Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [TEW 2016/2020] A 2013 Mod in Progress - The YES! Mod

Status

[TEW 2016/2020] A 2013 Mod in Progress - The YES! Mod

A 2013 Mod in Progress - The YES! Mod

The Basics

What is TEW 2016: its Total Extreme Wrestling 2016, a text-based wrestling sim game created by Adam Ryland. Basically, you run a wrestling company. Book the shows, sign and fire talent, create the storylines, determine the results, etc. As I described it elsewhere, its like the WWE 2K games Universe mod, but with way more control and way less visuals.

Ryland is the same developer who created Extreme Warfare Revenge almost two decades and it remains a popular game. TEW 2016 is the seventh version of the game. We have a discussion thread here on WC.

Because TEW is not a freeware game like EWR was, it cannot come with trademarked materials. So including real companies and real wrestlers is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Due to that, TEW always features a fictional gameworld called the CornellVerse, which has slowly evolved and grown since TEW 2004.

If you are interested in playing TEW, there is a demo available for TEW 2016 and TEW 2005 is available as freeware.

What is TEW 2020: the forthcoming 8th version of the game. Ryland has been working on it for awhile and its in the later stages of development / early stages of testing. No release date has been announced yet.

What is a Mod: just like for any other video game, its a modification. TEW is created to work with these. While some mods are fairly minor things like graphics, the most important mods are databases that allow you to book other game worlds. These include fictional / fantasy mods, real world historical mods, and current day real world mods. These are databases.

TEW is a much deeper and more detailed game than EWR, which is a good thing. However, that also means that the database is much bigger and has more information. A bad thing, because it makes modding a lot more challenging. Not “hard” in every sense but definitely time-consuming. Due to this, you will find some serious deviation in the quality of mods available. I completely get it if a mod-maker hasn't taken the time to fill in the employment history on every worker in the mod, but you can also see where they have taken a basic worker template and used it over and over again for the entire indy scene in some regions. That's less cool.... but I get it.

The Yes! Mod
    The Background: I've never created a mod before. I've been part of the Mod Squad and helped out (in a tiny way) on the ThunderVerse. I ended up creating an alternative version of the Mod Squad's May 2001 WCW Lives mod. It kinda happened by accident. In the beta testing phase of TEW 2016, I was testing the database conversion features and decided I waned to play the WCW Lives but with a different scenario on how WCW survives. That led to a lot of re-balancing and additions of future workers and promotions. Ironically, some of those future workers and promotions ended up getting included int he official release when the mod got converted over and updated properly by the Mod Squad.

I have a bit of nostalgia for the 2009-2014 period of WWE. And wrestling as a whole in that period. But there isn't a solid, well balanced mod available yet, at least that I have found. A long while back, I asked around and was given an early version of the Real World Chronicles mod starting in 2013. It would be filled in and become the RWC mod that is released regularly still today. There were two primary issues with that mod. One is that it was put together in 2013, and not completed. So not only is it missing any workers who debuted after that but also missing plenty of young workers from certain regions. The mod had about 1500 workers to start, compared to almost double that for current releases of the RWC. The second problem is the balance and scaling of the mod. Its not wrong, but I have a difference preference. Which would essentially mean not only adding hundreds of workers to fill things, but also adjusting the workers already in the mod.

Given the amount of work involved, I would pick up the project every so often, do a bit, get discouraged, and leave it again for awhile. So I came up with another approach that I think might work.... maybe...

Why 2013?: there are real world historical mods for some of the more interesting periods in wrestling history – 1980, 1985, 1987, 1990, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, and 2001. There are pending mods for 2004 and 2011. One can find mods from different periods but they haven't been converted from earlier versions of the game and updated fully. So again, require work to be playable.

The 2013 period feels like a transition point in a lot of ways. Mid-2013 was where the Yes movement really got underway, leading to Daniel Bryan's big moment at WM. The same WM where the Streak ended. CM Punk is still around, the Shield is at its peak, and the Wyatt family are monsters, not goofballs yet. The genesis of the Women's Revolution was happening, but not yet actually underway. NXT was starting to get interesting. The WWE Network would launch in 2014.

