Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix News & Discussion

I'm your Huckleberry

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Fedor Says Strikeforce Tourney As Good Or Better Than Prides

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    I'm glad he feels that way.. now lets see what he can do and I don't want to hear any bullshit excuses. Go win the thing, big man.
    Oh, he will. Trust me.

Buddy if you try to take my rights you're in for one hell of a fight
    When it comes to my Constitution I'm a true believer
    Come to my house I'll tell you right now, I'll give you my gun
    When you pry it from my cold dead hand, start with my middle finger

Resident MMA Junkie

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Vadim Finkelchtein Wants Strict Drug Testing During Strikeforce GP

Vadim Finkelchtein Wants Strict Drug Testing During Strikeforce GP

M-1 Global President Vadim Finkelchtein wants a level playing field during the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix and hopes that the athletic commissions do the proper testing to make sure no one in the tournament is using performance enhancing drugs and talked his past issues with fighters failing drug tests:

"Two out of eight fighters in the tournament previously failed a drug test. Obviously, I'm talking about Josh Barnett and Antonio Silva. We want fair competition for everyone, so that's why I will ask the commission to perform a strict drug testing. Fedor is not using any kind of substance to enhance his performance, and will be ready for any kind of testing. So if the commission decides to follow our suggestion, we'll be ready. Our organization paid a heavy price after the cancellation of the fight between Josh Barnett and Fedor. We did a lot of promotion for this fight, which in the end did not take place. That's why as a promoter and manager, I don't want this to happen ever again." Props: Lowkick.com

Credit: mmanews.com
    Is this the beginning of M-1 backing out? F*ck!

Status

Re: Vadim Finkelchtein Wants Strict Drug Testing During Strikeforce GP

Yeah, this could be the kind of "sticking point" that kills the tournament. M1 and their "demands" are part of the reason I'm not sure this will work, at least not in the way we hope.

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

Re: Vadim Finkelchtein Wants Strict Drug Testing During Strikeforce GP

He's using words like ask, and suggestion, highly doubt they are backing out since they aren't demanding it Mayweather Jr. style. I can honestly see where they are coming from considering what happened with Affliction and Barnett. Fedor was already in country for awhile awaiting the fight and everything.

Resident MMA Junkie

Status

Fabricio Werdum Talks Strikeforce GP, Goal Is Winning It

Fabricio Werdum Talks Strikeforce GP, Goal Is Winning It
    Posted on Jan 30, 2011
    COMMENT PRINT SEND SHARE
    Please login to rate Please login to rate Please login to rate Please login to rate Please login to rate
    Fabricio Werdum, who heading into the first round of the Strikeforce Heavyweight GP is the only man to hold wins over Fedor Emelianenko and Alistair Overeem, talked to Tony Medina in San Jose last night following Strikeforce: Diaz Vs. Cyborg and discussed the Grand Prix and how he feels going into it in this MMANews.com exclusive interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3yYrWPmYck

Credit: mmanews.com

Resident MMA Junkie

Status

Mma Dana White is Surprisingly Complimentary of Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix

Dana White is Surprisingly Complimentary of Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UFKFjS8chA
    (Video courtesy YouTube/currierj21)

Either Dana White made it his New Year's resolution this year to not attack rival promotions or he saw the figures from Saturday night's Strikeforce event -- either way, he actually compliments Scott Coker and co. and their planned heavyweight grand prix in this interview with Fighters.com.

The UFC president has remained conspicuously silent on the subject and it was somewhat surprising that neither Kevin Iole or Ariel Helwani were the first to report The Baldfather's feelings about Strikeforce's eight-man tournament.

Here's what he had to say:

"No, [I do] not [feel that the grand prix is competition for the UFC] at all. You know how I feel about Strikeforce and the smaller leagues. Listen, putting on a heavyweight tournament that's going to draw some interest for those guys and then they end up with someone at the end who is perceived as one of the top guys -- I love that shit... love it. I honestly havent thought about it all, but good for them."

Maybe there's some truth to the rumor that the UFC is in talks to acquire FEG. If so, DW may just be biding his time before he lets Strikeforce know that he punked them out of their proposed role in the DREAM lightweight grand prix -- either that or we may finally get to see a Strikeforce vs. UFC tournament. OK, it's a stretch, but we can dream, can't we?

Credit: cagepotato.com

Cult of Personality
    Sawyer

Status
    Well, I guess I better put my pants on!!!
      Country                    ca=Canada

Re: Dana White is Surprisingly Complimentary of Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix

Aside for Cain and dos Santos, the heavyweight division is the UFC stinks right now. Brock might be the greatest draw in the World right now, but he is not at their level.

Strikeforce right now is the shit when it comes to Heavyweights. The problem, as many have pointed out, is the fact that these guys might not fight eachother. If they do, this tournament will be legendary. Greatest tournanment in MMA history.

You've got Fedor, who I still consider the greatest.

Then you've got the most underrated fighter on the planet in Werdum. I still think his win over Fedor was a one in a hundred, but aside from that, he has beaten everyone.

Josh Barnett, not too long ago, was rated number two in the world. This could be his time. I see him doing very well here.

Alistar Overeem should be proclaimed the fighter of 2010. This guy has won every fight and now has three World Titles.

Giant Silva is a beast and always improving. If he can somehow get by Fedor, he could really go all the way.

Anyway, +
    everyone has a chance and I can't wait for it.

Resident MMA Junkie

Status

Re: Dana White is Surprisingly Complimentary of Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix

They probably have the better heavy weights, However, I think the UFC could still put on a great tourney. I actually saw a "what if?" thing on the UFC doing one. I'll see if I can find it.

