Page 1 of 12 123 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The LIVE! Thread...

The Best

Status
    Vcash

The LIVE! Thread...

With the Juke Box we know what you’re listening to right now, with the Record Collection we know what albums are floating your boat, and now we have this, the LIVE! Thread.

This is a place for discussion about live music. Bands you’ve seen or going to see, review a show you’ve just been to or comment on bands brought up by other people and your experiences of them as a live act. What gigs do you have coming up and have you seen the artist before? Are you looking forward to it, and what do you think of the shows others have coming you.

As always discussion is encouraged and a respectful attitude to other people’s taste and opinions is expected.

With that in mind, here's my review of a day out seeing one of my favourite bands since I was a kid and the basic idea for a layout of a post in this thread...

Bon Jovi
    Lancashire County Cricket Club
    24 June 2011

How many bands that are still together, still touring, and don’t have any dead members that have been replaced by younger, more breathing, models qualify having four greatest hits albums? I’m not gonna do any research on it, but I’ll put in a safe bet that it’s a relatively small number. A small number that Bon Jovi now belong to.

In support of their most recent best of album (imaginatively titled; “Greatest Hits”) the band have embarked upon a huge world tour, and for a long while were forced to play without Richie Sambora, who was in rehab for a stint through the mid-point of the beginning of this year. Thankfully, upon hitting UK shores, Richie was back with a vengence and from the sounds of the crowd tonight, enjoying some serious moral support and out of control love from the fans.

His return to the stage was triumphant, as Bon Jovi pulled out all the stops to help the crowd survive through the awful Manchester weather, as rain pounded down on the heads of those visiting the open air venue, most were oblivious to its persistence due to the glorious performance in front of them.

Bashing out a distinctly “best of” set, fitting for the album they are touring to support, they played old classics and new favourites alike and all received a rapturous response from the soaking masses gathered to see exactly this.

“You Give Love A Bad Name”, “Bad Medicine”, “In These Arms”, “One Wild Night”, “Captain Crash…”, “Bed Of Roses”, “It’s My Life”, “Livin’ On A Prayer”, and the rarely heard live “Dry County” all get aired and are all little slices of musical heaven for those in attendance. Indeed, the only thing missing from the set, is a rendition of the universally loved, “Always”…

Still, a tremendous night for all involved. Shame there wasn’t a second encore really.

8/10

Coming up: A Wilhelm Scream next week, City & Colour in OCtober, and Frank Turner in November. I may also be at the Sunday of Leeds Festival, which should be a lot of fun.

Its Cold Outside

Status
    Vcash

Re: The LIVE! Thread...

Nice idea.

Recent shows:

Iron Maiden w/Airbourne - Newcastle Metro Radio Arena 24/7/11

First time seeing Iron Maiden live and it couldn't have been any better. Bruce's singing was spot on all night and so were the band. The crowd certainly helped too as where i was there just felt like so much energy which always makes a gig better.

Didn't like Airbourne at all and feel they try and imitate AC/DC far too much.

Airbourne - 3/10
    Maiden - 10/10

Small video of the opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jheo61NnU0s

And Fear Of The Dark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz9pI-0ylpU

Upcoming Gigs:

The Darkness (no support yet) - O2 Academy Newcastle 12/11/11
    Alter Bridge/Black Stone Cherry/Theory Of A Deadman - Newcastle Metro Radio Arena 26/11/11

RIP Warrior

The Best

Status
    Vcash

A friend of mine went to that show Mikk. He's basically following Maiden around the country. He loves them far too much.

I saw them once headlining Leeds festival, and to be quite honest, I wasn't impressed. They really aren't my thing. Much like my relationship with The Smiths, I find their material better when played by someone else.

I'm glad you had a better time than I did.

I didn't even realise The Darkness had got in gear for a new tour, I'd just heard they were re-forming. I saw them a couple of times... three, I think. Back when they were touring the debut album, and they were stunning. The second album really didn't impress me though. I hope they go back to what works.

Its Cold Outside

Status
    Vcash

They played Download and blew the roof off and the tour was announced in the Download programme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftVoTP41el8

RIP Warrior

The Best

Status
    Vcash

That's some impressive facial hair Justin's rocking!!

They do seem to be on form live, but then... They always were.

Its Cold Outside

Status
    Vcash

I'm quite looking forward to november with those 2 shows, wanting a limp bizkit tour too so i can see them again.

RIP Warrior

The Best

Status
    Vcash

Limp Bizkit are always brilliant live... As long as they don't meander too much into the vast amount of crap in their arsenal.

I've seen them three or four times and they never fail to be fantastic entertainment, but that was before the released "The Unquestionable Truth" and subjected me to all sorts of awfulness. Still, I've heard good things about the new one, so who knows?

Its Cold Outside

Status
    Vcash

I like the new album but heard they played a euro festival a few weeks ago and they weren't very good. I'm pleased i got to see them in 09 before the album had been released and it was all the good old stuff.