But beyond the WWE, there is TONS of interesting stuff going on in the wrestling world at this time. New Japan has its golden period underway but nowhere near peaked. All Japan and Noah are both at low points, with the Burning exodus from Noah to All Japan just having happened. The BritWres scene is starting to heat up. wXw is starting to see the best of WALTER in Germany. The US indy scene had a lot of talent, and while TNA is on the decline, ROH still has a lot of potential. EVOLVE had a pretty awesome roster in the 2013-2016, full of workers who would end up in the WWE. Basically, mid-2013 feels like a period with a ton of potential and where things could be interesting to see unfold differently.

The other period I really considered is 2009ish. The problem is that a lot of the guys who are now breaking out or hitting their peak were not around yet. Meaning you would have to get a couple of years into a save to start to see the BritWres scene take off, etc If this mod is ever finished, I might try to move it back in time to have a 2009 version as well.

Real World Mods and What Do I Mean by “Balance”: as is commonly quipped about Football Manager, a text sim game is basically interacting with a database. So the quality of that database really does impact your game experience.

The fundamental gameplay of TEW is to book shows. You run wrestling shows, with the intent of growing the company and being successful. That happens by running shows with good grades. The individual segment grades are determined by the skills of the workers involved, their popularity, and the product, then further impacted by a series of small factors. The overall company popularity then determines when the overall show grade is sufficient or not. So the individual worker skillsets, their individual popularity, and the company popularity all play a big role in the grades that are generated. This is true whether its a company you are running or the AI.

The balance of the mod is essentially how the mod-maker has arranged the combination of individual workers. If its off, even in an area or a single company, things will play in a certain way. Perhaps intended, perhaps not. For example, if the WWE talent is all very skillful and popular, then getting strong grades with the WWE becomes really easy. Even if the worker skills are fine but their popularity is high, that will still happen (given that WWE is a popularity-driven product). That makes the WWE extremely easy to succeed with – again, that could be intended. Similarly, if an indy scene in a given region (a handful of smaller companies and enough talent to fill them) is scaled to be all average and below workers, it will mean that region will be unlikely to grow in a significant way.

Scaling is similar to this. Its how the mod-maker chooses to use the range of specific individual skills and popularity. What do they want to be the peak in that gameworld? The average? Let's say you have decided that John Cena is the most popular individual worker in the mod. Does that mean he's A* popularity in his home region? Or do you scale lower, based on the logic that Steve Austin, The Rock, and Hulk Hogan were the peak of wrestling popularity in the United Stated and Cena has never hit the same individual level as them? Scaling of some attributes, as well as popularity, can have a really big impact. If you have a game-world that has a 100 workers with A* Psychology, that is a lot of workers capable of putting on top level matches. The grades generated will reflect that.

When a mod-maker sets out to make a mod, they have determine how they want the balance and scaling to work. They can go for absolute accuracy (which is, again, subjective) or they can go for a certain intent. Different balances are thereby different gameplay experiences are not wrong, but they may appeal to different audiences. And this usually needs to be consistent throughout the mod. For example, how you want workers scaled when they debut? Should they be accurate to their skills at their debut age – let's say 22 years old – or accurate to their peak age? Or somewhere in between? And its kinda important for mod balance to be consistent with that.

I realized in the 2K1 process that I don't have the patience to shoot for absolute accuracy. That takes a huge level of dedication, and I have massive respect for modders like Genadi, Mr. Creative, Hive, and others. Its one thing to spend a bunch of time bashing around the interwebz looking for info on an obscure worker.... but the time-dedication multiples quickly if you also spend time watching multiple matches for a lot of individuals to assess their skills as completely and accurately as possible. I'm way too lazy for that shit. And honestly, I want things to be produce results more than anything else.

Which lead to me exploring an idea I've had for a long time (and may have taken from someone else's suggestion, entirely possible...)

The Methodology: importing workers from the CornellVersse and the ThunderVerse, then editing them as needed to be the real world worker.

The CornellVerse, as mentioned, is the default fictional universe. The ThunderVerse is a similar fictional universe created by a group of TEW fans, and its done well enough to get Ryland's official endorsements. Both have well balanced game-worlds that evolve relatively nicely. They feature an excellent spread of top level talent, young prospects, solid veterans, and indy filler. Most areas of the game world are filled in relatively nicely (with some minor exceptions),

So my intent is to find workers that are relatively similar to the real world worker I want, import them, adjust the details, tweak the attributes and popularity a bit, and you now have the real world worker you want. Given that even if I import the worker from another mod, I still have to check all of that stuff, its not really a longer process and it ensues the detail work is done.

