it time. I think the WWE has earned some leeway with the positive things they have done lately.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Doot Lock View Post
    Seriously, all I ever see people do lately is bitch and moan about every little thing because something didn't go exactly the way they wanted it to. How exactly is Punk's momentum dead? He still gets great crowd reactions, he's still the great mic talker, he's still the great wrestler, so what's the problem? He's not champion? He's still in a high profile feud with the boss (NOT NASH) and was featured more than anybody else last night.

Can't anybody just watch the story and wonder where it's going instead of bitching about it?
    If you dont want to read it why do you even come to the boards? The boards are not here to kiss the WWEs ass and agree with everything they do. You are apart of the crowd I am talking about in my last post. And YES he is feuding with Nash, NOT the boss.

Did you even watch Raw? Who KOs Punk to let ADR take the title? That would be Nash?
    Who had a verbal debate with Punk the night after the PPV? That would be Nash/
    Who cheap shotted Punk on Raw last night? That would be Nash.

That sure likes a feud with me to Nash dont you think?

And how is this every little thing? Punk losing the title is a huge thing not little. Is ADR the next WWE star they are going to try and shovel down our throats like Cena and Orton?

At least I can back up with legit reasons why I dont like something the WWE is doing. We seen them ruin storylines before and I can already see this Punk storyline taking a turn for the worse.

Like I said look at what they did with Miz. He is the top heel on Raw and he has been jobbing to that no talent Alex Riley.

what will it take for you to not like where this is going? Would it be Punk jobbing to Nash or would you agree with that too?

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
    Was the Punk thing rushed? Yes, but I don't think the ball has been dropped. I think some really great things could come out of this (and some already have). We now have Punk as a major focal point on WWE TV. Cena has stepped his game up a bit (although he needs to step up more). You may not like Del Rio, but he is a ready and talented guy who is getting a push. Young guys are getting a shot all over Raw and SD. Jim Ross is back where he belongs.

I'm not high on Triple H as the "authority figure", at least not as a "good guy". I could do without Kevin Nash on my TV. I would like Cena to not be in the title picture for at least a month or two. -- All of that said, the positives are finally outweighing the negatives lately.

As far as the ratings (a 3.0 this week), I'm not worried about it, as new directions take time to catch on (has always been the case). It took Steve Austin over a year from his 3:16 speech for him to truly catch on and make a ratings impact. It's always darkest before the light.

Was the ball dropped on Punk? No. Mishandled and fumbled around a bit, but not dropped. Better days are a head for Punk and the WWE. New talents like the Kings of Wrestling are coming in. There is talk of bringing back the Cruiser weights. The young talents are beginning to truly establish themselves.

Be patient. Give it time. I think the WWE has earned some leeway with the positive things they have done lately.
    I like ADR a lot but I can see that he is not ready to be WWE champ yet esp over someone like Punk who was never even given a chance. That is my point. The WWE rushed the Punk angle and they rushed ADR to being WWE champ. The WWE cant even build a storyline they having something compelling and what do they do? Premature ejacultion to get a quick payoff. And now they have to throw together this new angle with Nash, which is stupid.

Like I said, they should have given Punk a nice title run always going against the grain with HHH and Co then as you build ADR you could have had him cash in at Survivor Series. Then like I said that could have started the program with ADR as the corp champ vs Punk that would end at WM with Punk getting the title back..And doing it that way would make the WWE title legit, since Punk would have been given a title run of 4 months then ADRs title run through WM which would be 4 or 5 months.

And if mishandled is a better word then fine, you can use that instead of dropped the ball. I just want to see the WWE stop changing champs like underwear and giving champs time to take the ball and run for at least a few months each.

A Big Ball of fuNNN

Status

Quote Originally Posted by jericho2k View Post
    If you dont want to read it why do you even come to the boards? The boards are not here to kiss the WWEs ass and agree with everything they do. You are apart of the crowd I am talking about in my last post. And YES he is feuding with Nash, NOT the boss.

