Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Parks and Recreation

Evil Admin.

Status

Parks and Recreation

After some searching, I've come to the conclusion that WC has never had a Parks and Rec thread. I'm a little surprised.

Anyways, thanks to being caught up with Community, I decided to give this show a chance. After a dreadful first season that made the show feel like a less funny and more over the top version of the Office, it's starting to find it's groove in the second season. Leslie's wackiness is beginning to be a little more restrained and Ron has stopped being a Ron Burgundy clone and is becoming his own character. For me, the highlight of every episode is Andy. Chris Pratt, who plays Andy, was the reason why I even bothered with the show in the first place. I loved him as the fun loving, but dumb jock, Bright, on Everwood and couldn't get enough of him as the hilarious hippie at Brown College, Che, from the fourth season of The OC. The dude's perfect as being the slightly immature, but big heart character. I found myself enjoying April nearly from the start. As someone who used to watch Daria a lot, she's nearly a live-action version of that character.

That being said, I still can't stand Mark. Immediately, I saw him as a Jim Halbert ripoff, only not nearly as likable. Thanks to the predictable coming together of Mark and Anne (Can you say Pam?), it just made me care even less about her. However, due to the show showcasing more of their characters (Such as Tom), each episode is far more tolerable and enjoyable than season 1.

Anyone else a Parks and Rec fan?

DAMMIT~!

Status

Re: Parks and Recreation

I've thought about giving in a chance on multiple occasions, but I've always heard from people and just from seeing some clips, it's a complete ripoff of The Office. Also for the reasons you stated, and numerous comparisons with the characters of the Office, I've never really cared, even though I've wanted to. Sounds weird, I know.

----------------

12 and 0hio!

Status

I've never actually gotten to check it out but I've been wanting to lately as I heard Aziz Ansari is in it and he's pretty hilarious and I tend to like anything he's in. Is he more of a lead character or something cause if so I might have to check it out.

Evil Admin.

Status

He's pretty much a second string character. He's on every week, but thus far (Where I'm at), he's only had one real episode devoted to him. I'll say he's on the screen about as much as Dwight is on The Office.

No

Status

I love this show and honestly the first season sucks, Amy Poehler is simply a female version of Michael Scott, but about halfway through the second season everything suddenly clicks. The third season, this years season, was easily the best sitcom on TV bar none. Everything just worked, whether it was Andy's amazing I love you, or the amazing painting of Leslie as a mythical beast it just worked perfectly.

And if you don't like Mark you will be happy to know he does not continue his role into the third season.

HIPSTER MOD

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.

Yeah. It didn't really pick up or gain its own identity until near the end of the second season. It was terrible from the start. Now it's probably the funniest show on TV (in part to better writing from Harris Wittles and the additions of Adam Scott and Rob Lowe)

Season 3 ruled. Lil Sebastien's funeral, the Harvest festival, the snake juice, Turd Crapley, etc. Awesome show.

Last edited by Nicky Talent; 05-28-2011 at 09:01 AM.

-------
    Stuff You Should Click On Or I'll Make Sure You Get Banned
    THE CHRONICLES OF RIDIC: The Hurricane | Simon Dean | Anonymous Raw GM | 3 Count
    Discuss: ROH | PWG | DGUSA | EVOLVE | CZW | CHIKARA | AAW | Puro | Other/Random
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus T View Post
    Nicky was right.
    [09:52 PM] Dakstang: Yeah I would rather watch a same sex marriage than Pokemon

World Champion

Status

Andy was one of the reasons I wasn't going to watch the show. Jim and I got it opposite, hahah! But after watching him I have to saw he's one of the funniest people on TV. He's also got a real "likeable" quality to him.

I've mostly watched the show from the start and been a fan. It doesn't have a strong narrative like Jim and Pam did on the office to keep it entertaining. But they have some love stories, a ton of interesting characters, that make it worthwhile.

The first season was bad but it's gotten better. I'm guessing it'll even be better next year. It's nice to see a show like this rebound. They understood their mistakes and corrected them. If only more shows could be like this.

Evil Admin.

Status

At this point (Just about the end of season 2), I'm most interesting in Andy and April's possible relationship more than any of the other relationships of the bigger stars. Suffy, I'm glad Mark won't be around for season 3. It can't be a coincidence that I started to enjoy the show just as his character was being de-emphasized.

