Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WC's 2010 Promo of the Year Ongoing Discussion Thread

ಠ_ಠ

Status

WC's 2010 Promo of the Year Ongoing Discussion Thread

I think one thing that we really have missed is and one thing that is really big in the wrestling industry is promos. Without them, I'm sure many wrestlers wouldn't probably be as over as they are and the fans wouldn't be so emotionally behind them. Emotionally meaning they ether despise their guts or want them to succeed in whatever their objective is. So to finally get this thing going, I nominate three of what I feel is the best promos this year.

Prior to this, Batista wasn't really known for a being a great promo guy. I, however, have always thought he was good and sometimes even great promo work especially in the Michaels vs. Flair consequences. Here, he does one of my favorite things I love to see....when a heel unravels everything and makes it seem as if he is in the right. Cena is no push over ether in this as his retort and facial expression at the end really put over this whole thing

I think 411mania writer, Ari Berenstein, put it best in saying this promo is one of the better of the year because it is genuine, emotional and gets to the core of who Davey Richards is as a wrestler but also as a person. I would say Richards is a good promo guy...while not as great as a Hero, Kingston, or a Steen but he gets the point across. For him to talk about his mother, family, and wife and how it all impacted his decision truly gets to the heart. We all sometimes see wrestlers roosters in a cock fight but this makes you see Richards as so much more.

For anyone that hasn't seen Daniel Bryan previously before his coming to the WWE, you probably don't understand that while he isn't extraordinary, he can certainly cut something good. However, this is far better than anything I've seen in his indy work. Michael Cole makes sure to bring his game in being the heel and bring to the front as to why he bashed Daniel. Bryan efforts in this is great as it totally changes his fun loving character to something much more and this whole segment is capped off with a jaw dropping altercation with the Miz. Great promo

So put in, agree, or discuss reasons why something may not belong. Curious as to what ya'lls thoughts on as to what the best promo of the year is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

Squash Fodder

Status

Re: WC's 2010 Promo of the Year Ongoing Discussion Thread

I was thinking the same. I liked Cm Punk's promo on the SES when he told them not to ever be satisfied but to always have something to desire. Also the Flair and Lethal exchange was excellent.

Tommy Got Hacked

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

Everything in the Richards promo is actually legit true though. His wife recently divorced him, his whole thing with the family is sadly correct, and the guy doesn't have much outside of his passion for wrestling. Say what you will but I find that whole promo(More like a confession) more genuine than anything out there. Nearly nothing in the promo was actually kayfabe outside of his aspirations for the championship.

Oh and Majin, I don't watch TNA but I have heard great things about the Flair/Lethal promos. Mind posting them or your favorites so we can get mor of a discussion about them?

I almost forgot the Miz/MVP promo earlier this year that was outstanding. Miz and MVP's best promo work ever.
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

Believe

Status

Miz's promo on MVP in January (I believe) when he started backstage then worked the promo while walking to the ring. Still my favorite promo of the year!

Trailing behind it is Punk's ongoing promo in the Rumble match. "As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted!" So awesome!

Stylin' and profilin'

Status

The Davey Richards promo was beautiful. One of the highlights of the night, and certainly one of the most heart-felt moments in wrestling this year.

Also, to start with but two:

The Miz and MVP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAnnMv4Fgns
    Mix two guys with interesting real-life backstories and great abilities on the mic and you get this intense, emotional rollercoaster that comes off feeling fresh and sincere.

Flair vs. Lethal
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Chk7uQbHbs
    One of the best things TNA has done this year. Lethal holds his own against one of the greatest promo cutters by emulating him. Hilarious stuff.

Tommy Got Hacked

ಠ_ಠ

Status

For some reason, I bet if that was Cena, you'd be holding a exception. Regardless it does a great way of building to the climax of his promo of whether he would be staying or not. So yes, I do consider it a great promo when all has actual meaning and a build to a interesting climax.

Watching the Flair/Lethal promo now...

Tommy Got Hacked

Team CoCo

Status

I like the Flair/Lethal promo best, although i really dug the Batista promo.

Gervinho's Forehead

Status

CM Punk singing Happy Birthday to Rey Mysterio's daughter

or

Anything Batista did up to Wrestlemania.

Squash Fodder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Rage View Post
    Genuine doesn't = good. I couldn't care less about his real life. This is pro wrestling.
    The more geunine something is or at least appears to be makes it more believable because you don't have to act. Being a good actor is great but I like things that are genuine or at least appear to be.

Redwood Original

Status

This one is pretty simple if you ask me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAniKKix7KU

Thank God! Thank God, thank God thank GOD! I'm an Asshole! ASSSSHOLE!

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer
    simple logic is sometimes the hardest thing for smart people

In Defense of Capitalism.
    The Lesson Of the Pencil
    Economics of Liberty
    The Real Che
    The real Che would not like your t-shit, or Jay Z singing about him... he'd kill you for it.