Did you even watch Raw? Who KOs Punk to let ADR take the title? That would be Nash?
    Who had a verbal debate with Punk the night after the PPV? That would be Nash/
    Who cheap shotted Punk on Raw last night? That would be Nash.

That sure likes a feud with me to Nash dont you think?

And how is this every little thing? Punk losing the title is a huge thing not little. Is ADR the next WWE star they are going to try and shovel down our throats like Cena and Orton?

At least I can back up with legit reasons why I dont like something the WWE is doing. We seen them ruin storylines before and I can already see this Punk storyline taking a turn for the worse.

Like I said look at what they did with Miz. He is the top heel on Raw and he has been jobbing to that no talent Alex Riley.

what will it take for you to not like where this is going? Would it be Punk jobbing to Nash or would you agree with that too?
    Who told Nash to KO Punk? I don't know yet because the story's two ****ing weeks old!

Punk had a promo with Nash, yes. Nash cheap shotted him, yes. But guess what. Triple H is there too, and he's been dealing with Punk for weeks now. Nash is joining the feud that's been ongoing for weeks, he's feuding with Punk, but it's not just Punk vs. Nash.

It'll take the story not being two ****ing weeks old for me to decide whether or not I like where it's going.

Underdog

Status

Once again the stupid IWC so called argument. The fact is there is no IWC, there are just wrestling fans. I never understand this IWC label. So my opinion is any less than someone like yours because I dont accept the WWE same old boring song and dance but people like you are yes men or yes women who will agree with anything the WWE does?
    I valued opinions. But i tend to find the predictable tendencies online. Guess we go on here to vent. Or repent. Or kiss ass. Or laugh at the audacity of cynicism.

And if you don't accept the WWE same old boring song and dance, what's the point in watching? To be IWC's own Glenn Beck?

We are all part of the IWC. Meltzer is part of the IWC. WWE/TNA/ROH is part of the IWC. Those who whine about the product / enjoy the product / meh casuals meh about it -- are all part of it.

How many times the WWE have the start off with a great storyline or idea then a month or two later just totally screw it up???
    Well, you are counting. When is it enough?

They rushed the whole Punk coming back for one. Then they rush him back only to have him drop the title then not even get a rematch and letting Cena get his 100th title match again??? Yeah like we really want to see another Cena title match that is such a great storyline.
    So you are talking about "We". So you speak for the whole audience?

The better storyline is HHH not wanting Punk being champ but Punk beating all the odds keeping the title no matter how hard HHH and WWE CO try. They totally killed the angle by making him drop the title to feud with all people Kevin Nash who is a HAS BEEN.
    There will always be better or worse ways to book something. Just play TEW 2010 and give it a try.

That would have been like Austin losing the WWE title a few weeks after he first got it then having him feud with someone that has not been relevent to wrestling for close to ten years. Do you really think they would have been a good thing?
    Punk is the biggest thing is wrestling right now , even non wrestling fans know who he is and they take the title off him before he even starts? How is that a good thing?
    How so? You claimed "the WWE dropped the ball on CM Punk already and you aren't surprised." He's no longer the biggest thing in wrestling based on that assumption.

ADR does not equal ratings, Punk does, having ADR over Punk for champion until ADR can get more over is bad business. Did you even watch raw and see that zero reaction ADR got as champion?
    Who main evented last night? Punk -vs- Cena. And you talk about ratings? If WWE Champion suppose to draw, then give the title to The Rock.
    Last edited by ZONACIDAL; 08-23-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Swere Editing

On Vacation

Status

Who told Nash to KO Punk? I don't know yet because the story's two ****ing weeks old!

Punk had a promo with Nash, yes. Nash cheap shotted him, yes. But guess what. Triple H is there too, and he's been dealing with Punk for weeks now. Nash is joining the feud that's been ongoing for weeks, he's feuding with Punk, but it's not just Punk vs. Nash.

