Page 1 of 22 123 11 ... LastLast

Thread: General Music Discussion

The Best

Status
    Vcash

General Music Discussion

So this is a thread for topics that you wanna bring up that you don't think will need a thread of their own. Whether it's news, or simply something that you wanna tell us about the music you love or make, stick it in here and we can all discuss it and see if we agree.

For instance, some of you probably already know this, but Foo Fighters "Everlong" is my favourite song of all time, now matter my mood it will always make me feel great and make me smile. So I was wondering what other peoples all time favourite track is and why?

Alan Rickman

Status
    Vcash

Re: General Music Discussion

I don't really know if I have a favorite song. It all depends on my mood. Like, there's a bunch of Metallica songs (even though they're not my favorite band of all time) that could be my favorite or a bunch of Between The Buried And Me songs (since they are my favorite). Right at this moment, I'd say Leper Messiah by Metallica and Mordecai by Between The Buried And Me are my favorite songs.

I recently discovered Django Reinhardt and I'm really interested in picking up an acoustic guitar just so I can practice his style of guitar. I can't believe I put off looking him up until recently. He and Stochelo Rosenberg are absolutely fantastic and anyone who is a fan of jazz to listen to these guys.

The Best

Status
    Vcash

Jazz is something I've always wanted to get into. That and Blues.

I just wouldn't know where to start.

--

Status
    Vcash

Start anywhere, it doesn't matter.

Every big name jazzer that I ever had the honor and privilege to meet and/or study with, I would ask them all the same one question: What's your top 10 jazz albums that NEED to be in my collection? The most popular #1 on their top 10's was Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, so that wouldn't be a terrible place to start.

There's a lot of different styles of jazz too though, so perhaps look up a few different big names within those styles on Grooveshark or Youtube, see which one(s) grabs you and then immerse yourself in it with as much as you can stand to listen to.

The Best

Status
    Vcash

Miles Davies is a name I hear repeated over and over, so I think checking him out is a good idea.

With Blues, I was watching Black Snake Moan the other night and there was some Son House (I think that's his name) stuff that was featured, so I think I'll start with him cos it was the soundtrack that spoke to me in that film.

Alan Rickman

Status
    Vcash

Between The Buried And Me are the greatest band of all time. I can successfully say this listening to all of their work multiple times over, I see no competitor to them. They really make music that at one point or another that can cater to everyone's taste.

Stylin' and profilin'

Status
    Vcash

Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    Jazz is something I've always wanted to get into. That and Blues.

I just wouldn't know where to start.
    Since some folk have given ideas on jazz, here are my two cents on the blues. I'd start with the delta blues, the quintessential representative thereof being Robert Johnson, but there are plenty of other guys worth checking out too: Son House, David Honeyboy Edwards, Willie Brown, Robert Wilkins and Skip James to name but a few. I'd then move onto the more jazz-influenced Northern Cities style Electric Blues, like Willie Dixon and Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters and not, like Buddy Guy and Elmore James. After that, it's worth checking out the Memphis and British styles, but the above is a pretty decent introduction to the blues' two most influential styles.

Alan Rickman

Status
    Vcash

I recommend everyone to listen to Pulse by Thomas Giles. It's such a fantastic album. I requested a review of it from a blog I know and I couldn't have put it any better.

Quote Originally Posted by musiick.tumblr.com/
    The album Pulse by Thomas Giles is a nice listen during a thunderstorm. That’s what the whole thing reminded me of - in a positive sense, of course. It starts off really slow but drastically picks up in the middle, and even during the slow songs has its harder parts. I wouldn’t quite go to the lengths of calling it “the perfect storm” but it definitely has something of that aura going on. Towards the end it tends to slow down a bit, and that really wrapped it all together nicely. When I finished it I read through most of the lyrics and they really were great; probably my favorite thing about the album. Make sure to take a listen for yourself, because there really isn’t one music taste that Thomas doesn’t take time satisfy here.
    It's really got the best 2011 album for me so far. If you're VIP, there's a download link in the Music Sharing forum. For anyone who is non-VIP and wants a copy, just send me a Visitor Message and I'll get it to you.

kiss the ring

Status
    Vcash

Quote Originally Posted by NovaRoad View Post
    Start anywhere, it doesn't matter.

Every big name jazzer that I ever had the honor and privilege to meet and/or study with, I would ask them all the same one question: What's your top 10 jazz albums that NEED to be in my collection? The most popular #1 on their top 10's was Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, so that wouldn't be a terrible place to start.

There's a lot of different styles of jazz too though, so perhaps look up a few different big names within those styles on Grooveshark or Youtube, see which one(s) grabs you and then immerse yourself in it with as much as you can stand to listen to.
    A sort of cheaper question... what would you say are your top 10 favourite jazz tracks? Or top 10 that someone who has never really bothered with the genre should listen to?

The new Talib album is so good. Only listened to it through once but it's probably just behind The Beautiful Struggle as his best solo work. At this point he might be my favourite rapper ever. I think he's the sort of act most people could enjoy. "More like you shot me an email but forgot to attach the vocals, Call em a bastard like their dad a no show, I'm too fast for slow pokes running on the track with Yohji Yamamoto's"

Also liking The Black Dots Of Death's "Standing Alone" even though it's a bit too dark with the lyrics.

Alan Rickman

Status
    Vcash

I always remembered Talib being one of those rappers who even I could enjoy. I should check him out more.