The idea is that its more about slotting that working into the gameworld effectively to fill that role than the exact specific . So if I want a charismatic brawler to main event a national-sized company, I can find several of those in either mod. Change the details and I have John Cena. Rinse and repeat approximately 2000 times.

Probably worth clarifying that the intent is absolutely not to replicate the overall game-world of either mod. The companies are being imported from the RWC 2013 mod and will be tweaked to be fairly close to accurate in terms of company popularity, product, etc. The game-world of each mod differs from reality in 2013 quite notably. The CornellVerse has three national promotions in the US, two in Japan, one in England, and a monstrously big and aggressive promotion in Mexico. Both game-worlds also tend to evolve in a fairly predictable and repetitive manner based on the specific companies they have.

The Intent: to end up with a deep, detailed mod with a nice overall balance that allows companies to produce “realistic” results. By realistic, I mean grades that aren't really high or really low. I'm hopefully that most areas of the game world will have talent of almost all levels.

And the purpose of this thread is mostly just for me to rant and ramble about things. Some folks might be interested – Jon, The EC, and some others. But its probably for my entertainment and motivation more than anything else.

The Mod Details
    Start Date: May 1, 2013
    Active Promotions: 61
    Future Promotions: 7
    Total Workers: 700
    Active Male Workers: 455
    Active Female Workers: 93
    Future Male Workers: 8
    Future Female Workers: 1
    Non-Wrestlers: 83
    Yet to Debut Non-Wrestlers: 4
    Agers: 713
    Alter Egos: 309
    Dojo Graduates: 119
    Mask & Hair History: 18
    Stables: 24
    Teams: 119
    Titles: 19
    Last Updated: December 2, 2019

Top 30 Workers in Game
    1. Hiroshi Tanahashi
    2. Bryan Danielson
    3. Kazuchika Okada
    4. CM Punk
    5. Shinsuke Nakamura
    6. AJ Styles
    7. Kota Ibushi
    8. Chris Jericho
    9. Averno
    10. Negro Casas
    11. CIMA
    12. Fergal Devitt
    13. Keiji Mutoh
    14. Kurt Angle
    15. YAMATO
    16. Kenny Omega
    17. Tetsuya Naito
    18. John Cena
    19. Rey Mysterio
    20. The Undertaker
    21. Minoru Suzuki
    22. La Mascara
    23. KENTA
    24. Masaaki Mochizuki
    25. Triple H
    26 . Naomichi Marufuji
    27. Psycho Clown
    28. HARASHIMA
    29. La Sombra
    30. Ultimo Guerrero

* Just outside the top 25 - Brock Lesnar, Atlantis, El Generico, Randy Orton, & Claudio Castagnoli
    ** there is some variance each save in terms of the absolute rankings. So #4 and #5 might switch around on one new save
    *** veteran workers who are declining such as Kurt Angle and Ultimo Guerrero have physical condition that will impact their match grades notably, so their ranking is a bit... "false"

Pending Questions I'm Seeking Opinions On
    Random Opinions Help Request #1 - Luchadors
    Last edited by Big Papa; 12-05-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Re: [TEW 2016/2020] A 2013 Mod in Progress - The YES! Mod

What Can You Do

I guess there is a purpose to posting this, beyond me vomiting up walls of text about the minutiae of progress I've made / not made. Some of you may be interested in helping out.

Testing: once this is further along, testing will definitely be necessary. But as I didn't start adding talent in an overly systematic manner, no one company is anywhere near close to complete to be tested out.

Suggest: this is a bit challenging without being able to see the data, I realize. But I'm open to suggestions on companies to include (a big ask in some ways) or workers to include (smaller). Or easier, workers that you feel are underrated and would like to see scaled more accurately. This might be based on other mods you've seen / played, or just how the given worker is generally perceived. My wrestling world knowledge is decent, not amazing, and I know that impacted how things ended up scaled in the 2K1 tweak. Areas where I have marginal familiarity suffered for it - Mexico as a whole, and the joshi scene definitely, the BritWres and European scene (beyond Progress) as well as some current indy talent that was just breaking out in the past couple of years. Jon was super helpful in suggesting workers to look at. So yeah, I'm definitely open to names.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Low percentage chance I do end up helping but I dont watch much wrestling nowadays, and haven't opened up TEW '16 since they announced TEW '20 (I really wish I could get TEW '16 on my phone or Switch or browser, I'd sink hours into it). Looking forward to seeing the progress and with nearly a year till the next one is out, I feel like you have a lot of time to chip at this in time for something simmable by the next release. Good luck!