RIP Warrior

Intercontinental Champion

Status
    Vcash

Just realized Rise Against is coming here on September 28th. I don't really have much money at the moment but hopefully someone will come up with tickets for my birthday on the first.

i love moms

Status
    Vcash

I've got tickets to the Odd Future show here at the House of Blues on September 28th. And I am SO ****ing excited for it. This'll be my first OF show but I've seen tons of videos, their concerts are ****ing nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lghikas View Post
    I basically live out my internet life to gain Jake's approval.
    [10:54 PM] Yeezus: these bitches love Jake, hit em with that cobra now that boy slumped ova

The Best

Status
    Vcash

I was actually gutted last week. I couldn't afford to go to see A Wilhelm Scream and was too ill even if I could've done. Utterly gutted.

The Forger

Status
    Vcash

Alkaline Trio in November. Get to see my favourite band for the first time, frickin' psyched!

The Best

Status
    Vcash

How, in the blue hell, have you never seen Alk3 yet? I've seen them at least three times, and I'm not even a big fan!

Intercontinental Champion

Status
    Vcash

So on top of the news of hearing Rise Against is coming here, I just found out they are actually doing a few shows with the Foo Fighters. And one of them is in Buffalo.....at least 3 hours from me. 2 out of my 3 favorite bands doing a show together??? UGH But I should at least make it to the Rise Against show which I will be more than happy about.

The Forger

Status
    Vcash

Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    How, in the blue hell, have you never seen Alk3 yet? I've seen them at least three times, and I'm not even a big fan!
    Dunno man, circumstances have conspired against me, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Lghikas View Post
    So on top of the news of hearing Rise Against is coming here, I just found out they are actually doing a few shows with the Foo Fighters. And one of them is in Buffalo.....at least 3 hours from me. 2 out of my 3 favorite bands doing a show together??? UGH But I should at least make it to the Rise Against show which I will be more than happy about.
    Considering one of Rise Against's shows when they come over here, just dunno if I'm gonna have the time.

The Best

Status
    Vcash

I'm thinking about heading to the Manchester Rise Against show... All depends on availability and money for me.

This has not been a good couple of weeks gig wise. I missed A Wilhelm Scream, who are face-melters live, and I missed a bunch of bands last night (The Living Daylights, Apologies I Have None, etc...) at a gig headlined by Crazy Arm, who I enjoy immensely but not quite as much as the band they made up previously. I miss No Comply so much.

No

Status
    Vcash

So I just came back from San Fran, I went there for a music festival called Outside Lands...all I can say is wow.

There are 4 stages, the big two are Lands End and Twin Peaks, with Sutro being third and Panhandle fourth. Panhandle is cool bc the entire show at Panhandle is solar powered.

Every night had two big acts, first was Phish and The Shins, second Muse and Girl Talk and third Deadmou5 and Arcade Fire.

Bands are playing all day from 12-10 on all four stages. The food is ****ing glorious, beer is expensive (but it's a festival so didn't surprise) and some really cool venues. They had a dome with a dj so it was like a club but once inside the entire roof of the dome was visuals.

I saw more bands than I wish to name but the main ones were (in order of best show) Arctic Monkeys, Ok Go, Deadmou5, Girl Talk, Joy Formidable, Eskimo, Paper Diamond, The Shins, Foster the People, Decemberists, Wye Oak, Grouplove, The Roots, John Foguerty

A little too packed for my liking, there was over 60,000 people on Sunday, I felt they could have sold about...10-15,000 less tickets and it would have been more enjoyable.

HIPSTER MOD

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.
    Vcash

That sounds amazing, Thew.

Meanwhile, I just got Flaming Lips tickets!

-------

-------
    Stuff You Should Click On Or I'll Make Sure You Get Banned
    Events: CZW's To Infinity
    Discuss: ROH Returns to PPV
    Indy/Puro Pick Em's: Results/Standings
    Discuss: ROH | PWG | DGUSA | EVOLVE | CZW | CHIKARA | AAW | Puro | Other/Random
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus T View Post
    Nicky was right.

The Best

Status
    Vcash

Quote Originally Posted by Suffy View Post
    So I just came back from San Fran, I went there for a music festival called Outside Lands...all I can say is wow.

There are 4 stages, the big two are Lands End and Twin Peaks, with Sutro being third and Panhandle fourth. Panhandle is cool bc the entire show at Panhandle is solar powered.

Every night had two big acts, first was Phish and The Shins, second Muse and Girl Talk and third Deadmou5 and Arcade Fire.

Bands are playing all day from 12-10 on all four stages. The food is ****ing glorious, beer is expensive (but it's a festival so didn't surprise) and some really cool venues. They had a dome with a dj so it was like a club but once inside the entire roof of the dome was visuals.

I saw more bands than I wish to name but the main ones were (in order of best show) Arctic Monkeys, Ok Go, Deadmou5, Girl Talk, Joy Formidable, Eskimo, Paper Diamond, The Shins, Foster the People, Decemberists, Wye Oak, Grouplove, The Roots, John Foguerty

A little too packed for my liking, there was over 60,000 people on Sunday, I felt they could have sold about...10-15,000 less tickets and it would have been more enjoyable.
    Sounds like an awesome time dude.

What are Joy Formidable like? They're playing Leeds festival on the Sunday, and I bought my day ticket this week. Just trying to figure out who I'll be watching.

No

Status
    Vcash

So much fun, they just get up there and rock the **** out. The lead singer is this small blonde chick and by the end of the set she was throwing her guitar around, punching the bass player and just going insane. Out of all the smaller acts they were my favorite.

Thread Information