Status

ROH ROH Charlotte, NC 15/1 - Card & Results Thread

Charlotte, NC- January 15th

ROH World Title Match

Roderick Strong defends vs. Jay Briscoe

World TV Title Match

Christopher Daniels defends vs. Claudio Castagnoli with Shane Hagadorn

Grudge Match

Davey Richards vs. ROH World Tag Team Champion Chris Hero with Shane Hagadorn

Four Corner Survival

El Generico vs. Homicide vs. Mark Briscoe vs. Kenny King

Special Challenge Match

Colt Cabana vs. Grizzly Redwood

Tag Team Rematch

Adam Cole and Kyle O’Reilly vs. The Bravado Brothers

Singles Action
    Rhett Titus vs. Caprice Coleman

Singles Action

Steve Corino vs. Andy “Right Leg” Ridge

Also scheduled to appear:
    - “The Prodigy” Mike Bennett

The Hunt Never Dies…

They have stood on the same side of the ring on numerous occasions, and in recent months have battled for the ROH World Tag Team Titles on two occasions, but shockingly, they have never battled in a traditional one-on-one bout inside the Ring of Honor ring. They did battle as part of the “2010 Holiday Gauntlet”, but that was only after Davey had faced two other opponents. Now, on January 15, 2011, for the first time in ROH history, Davey Richards and ROH World Tag Team Champion Chris Hero will go to battle!

While both men suffered defeats at “Final Battle 2010”, only Davey suffered serious physical consequences as a result, but his doctors insist he will be ready for action by the time ROH’s initial events of 2011 roll around. And while Hero looks to put the loss to the Briscoe family in his rearview mirror, it’s almost certain that Richards will obsess on his loss, and use it to fuel the fires of motivation. While unavailable for comment, Richards past has certainly shown that he tends to grow stronger in defeat.

As for Hero, well….. “Richards felt the wrath of my elbows in Plymouth,” stated one-half of the Tag Champions, “and learned what it felt like to step into the ring with a true king of wrestling. For a long time we stood on the same side of the ring, but when you laid your hands on Shane, on our ace, you became an opponent. When you thought you could take the Kings’ title away from us, you became an enemy, and now that you’re stepping up to face me one-on-one, you’ve become a victim. Your head is soft right now Davey and you’re stepping into the ring with the concussion king. KO with my elbows, concuss with my kicks, and let me remind you of something you best not forget; Kings…reign…supreme!”

Richards vs. Hero, January 15th in Charlotte, NC! Don’t miss out on your opportunity to see this battle between two of pro wrestling’s best! Get your tickets here: ROH Live Event Tickets :: Charlotte, NC- January 15th - CS-Cart. Powerful PHP shopping cart software! And word on the street has it that in Charlotte something big is in store for the other half of the World Tag Team Champions Claudio Castagnoli as well….
    Last edited by Malcolm Ecstasy; 01-13-2011 at 05:30 PM.

2014 ROH Matches Ranking:

#1. Jay Briscoe, reDRagon & Jay Lethal vs. ACH, Roderick Strong, Tommaso Ciampa & Adam Cole - Champions vs. All-Stars

#2. Roderick Strong vs. AJ Styles - ROH on SBG 1/2/14
    #3. Adam Cole vs. Jay Briscoe - Ladder War V
    #4. Adam Cole vs. Kevin Steen - Global Wars
    #5. Adam Cole vs. Chris Hero - 12th Anniversary Show

Spoiler:

#6. Tommaso Ciampa vs. Hanson - 12th Anniversary Show
    #7. Kevin Steen & The Young Bucks vs. Michael Elgin & The Briscoes - Raising the Bar - Night 1
    #8. Michael Elgin vs. Kevin Steen - Supercard of Honor VIII
    #9. Adam Cole vs. Chris Hero - Ringmaster's Challenge
    #10. The Young Bucks vs. Forever Hooligans vs. The Time Splitters - Global Wars

2014 Five Worst ROH Matches Ranking:
    #5. Brutal Burgers vs. RD Evans & Moose - Field Of Honor
    #4. Caprice Coleman vs. Michael Elgin - ROH on SBG 22/11/14
    #3. The Romantic Touch vs. Caprice Coleman - State of the Art
    #2. Corey Hollis vs. Mike Posey - Top Prospect Tournament (Round 1)
    #1. Alex Reigns vs. Weezy Woo - State of the Art

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Evil Admin.

Status

Re: ROH Charlotte, NC 15/1 - Card & Results Thread

The booking of this baffles me. They waste their first time ROH meeting in a nothing match that despite being weaken by wrestling twice already, Davey won cleanly. Fluke or not, Hero didn't look like he was in Davey's league. They just killed any interest I had in this match by that stupid booking.

kiss the ring

Status

The result is pretty predictable thanks to the concussion angle.