No

Status

Andy and April are probably my third favorite aspect of season 3, behind Rob Lowe/Adam Scott and Ron's pyramid of greatness.

Season 3 starts off a bit slow, it is a little bit too heavy on the couples but it is amazing, it's just me being a little bit nit picky.

Status

i started watching the show when it debut for Aziz Ansari and he's still awesome but Chris Pratt i believe his name is has won be over beyond belief. love the guy.

once more with feeling

Status

This is probably the funniest show on television right now. Community seems to have lost any semblance of direction but Parks and Recreation never feels like it misses its mark. I'm happy to see Amy Poehler excelling. It's good stuff.

Evil Admin.

Status

Watching season 3, even though Rob Lowe is okay (Far better than Mark at least) Adam Scott's character blows him away. Ben's a pretty great addition to the show. Unlike Chris' one dimensional character, Ben is a nerdish, ambitious guy who's trying to redeem himself from his time as mayor. Out of everyone on the show, he feels like the the audience member who's looking at the cast and reacting the same way we would. Why is Sebastian so popular?! He's basically the Marylin Munster of Parks and Rec.

HIPSTER MOD

Status

Chris gets funnier as season three goes along, especially when he has to react to certain perils (such as death, Ron not understanding vegan things, "Jan Cooper Mayor of Whoreville", etc.). But yeah Adam Scott is doing a terrific job as Ben. His scenes with Aziz are great. I love his reactions to the people of Pawnee.

I assume you're deep into Season 3, Jim. What episode are you at?

-------
    THE CHRONICLES OF RIDIC: The Hurricane | Simon Dean | Anonymous Raw GM | 3 Count
    -------
    Nicky was right.

Evil Admin.

Status

The last one I watched was episode 11, the one about Jerry's nude painting of Leslie. April and Andy's horrible adult skills living on their own has been the highlight in the last couple of episodes.

No

Status

That means you saw the greatest part of the season where April tells Andy "I love you" and he responds with something along the lines of "That's awesomesauce"

Evil Admin.

Status

And tries to high five her.

HIPSTER MOD

Status

The "awesomesauce" bit was good, but you are yet to get to my favorite part of the season, which was Rob Lowe reading the Jan Cooper signs.

The last half of the season (from Harvest Fest to The Funeral) is an epic pattern of constant one-ups. You keep thinking you watched the best one, until you watch the next one.

BTW, the character of Ben also made that Andy/April being responsible sub-story even better.

-------
    -------
    Nicky was right.

Evil Admin.

Status

Sadly, I'm all caught up with Parks and Rec now. As rough as season 1 was, the show greatly improved. I'd still say Modern Family is noticeably better, but Parks and Rec is in that second tier with The Middle, Big Bang Theory and Community. Even though all of the Jan Cooper signs were great, my favorite Rob Lowe moment was his reaction to the banjo music while in the car with Leslie and Ben

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMhSxXEbmv8

HIPSTER MOD

Status

Yeah, here comes the sad and long wait of new episodes, Jim.

Rob Lowe was LITERALLY the MVP of the last four episodes. His unintentional cockblocking led to the more hesitant yet hilarious parts of the Ben/Leslie turning point, including the banjo scene, as well as "do you want to Boggle?" And his reaction to Lil Sebastien were hilariously odd.

The moment between Ben and Leslie in the car during the "How To Speak Mandarin" track really made me bust a gut. Also, I have a like/dislike formula with the Ann Perkins character, but I enjoyed her during Eps 313 and 314 more than ever.

-------
    -------
    Nicky was right.

Evil Admin.

Status

While watching Chris' cockblocking, I was wondering whether he was doing it on purpose or not. It seemed like he was always there when something was about to happen. Thanks to his personality, he could get away with it without causing Leslie or Ben to think he's doing it on purpose.

Ann has really fallen as the series went on. In those early episodes, she was the second most important character behind Leslie. By the end of season 3, I didn't even feel as if she was needed in any of the episodes. She's become a Jerry or Donna where she's just a side part for any bigger storyline.

Thanks to making Tom, Andy, April and Ron bigger stars, I wouldn't be upset if Ann didn't return for season 4.

Thread Information