It'll take the story not being two ****ing weeks old for me to decide whether or not I like where it's going.
    So you are going to claim there is not going to be a match between Punk and Nash? Are you really going to claim that?

Underdog

Status

So you are going to claim there is not going to be a match between Punk and Nash? Are you really going to claim that?
    Punk -vs- Nash should be, on paper and TEW, better than Austin -vs- McMahon back in 1998.

Austin had a bad neck and amounted to brawling, five moves of doom, the best character at the time. Mr. McMahon was a non-wrestler and didn't even have a match before their encounter.

Punk is a great wrestler who could wrestle a broom stick. Nash is like somewhere between Mr. McMahon and Steve Austin but closer to Mr. McMahon side.

Austin -vs- Mr. McMahon in 1998 never happened because Dude Love interrupted.

Maybe Mick Foley can interrupt Punk -vs- Nash and save us the horror.

A Big Ball of fuNNN

Status

How the hell did you get that out of what I said?

I'm gonna use an example. Cena could've had matches and interactions with Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes at one point. But that wouldn't mean he was feuding with either of them, he would likely be feuding with Randy Orton. That's the situation here.
    Last edited by Doot Lock; 08-23-2011 at 11:12 PM.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ZONACIDAL View Post
    I valued opinions. But i tend to find the predictable tendencies online. Guess we go on here to vent. Or repent. Or kiss ass. Or laugh at the audacity of cynicism.

And if you don't accept the WWE same old boring song and dance, what's the point in watching? To be IWC's own Glenn Beck?

We are all part of the IWC. Meltzer is part of the IWC. WWE/TNA/ROH is part of the IWC. Those who whine about the product / enjoy the product / meh casuals meh about it -- are all part of it.

Well, you are counting. When is it enough?

So you are talking about "We". So you speak for the whole audience?

There will always be better or worse ways to book something. Just play TEW 2010 and give it a try.

How so? You claimed "the WWE dropped the ball." He's no longer the bigger thing in wrestling based on that assumption.

Who main evented last night? Punk -vs- Cena. And you talk about ratings? If WWE Champion suppose to draw, then give the title to The Rock.
    You are the only predictable one who will cry at anyone who does not have the same view as you. At least I can back up why I do not like what the WWE does something I think is bad. You do know you dont have to agree with everything they do right? And you are the kind of person I laugh at the most, you would rather go along with the crowd instead of form your own opinion and stand behind it.

I dont care if I am the only person who has my view, I will still back up my view with vaild points and if case you didnt notice even the posters who dont agree with my overall view still agree with parts of my point of view.

And AGAIN the IWC is a stupid term, we are wrestling fans. Are music fans that post on their fave bands message boards called internet music fans? Of course not they are called FANS. A fan is a fan. Are sports fans that post on sports boards (take football for example) called the football internet community? Do you see how silly it sounds when you use normal logic when it comes to the term IWC.

YOU need to stop using the IWC as a derrogatory term. Its overused and does not even apply to trying to refute what someone says that you dont agree with. ITs not even a legit argument.

You do watch wrestling right? When I say WE I am talking about the fans that boo Cena, and there are a ton. Just watch raw to see 50% of the fans booing him. Those are the people that dont want to see another Cena title run or him in the title picture and I can bet most of this board does not want to see him champ or in PPV main events going for the title. Do YOU really want to see Cena in another title match?

Answer me this who would you rather see champ? Punk, ADR or Cena????

And yes the WWE has dropped the ball with Punk by taking him out of the title picture and having him drop the title and giving it to ADR who right now gets little to no reaction from the WWE fans. How is that not dropping the ball??

As for ADR not equally ratings. So you really think ADR can headline a PPV as champ and sell more buyrates than Punk would?
    Answer me that

On Vacation

Status

How the hell did you get that out of what I said?