HIPSTER MOD

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.

Yeah, they really didn't need to add the easy-to-discover-as-kayfabe concussion.

-------
    Stuff You Should Click On Or I'll Make Sure You Get Banned
    THE CHRONICLES OF RIDIC: The Hurricane | Simon Dean | Anonymous Raw GM | 3 Count
    Discuss: ROH | PWG | DGUSA | EVOLVE | CZW | CHIKARA | AAW | Puro | Other/Random
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus T View Post
    Nicky was right.
    [09:52 PM] Dakstang: Yeah I would rather watch a same sex marriage than Pokemon

Last Real Man Hype

Status

I think the result and circumstances of their Holiday Gauntlet match makes this not-so predictable. Besides, Hero getting a singles win over anyone in the main event scene is good for him. I can't think of when that might've happened since Danielson.

And Nickeh, so what if they're trying to do an injury angle? Obviously they're going to try to keep at realistic as they can, but they don't need to go as far pulling him from other promotions' shows just to cover it up. It could turn out to be a good angle.
    Last edited by Malcolm Ecstasy; 12-21-2010 at 01:40 PM.

#1. Jay Briscoe, reDRagon & Jay Lethal vs. ACH, Roderick Strong, Tommaso Ciampa & Adam Cole - Champions vs. All-Stars

Spoiler:

#7. Kevin Steen & The Young Bucks vs. Michael Elgin & The Briscoes - Raising the Bar - Night 1

You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Evil Admin.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh. View Post
    Besides, Hero getting a singles win over anyone in the main event scene is good for him.
    How is Hero winning good at all for him? He's already lost to a weaken concussion boy. I imagine the result will be Davey putting up a tough fight, but one elbow from Hero affects the concussion enough that Hero wins. That's a fine result and all, had that result happened in their first ROH meeting. Even though Hero wouldn't be able to legitimately say he's better, he still holds the first win. However, now he's just the guy who's getting lucky with a concussion to even the series. Any midcarder could have been given the same result.

This doesn't help Hero at all.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

It's still a win over a consistent singles main eventer, which Hero hasn't had in a long time. You know Davey's not going to be selling that concussion well at all anyway, so it's going to look like Hero went over the same ol' Davey.

It's not great, but there is a benefit.

Spoiler:

HIPSTER MOD

Status

I didn't say pull him from other promotions. I just don't think they should have gave him an angle like that.

-------
    THE CHRONICLES OF RIDIC: The Hurricane | Simon Dean | Anonymous Raw GM | 3 Count
    -------
    Nicky was right.

Evil Admin.

Status

[QUOTE=Marketh.;1364772]You know Davey's not going to be selling that concussion well at all anyway, so it's going to look like Hero went over the same ol' Davey./QUOTE]

Davey did one hell of a job selling it at Final Battle. These concussion angles all go the same way. The wrestler is fine for 90% of the match up until the ending. I imagine Davey will be fine in selling it.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Friends No More…

They have stood beside each other through thick and thin, and developed a friendship that extends beyond the confines the locker room. Whether it be hanging out and playing Madden football, extending their weekends to hang out & watch Sunday football together, or just drinking at the bar after the show, Jay Briscoe and Roderick Strong were as tight as brothers. They’ve spent time with each other’s families, slept in each other’s houses, and been in many a fight together.

Enter: Truth Martini. From the day Truth came into Roderick’s life, which was apparently even before he officially became the ROH World Champion’s manager/life coach, Strong has been a different man. According to Jay, as far as their friendship goes, it may as well be dead in the water.

“I meant what I said man, Truth Martini is a bitch!” said Jay, “That man has got Roddy all twisted! Thinking he needed him to win the belt, that he needed Truth to find himself or some crap. Truth be told, that chump needs Roddy Strong not the other way around. Without Roddy, Truth wouldn’t have anybody, he’d be nothing. And if I gotta slap Roddy upside his head a few times to wake his ass up, well it won’t be the first time and it damn sure won’t be the last. I know you hear what I’m saying Roddy, I know you feel me. Stand on your own two feet…man up.”

As witnessed in the newest ROH Video Wire (YouTube - ROH Video Wire 12-21-10), Strong is more than ready to defend, not only Truth, but also the ROH World Title against any man willing to step up to the plate. As the ROH faithful know, there are few men more willing to fight than Jay Briscoe. Truth doesn’t want this obviously, denying Jay’s worthiness as a contender, but Strong has contacted ROH officials since the Video Wire went live and demanded they make this match official for when we return to Charlotte, NC.