Resident MMA Junkie

Status

For Antonio Silva, Strikeforce tourney starts and ends with Fedor Emelianenko

For Antonio Silva, Strikeforce tourney starts and ends with Fedor Emelianenko

Fedor Emelianenko (32-2 MMA, 1-1 SF) is the title, tournament, and big fish all wrapped into one, says Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva (15-2 MMA, 2-1 SF).

He's not even remotely concerned about what comes next.

Some look at Silva as a mere placeholder for the Russian's advance in the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix. "Bigfoot" says they're about to get a big surprise, just like they did this past summer.

Silva said he was supposed to lose to Andrei Arlovski this past May at "Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery." The former UFC champion had hit the skids with back-to-back losses against Emelianenko and Brett Rogers, and he needed a win. Silva would be the pivot for a career turnaround.

"They thought I would be upgrading Arlovski's career," Silva told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) through translator and manager Alex Davis. "Instead, I sank it a little more.

"That's what I'm going to do this time, too."

The Brazilian heavyweight takes battle stations against Emelianenko next Saturday at the IZOD Center in East Rutherford, N.J., for "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva," which airs live on Showtime.

Oddsmakers have little faith in Silva's upset potential. He's nearly a 3-to-1 underdog, and he's been largely absent from the conversation about who is expected to come out on top in an eight-man field with several ranked competitors.

Silva, a former EliteXC champion, doesn't argue with his place on heavyweight lists. He knows he has to prove himself before he cracks the top five.

"This fight for me is like a final," he said. "I'm not even trying to look beyond this fight."

But he wouldn't be so confident if he hadn't come so close to the edge in his previous fight. His bank account was just about empty when he met the dangerous Mike Kyle at "Strikeforce: Henderson vs. Babalu," and his camp had been thrown together last-minute in his hometown of Campina Grande, Paraíba, Brazil. He was a heavy favorite; you could say Kyle was brought to be his pivot.

Instead, Kyle nearly knocked him out with a thunderous punch in the first round. He was about to lose all the momentum he'd gained with Arlovski. Somehow, though, he managed to survive and turn the tables in the second round when he took Kyle to the mat and knocked him out.

"I had a bad personal moment, and that fight proved to me that I can surpass things like that," he said. "That fight was very important for me, and I thank God for everything."

Although he is the favorite, Emelianenko has a lot to prove as well. The former PRIDE champion suffered the first true loss of his career this past June when he submitted to Fabricio Werdum. He's beaten back questions of retirement and loss of focus and sat on the shelf for the latter half of 2010 as his management grappled with Strikeforce over a contract extension. The fight with Silva is his first chance to right his ship.

Silva, for one, believes Emelianenko has a lot of fight left in him and will show that to the world – just not against him.

"I have to be very calm and very focused," Silva said. "I respect him in the same way I respect the other 18 fighters I've fought. But I can't respect him when I get in the cage. Then, it's about supporting my family."

Many years ago, Silva was heartbroken when Emelianenko defeated his idol, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, on two separate occasions. He's now ready to get some payback for American Top Team.

The finals are just around the corner.

"When I win this fight, I"m going to dedicate it to 'Minotauro,'" Silva said. I'm also going to dedicate it to my family, and (American Top Team's) Dan Lambert, who have all helped me."

Credit: mmajunkie.com
    Only reason I'm not cheering for this man is because I, like most, want to see that Overeem vs Fedor fight bad. I don't like either of them but it would be epic.

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix News & Discussion

Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix

________

Since there is a lot of news being posted about this topic and because the fights are apparently taking place on different cards this is going to be the official thread for anything Grand Prix related.

Alan Rickman

Status

Re: Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix News & Discussion

I thought that Overeem and Fedor were in different fights on the same bracket side.

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

They are, look at the lines J00

Alan Rickman

Status

Whateva.

I'd like to see those guys in the finals, which sucks. A fight between Fedor and Overeem is going to be bigger than the final.

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

Yeah, horrible bracket job. You have the all-pro bracket and the all-meh bracket.

Resident MMA Junkie

Status

I honestly feel like the only one with a walk in the first round is Arvloski.

Alan Rickman

Status

Pretty much. I don't know Silva that well, though.

Resident MMA Junkie

Status

He is not an incredible fighter but he is no chump.

Intercontinental Champion

Status

Kharitonov should be a tough test for Arlovski, he was pretty damn good in PRIDE, but he hasn't fought that much since PRIDE ended, and it's been clear he's not in his prime anymore but neither is Arlovski, so I'll be shocked if Arlovski wins easily.

Alan Rickman

Status

Well, we'll have to see when it comes down to the fight. I think Fedor could easily destroy Silva, but he could just as easily blow the fight.

Anyone else realize the mistake in the Silva article on the top of the page? Fedor is 31-2-1, not 32-2. At least, according to Sherdog he's 31-2-1, but to Wikipedia he's 32-2-1 and to MMA Junkie he's 32-2.

Resident MMA Junkie

Status

More than likely Fedor will defeat Silva in Fedor fashion, I just think Silva is a more skilled opponent then whats his name that Arlovski is fighting.

I don't know about Fedor's record as I am not a fan. Actually my Iphones name is "MMMMAAAAAAANNNNNNN F*ck Fedor!" hahaha It was after he lost to Werdum and I was pumped. I know this dislike makes me some what of a black sheep in the mma fan base but meh....
    Last edited by Hammer; 02-03-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information