The Best

Status
    Vcash

Quote Originally Posted by Good Mourning View Post
    Between The Buried And Me are the greatest band of all time. I can successfully say this listening to all of their work multiple times over, I see no competitor to them. They really make music that at one point or another that can cater to everyone's taste.
    Having not listened to them for quite some time, and only having hear about an album's worth of material (if that) I'm probably not one to comment, but even though I liked what I heard, I can certainly see how a large section of the general public would actually hate BTBAM.

Alan Rickman

Status
    Vcash

Well, no shit. They use growls and screams. I'm uploading a bunch of music later, I'll get you their stuff. I really recommend listening to all of their albums.

--

Status
    Vcash

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    A sort of cheaper question... what would you say are your top 10 favourite jazz tracks? Or top 10 that someone who has never really bothered with the genre should listen to?
    Before I run these lists off, I have to warn you that my favorite tracks will feature trumpet a great deal more having been a trumpet player myself. As for my top 10 for people who have never really bothered to listen to jazz, it would be easier for me to list albums.

My top 10 favorite tracks:

10.) Blue Seven - Sonny Rollins, Saxophone Colossus
    9.) Night Dreamer - Wayne Shorter, Night Dreamer
    8.) Blue Train - John Coltrane, Blue Train
    7.) Moanin' - Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, Moanin'
    6.) Daahoud - Clifford Brown, Clifford Brown & Max Roach
    5.) The Sidewinder - Lee Morgan, The Sidewinder
    4.) Sing a Song of Song - Kenny Garrett, Songbook
    3.) Pampas - Lalo Schifrin, Latin Jazz Suite
    2.) Old Folks - Miles Davis, Love Songs
    1.) Misra Dhenuka - Maynard Ferguson & his Big Bop Nouveau, Brass Attitude

Top 10 albums for those who've never bothered with jazz:

10.) Dave Brubek Quartet - Time Out
    9.) Stan Getz and Jaoa Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto
    8.) Horace Silver - Song For My Father
    7.) Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - A Night in Tunisia
    6.) Count Basie - Count Basie at Newport
    5.) Thelonius Monk - Straight, No Chaser
    4.) Charlie Parker and Dizzie Gillespie - Bird & Diz
    3.) Duke Ellington - Ellington at Newport 1956
    2.) Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    1.) Louis Armstrong - Hot Fives and Sevens

Alan Rickman

Status
    Vcash

I'm on facebook and one of my friends was talking about getting a bunch of people for Mayhem, so I said I would go. I then said that I would only stay until Megadeth, because I don't care for Godsmack or Disturbed. Basically what I get is her saying "Um megdeath sucks... actually "megashit" ... theyre not even metal, they are whiney little bitches that cry over their music and pretend they can sing... just sayin ".

It doesn't stop there, " um so why are you going to mayhem? just wondering... why dont you sit in your room, with your dick in hand, listening to megadeath?? do us all a favor, because if i see you im just going to laugh in your face... k bye" aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand (after I told her to go listen to Peace Sells), " Ive bothered to go back a lot farther than 1986 little precious, metallica is my favorite band... they will destroy megadeath in any form... that's why they are not considered metal...in...my...giant...book... iii thank you"

Is this really what people have come to? I don't see the point in hating a band so much that you hate their fans. I also don't see a point in being this ignorant. Like, I'm a proud fan of both Metallica and Megadeth. I don't get why anyone would be such an asshole, especially over one band.

Also, ignore her grammar.

The Forger

Status
    Vcash

I wish I had FB friends like that, would really help me relieve the stress every once in a while. I just get people hoping that venues burn down because a certain artist is performing there.....

I hate ignorance like that. I hate many bands, but I don't hold it against other people. They wanna like them, fine, just don't push them on me.

Stylin' and profilin'

Status
    Vcash

JB, seriously, to hell with her. Megadeth are a fine band. In fact, I rate them above Metallica any day, they're one of the few metal bands that I really like, and Mustaine is definitely my favourite metal songwriter, guy is a wordsmith. I find it really stupid when people create either/or fanhoods where you 'can't' be a Metallica fan if you like Megadeth, or, back in the day, you couldn't be an Oasis and Blur fan. Music doesn't work like that - it's bigger than petty fucking feuds.

--

Status
    Vcash

I'll never understand why people do that. Is it "cooler" to be a Metallica fan? I just don't get it really. Things like this always remind me of the South Park episode where Stan goes Goth and the one kid says something along the lines of "You can't be a non-conformist and NOT drink coffee." I love talking music, I love discussing and debating it, but I hate hate hate people who tell me I listen to shit based on their criteria that's comprised mostly of status and image.

Alan Rickman

Status
    Vcash

She tried trolling me on Facebook later. That's a whole different story, but I don't see why fans can't mesh together. It happens all the time for everyone else except for her, apparently.

HIPSTER MOD

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.
    Vcash

Rape her ears with Holy Wars.

-------
    Stuff You Should Click On Or I'll Make Sure You Get Banned
    Events: ROH's Second to None
    Indy/Puro Pick Em's: Results/Standings
    Discuss: ROH | PWG | DGUSA | EVOLVE | CZW | CHIKARA | AAW | Puro | Other/Random
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus T View Post
    Nicky was right.

Alan Rickman

Status
    Vcash

More like Peace Sells.

Thread Information