Since both parties want this bout, ROH officials have decided that it will take place on January 15, 2011 in Charlotte, NC! ROH World Champion Roderick Strong defends against Jay Briscoe at the Metrolina Expo! These two tore each other apart in 2009 when their rivalry was a friendly one, what will they put each other through with all the animosity that has quietly developed…especially with the World Title on the line?

Get your tickets now for ROH’s return to Charlotte, NC: ROH Live Event Tickets :: Charlotte, NC- January 15th - CS-Cart. Powerful PHP shopping cart software, and don’t miss out on this hard-hitting World Title match as well as Davey Richards vs. Chris Hero!
    Sounds ok, but it really shouldn't be going above Hero/Richards as main event. It's just not on the level of the triple threat or Davey/Tyler.

Spoiler:

Evil Admin.

Status

Since when was Strong and Briscoe so tight? Briscoes were one of the first targets of Generation Next and it was restarted with the Briscoe's return in 2006. Granted, I haven't kept up with ROH in the last year or two, but as tight as brothers? REALLY?

I don't have any issues with the match though. Briscoe is pretty much the new Roderick Strong in that your title reign isn't complete until you beat Jay.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

It was never emphasised a lot, like Rey/Batista was (4 hugs/handshakes in one promo), but it's been known for a while that they're friends. They had a 3-match series last year that I think established this, but it might've been before.

I remember a videowire promo where Jay was like "aw man, we gon' tear it up then go out for a beer afterwards on me".

Spoiler:

i love moms

Status

Daniels to lose it before his title win airs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lghikas View Post
    I basically live out my internet life to gain Jake's approval.
    [10:54 PM] Yeezus: these bitches love Jake, hit em with that cobra now that boy slumped ova

HIPSTER MOD

Status

^ Would be great, but I don't think it will happen.

-------
    -------
    Nicky was right.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    How is Hero winning good at all for him? He's already lost to a weaken concussion boy. I imagine the result will be Davey putting up a tough fight, but one elbow from Hero affects the concussion enough that Hero wins. That's a fine result and all, had that result happened in their first ROH meeting. Even though Hero wouldn't be able to legitimately say he's better, he still holds the first win. However, now he's just the guy who's getting lucky with a concussion to even the series. Any midcarder could have been given the same result.

This doesn't help Hero at all.
    Well let us not forget, Hero is a heel and Richards is a face at this moment. Hero doesn't need the simple clean win but let's not forget he is still beating Richards of all people. Richards, with or without a concussion, is still a hard muthafu%#& to put down(Roderick Strong had to make him pass out) and is still the company ace so a win over him is a tremendous way to get up there. It's the equivalent of Dolph Ziggler beating a concussioned John Cena. Sure Cena is concussed and all but Dolph just did beat the biggest name in the freakin company.

[QUOTE=Jim;1364786]
    Quote Originally Posted by Marketh. View Post
    You know Davey's not going to be selling that concussion well at all anyway, so it's going to look like Hero went over the same ol' Davey./QUOTE]

Davey did one hell of a job selling it at Final Battle. These concussion angles all go the same way. The wrestler is fine for 90% of the match up until the ending. I imagine Davey will be fine in selling it.
    Pretty much if not by the first strike move by Hero. Richards sold his buns off for Hero in both their previous matches(The Gaunlet & at Seven) so this could be even better if done right.
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Claudio's definitely not going over Daniels, it just wouldn't make sense. The main positive of this match, though, is that Claudio is a bigger win than anyone Eddie Edwards defended the belt against, so Daniels' reign is off to a good start.

Three matches in, this card is looking great.

Steve Corino, The All Night Express, “The Prodigy” Mike Bennett, Colt Cabana, Grizzly Redwood and The Bravado Brothers have all been added.
    Last edited by Malcolm Ecstasy; 12-29-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Spoiler:

Evil Admin.

Status

Throw on Cole vs Titus and this show has one of the better chances at having a great January ROH show for a change.

Tag Team Specialist

Status

Hero vs. Richards should be a good, stiff match. Hero going over would be nice. Strong vs. Jay will be a nice title match, but I think Hero/Richards should be the main event over this. Claudio vs. Daniels will be all right. I hope Claudio wins, but probably won't happen.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

As sure as I am that this will end up being the Match of the show, it shouldn't go over the World title. Just no.
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Throw on Cole vs Titus and this show has one of the better chances at having a great January ROH show for a change.
    SoCal Showdown this year was a pretty great show I thought. Great 8-man tag main event, Aries/Liger, Steen/Tornado.

Spoiler:

Thread Information