I'm gonna use an example. Cena could've had matches and interactions with Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes at one point. But that wouldn't mean he was feuding with either of them, he would likely be feuding with Randy Orton. That's the situation here.
    You really dont use logic do you. So if Cody jumped Cena and cost him the title, then another night he jumps him again after having a promo pissing match on Raw to set up a match at a PPV that would not be confused a feud?

What would that be called?

We all know Nash is going to face Punk most likely at NOC, that is a fued anyway you slice it since there is build up to their match. Any build up to a match between two parties is a feud.

Its not like they just randomly will have a match between Nash and Punk. That would not be a feud but a grudge match, what is happening between Nash and Punk is a feud.

Now if another feud spawns off of this Nash vs Punk feud, it still is a feud. It does not matter someone else was behind it.
    Last edited by jericho2k; 08-23-2011 at 11:20 PM.

People's Champion

Status

Punk serving as the anti-authority figure is nothing but good as I see it. He doesn't need the title to be a star, and that's how I see the WWE building this. I mean, you can't get more shine than going against the WWE itself.

If I Ruled The World...

...Imagine That

A Big Ball of fuNNN

Status

You really dont use logic do you. So if Cody jumped Cena and cost him the title, then another night he jumps him again after having a promo pissing match on Raw to set up a match at a PPV that would not be confused a feud?

What would that be called?

We all know Nash is going to face Punk most likely at NOC, that is a fued anyway you slice it since there is build up to their match. Any build up to a match between two parties is a feud.

Its not like they just randomly will have a match between Nash and Punk. That would not be a feud but a grudge match, what is happening between Nash and Punk is a feud.

Now if another feud spawns off of this Nash vs Punk feud, it still is a feud. It does not matter someone else was behind it.
    Fine, it's a feud, have a cookie, but it's all connected with Punk going against McMahon and then Triple H. However way you want it, it's Punk going against the authority. Somebody in power told Nash to attack Punk, and now here we are.

Now, back to the point, if this thread managed to get 6 pages of debating, do you think Punk's momentum is dead?
    Last edited by Doot Lock; 08-23-2011 at 11:26 PM.

Underdog

Status

You are the only predictable one who will cry at anyone who does not have the same view as you. At least I can back up why I do not like what the WWE does something I think is bad. You do know you dont have to agree with everything they do right? And you are the kind of person I laugh at the most, you would rather go along with the crowd instead of form your own opinion and stand behind it.

I dont care if I am the only person who has my view, I will still back up my view with vaild points and if case you didnt notice even the posters who dont agree with my overall view still agree with parts of my point of view.

And AGAIN the IWC is a stupid term, we are wrestling fans. Are music fans that post on their fave bands message boards called internet music fans? Of course not they are called FANS. A fan is a fan. Are sports fans that post on sports boards (take football for example) called the football internet community? Do you see how silly it sounds when you use normal logic when it comes to the term IWC.

YOU need to stop using the IWC as a derrogatory term. Its overused and does not even apply to trying to refute what someone says that you dont agree with. ITs not even a legit argument.

You do watch wrestling right? When I say WE I am talking about the fans that boo Cena, and there are a ton. Just watch raw to see 50% of the fans booing him. Those are the people that dont want to see another Cena title run or him in the title picture and I can bet most of this board does not want to see him champ or in PPV main events going for the title. Do YOU really want to see Cena in another title match?

Answer me this who would you rather see champ? Punk, ADR or Cena????

And yes the WWE has dropped the ball with Punk by taking him out of the title picture and having him drop the title and giving it to ADR who right now gets little to no reaction from the WWE fans. How is that not dropping the ball??

As for ADR not equally ratings. So you really think ADR can headline a PPV as champ and sell more buyrates than Punk would?
    Answer me that
    Paragraph 1 --> Aren't you crying at me for disagreeing with the thread? And using the IWC as a derogatory word. Didn't know typing IWC hurts.