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.
    ~Thomas Jefferson"
    Spoiler:

Tommy Got Hacked

ಠ_ಠ

Status

You missed the point Tommy. Not only does it give you a reason to care for the wrestler but it also gives you a reason to care in what direction they are going in the promo. If Richards was talking about how he likes watching the simpsons and how he likes eating Pizza then I don't know why I would give the fuck no matter how Genuine it is. This, however, wasn't the case as it all revolved around his pro wrestling career(Which was the subject) and him not only as a wrestler but as a person as well. THAT is why it is a great promo and the top of the year.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

2014 ROH Matches Ranking:

#1. Roderick Strong vs. AJ Styles - ROH on SBG 1/2/14
    #2. Adam Cole vs. Jay Briscoe - Ladder War V
    #3. Adam Cole vs. Kevin Steen - Global Wars
    #4. Adam Cole vs. Chris Hero - 12th Anniversary Show
    #5. Tommaso Ciampa vs. Hanson - 12th Anniversary Show

Spoiler:

#6. Kevin Steen & The Young Bucks vs. Michael Elgin & The Briscoes - Raising the Bar - Night 1
    #7. Michael Elgin vs. Kevin Steen - Supercard of Honor VIII
    #8. Adam Cole vs. Chris Hero - Ringmaster's Challenge
    #9. The Young Bucks vs. Forever Hooligans vs. The Time Splitters - Global Wars
    #10. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kevin Steen - War of the Worlds

2014 Five Worst ROH Matches Ranking:
    #5. The Romantic Touch vs. Michael Bennett - Wrestling's Finest
    #4. Bobby Fish vs. The Romantic Touch - The Road to Best In The World - Night 1
    #3. The Romantic Touch vs. Caprice Coleman - State of the Art
    #2. Corey Hollis vs. Mike Posey - Top Prospect Tournament (Round 1)
    #1. Alex Reigns vs. Weezy Woo - State of the Art

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

HIPSTER MOD

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.

About time Corino got mentioned for that. That has been the best on the indies, tbh.

And I agree with Punk's Raw 900th Promo, Miz/MVP, Batista's fat girl promo, and that's it.

Now let's crank up the MOX.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZO37Mh9aOk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKlz261mL00

Lay down some Kingston
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F84WGCW-hd8

Get Crazy with Pinkie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twNz-L2Y8rA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3IPfYJHTNI

and get batshit insane with Sami
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1hBn5oGfnk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIivkjh0IKY
    Last edited by Nicky Talent; 01-03-2011 at 09:59 PM.

-------
    Stuff You Should Click On Or I'll Make Sure You Get Banned
    THE CHRONICLES OF RIDIC: The Hurricane | Simon Dean | Anonymous Raw GM | 3 Count
    Discuss: ROH | PWG | DGUSA | EVOLVE | CZW | CHIKARA | AAW | Puro | Other/Random
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus T View Post
    Nicky was right.
    [09:52 PM] Dakstang: Yeah I would rather watch a same sex marriage than Pokemon

Covered in Blood

Status

Those Moxley promos pale in comparison to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdIwKalzKQw

It downright gives me chills every time I listen to it. Especially 2:15 onward.

I don't know if I can name any specific promos. Punk, Moxley, Kane, Pinkie, Sami, and even *gasp* Danielson are my top promo guys for this year though.

HIPSTER MOD

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.

That one was good. The music fits well with the attitude and now seeing Lee/Mox, it's just as good. Wouldn't say pale in comparison, though

-------
    Stuff You Should Click On Or I'll Make Sure You Get Banned
    THE CHRONICLES OF RIDIC: The Hurricane | Simon Dean | Anonymous Raw GM | 3 Count
    Discuss: ROH | PWG | DGUSA | EVOLVE | CZW | CHIKARA | AAW | Puro | Other/Random
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus T View Post
    Nicky was right.
    [09:52 PM] Dakstang: Yeah I would rather watch a same sex marriage than Pokemon

Cult of Personality
    Sawyer

Status
    Well, I guess I better put my pants on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Capone View Post
    YouTube - WWE NXT 5/25/10 - Michael Cole calls out Daniel Bryan (Bryan Danielson) High Quality

For anyone that hasn't seen Daniel Bryan previously before his coming to the WWE, you probably don't understand that while he isn't extraordinary, he can certainly cut something good. However, this is far better than anything I've seen in his indy work. Michael Cole makes sure to bring his game in being the heel and bring to the front as to why he bashed Daniel. Bryan efforts in this is great as it totally changes his fun loving character to something much more and this whole segment is capped off with a jaw dropping altercation with the Miz. Great promo.
    Ok, I know I've ripped Bryan before and I know I'm biased here, but the MVP of this segment was definitely Michael Cole. He was awesome here.

This is one of the best promo Kane has ever done. Great stuff here.

Anything by CM Punk...this is just his promo from the 900tth RAW.

I laughed from beginning to end. Lethal can be awesome sometimes.

Thread Information