Internet Wrestling Community is just a short way of saying "a whole". Sorry for labeling dissenters as a whole. In Big Brother forums, we talk of the people inside the house as HG (House Guests). And i inaccurately wrote the IWC as a whole. There are many valuable opinions on the IWC, but clouded with fanboyism, whinos, marks, smarks, something to throw darts, geezers, CeNation marks.

How are we wrestling fans and watching the WWE? They taken the "wrestling" out of WWE as recent as this Spring. And during the height of the WWE, the Attitude Era, there wasn't that many "wrestling" unless we consider hitting each other with chairs as one.

Paragraph 2 --> Good for you.

Paragraph 3 --> No it is not.

Paragraph 4 --> Damnit, i don't want to spell out IWC.

Paragraph 5 --> I watch the WWE, not the NCAA or Olympic wrestling. I personally don't want to see Cena in the main event because he's a threat to ADR title reign. And ADR title reign is already better than Sheamus/Swagger/Miz (beating Mysterio in his hometown and Morrison who has a one match Raw winning streak in Canada). Hopefully Cena lays down for ADR and build him up.

Paragraph 6 --> As of now, past 8/22 Raw, 1) ADR (current) 2) Punk 3) Muhammed Hassan.
    Last edited by ZONACIDAL; 08-23-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Underdog

Status

Now, back to the point, if this thread managed to get 6 pages of debating, do you think Punk's momentum is dead?
    If the WWE dropped the ball with Punk and judging by the ratings last night, YES! It's OVER.

But we should have already knew that.

Because if the WWE dropped the ball on Punk, there's nothing he, they (WWE), we (wrestling fans, not WWE marks) can do about it.

On Vacation

Status

Fine, it's a feud, have a cookie, but it's all connected with Punk going against McMahon and then Triple H. However way you want it, it's Punk going against the authority. Somebody in power told Nash to attack Punk, and now here we are.

What does this thread have to do with if the WWE dropped the ball with the Punk thing? You dont even use logic, and why? Because you dont have a leg to stand on.

Like someone else said was the Punk angle mishandled is a better way of putting it instead of dropping the ball.
    The fact remains the Punk storyline was rushed and the whole two belt things had no logic what so ever. And it makes even less sense why Punk is back in the title picture instead of Punk since ADR is the one who Pinned Punk for the title.

I already outlined a better way the storyline should have been handled and it could have ended in the same way where Punk would be going against the WWE Corp but the way I would have mapped it out would have dragged out much longer.

The WWEs problem is they rush all their best storylines that is why I said they dropped the ball, this whole storyline could have been drawn out for a year but they rushed it all in two months and in doing so had three title changes in under a month.

That is dropping the ball or mishandling this storyline.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ZONACIDAL View Post
    Paragraph 1 --> Aren't you crying at me for disagreeing with the thread? And using the IWC as a derogatory word. Didn't know typing IWC hurts.

Internet Wrestling Community is just a short way of saying "a whole". Sorry for labeling dissenters as a whole. In Big Brother forums, we talk of the people inside the house as HG (House Guests). And i inaccurately wrote the IWC as a whole. There are many valuable opinions on the IWC, but clouded with fanboyism, whinos, marks, smarks, something to throw darts, geezers, CeNation marks.

How are we wrestling fans and watching the WWE? They taken the "wrestling" out of WWE as recent as this Spring. And during the height of the WWE, the Attitude Era, there wasn't that many "wrestling" unless we consider hitting each other with chairs as one.

Paragraph 2 --> Good for you.

Paragraph 3 --> No it is not.

Paragraph 4 --> Damnit, i don't want to spell out IWC.

Paragraph 5 --> I watch the WWE, not the NCAA or Olympic wrestling. I personally don't want to see Cena in the main event because he's a threat to ADR title reign. And ADR title reign is already better than Sheamus/Swagger/Miz (beating Mysterio in his hometown and Morrison who has a one match Raw winning streak in Canada). Hopefully Cena lays down for ADR and build him up.

Paragraph 6 --> As of now, past 8/22 Raw, 1) ADR (current) 2) Punk 3) Muhammed Hassan.
    I am not the one crying, I am the one who is handing your ass to you in this debate.

There you go about the IWC again. So lets take this slowly, since you are not getting it. You are claiming that the IWC is a bunch of clouded fanboys basically. Ok you do know what the def of a FAN is right? FAN is short for FANatic. Here is the def of a fan A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause..

Those are the same thing. when you are the fan of a team like the bruins for example, you are a fanboy of that team. There is no difference. Am I getting through to you yet?

As for the rest of your posting you pretty much didnt even answer my questions cept you would rather have ADR WWE champ than Punk at least that is what I think you were getting at.

A Big Ball of fuNNN

Status

What does this thread have to do with if the WWE dropped the ball with the Punk thing? You dont even use logic, and why? Because you dont have a leg to stand on.

Like someone else said was the Punk angle mishandled is a better way of putting it instead of dropping the ball.
    The fact remains the Punk storyline was rushed and the whole two belt things had no logic what so ever. And it makes even less sense why Punk is back in the title picture instead of Punk since ADR is the one who Pinned Punk for the title.

I already outlined a better way the storyline should have been handled and it could have ended in the same way where Punk would be going against the WWE Corp but the way I would have mapped it out would have dragged out much longer.

The WWEs problem is they rush all their best storylines that is why I said they dropped the ball, this whole storyline could have been drawn out for a year but they rushed it all in two months and in doing so had three title changes in under a month.

That is dropping the ball or mishandling this storyline.
    1. WHAT!?!?!?!?! Look at the title and your last point!

2. The Punk storyline was rushed, I won't deny that, and the WWE title's been jumping way too much lately, at least we can agree on something.

3. But then wouldn't he just be Cena number 2?

4. The storyline was rushed, but because SummerSlam was the next PPV. It definitely could've been handled better, with Cena/Mysterio being one part of the main event, and Orton/Christian headlining, or either way around.

On Vacation

Status

1. WHAT!?!?!?!?! Look at the title and your last point!

2. The Punk storyline was rushed, I won't deny that, and the WWE title's been jumping way too much lately, at least we can agree on something.

3. But then wouldn't he just be Cena number 2?

4. The storyline was rushed, but because SummerSlam was the next PPV. It definitely could've been handled better, with Cena/Mysterio being one part of the main event, and Orton/Christian headlining, or either way around.

1. The ratings have nothing to do with the WWE dropping the ball with Punk that is what I was getting at. The reason the ball was dropped like you even agree with me (#2) the storyline was rushed and they should have had the Cena vs Rey for the WWE title at SS as the main event then have Punk come out at the end for the stare down to end the PPV going into Raw. That would have even given a better illusion that Punk had left the WWE and even more reason to have two titles.

I dont see how Punk would be Cena #2 you may have to explain that one better.

And #4 I answered, SS should have been Rey vs Cena for the title then at the end after Cena wins Punk would have come out to end the PPV. Then we go from there.

A Big Ball of fuNNN

Status

I dont see how Punk would be Cena #2 you may have to explain that one better.
    Oh hey, looks like we're actually making some progress. If they'd gone that route, then Punk would be overcoming the odds time and time again, and that's Cena's job.

Underdog

Status

I am not the one crying, I am the one who is handing your ass to you in this debate.
    Wait, what are we debating about again? Because my point has always been: The WWE dropped the ball with you.

This is what grinds my gears. Armchair booking. If you want something one way and when things don't go that route, then the whole damn road / path is ruined. You don't see it obviously because you are at the school of thought that people who don't agree with you are WWE ass kissers. I am at the school of thought that there are people in the IWC you cannot please.

And I mis-characterized the IWC. But hey, you can do that about the professionals booking this crap (your assumptions, not mine), why can't i play the same game. But guess i'm a second class poster and you are first class and everyone must agree to you, blah blah blah.
    Last edited by ZONACIDAL; 08-24-2011 at 12:05 AM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information