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

I can help with info as best as I can.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    Low percentage chance I do end up helping but I dont watch much wrestling nowadays, and haven't opened up TEW '16 since they announced TEW '20 (I really wish I could get TEW '16 on my phone or Switch or browser, I'd sink hours into it). Looking forward to seeing the progress and with nearly a year till the next one is out, I feel like you have a lot of time to chip at this in time for something simmable by the next release. Good luck!
    You will help and you will like it, young man!

....if you want to.

Even if you aren't watching a ton going forward, the amount of wrestling knowledge you have will be super helpful. You watch a lot of stuff that I don't. I got to know a lot more about indy stars that I probably wouldn't have without your input on 2K1.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I can help with info as best as I can.
    Thanks, Ed.

And honestly, you already have. The Best Workers of the 2010s project has given me a lot of information and ideas to work with. Some I was already more than aware of - Tomohiro Ishii and Daisuke Sekimoto, etc. But a few I was at least LESS aware of and they will end up being better in the mod for the hype. HARASHIMA, Rush, Hechicero, and others.

But I will take any help I can get as a whole.

So added a bunch more wrestlers yesterday, so up over 70. Added a few more lady wrestlers - Kairii Hoho and the Shirai sisters. Well, Mio isn't completed yet but she's in there.

Thinking what I might do is occasionally post a top 25 of workers in the mod, based on how the game ranks them. I don't want to go crazy and tweak heavily just because Wrestler A is higher than he should be, or lower. But it provides a nice guide. I started up a save last night and when looking over the rankings, Ishii looked low. But I didn't tweak him immediately, because how he ranks and he performs are different thing. But I did nerf Triple H a bit.

I might also post specific questions I have and want opinion on. Because when it comes to worker skills and popularity.... its all pretty subjective.

One thing I noticed last night when looking for joshi workers to import - neither the Cverse nor Tverse have the strongest scenes. Tverse is outright lacking - searching Very Good In-Ring Workers for Japanese females brings up 1 worker. Doing the same in the Cverse brings up more, but almost half of them are retired. Which is fine - I can use a retired wrestler as a base if they still have the in-ring skills. I might end up re-using some workers (no one would catch this, I expect) or import from other RW mods. Its going to be a hybrid mod anyway.

As I mentioned, I very much will be going back to the RWC 2013 mod to import most of the non-wrestlers. Importing and adjusting announcers and refs seems really really unnecessary and does nothing for the basic reason to be using this approach in the first place. Its tempting to do a bunch of them, just to fill the mod out a bit, but not yet. Maybe once I hit 200 wrestlers. I imagine doing an import of refs, owners, and announcers could easily add 200-300 more workers. it would still take time to go through them as I want to be thorough.

I've been trying to complete wrestlers when importing them. At first, I was leaving the bio and contracts. But now I'm trying to do that stuff as well. So I import the worker, and then I start by adjusting the basic details (name, DoB and debut date, nationality, body type, wrestler type, picture, etc). I add in their individual finishers and ensure the default gimmicks make sense. I then add in Employment history so that's done. Then I go through the relevant sections to adjust - Physical (their wear and tear), Performance (how they do with gimmicks of certain types), Personality, Lifestyle, Popularity, and then Skills. Both of those last two are subjective and tend to take the most work, but also the most likely to need to be tweaked going forward. How much adjustment the Skills require varies - some are almost dead on already, and some are way off. Then I create any Alter Egos (I don't go crazy on this), add in their biography and then create any contracts they have. Finally, I add agers (so their pic changes automatically), tag teams, relationships, etc. Trying to have a bit of fun with the bios. Some of the earliest additions, I didn't want to both with the bios, so I didn't do the alter egos or contracts. I've been picking away at those. Not a lot of them so it shouldn't be too bad.

The focus thus far has been on top level workers. The Top 25 of the Top 500 workers in the game is probably reasonably accurate to who it will contain as a whole, as that's where my focus has been. There are still some pretty good workers to be added, but more veteran ones who may have top level Psychology but will be a bit more limited in other ways. I have added a couple of workers who are mid-level types to the British scene, but I kinda wanna fill out more of this, so I'll try to grab random workers from random indy promotions to add in. The likes of Andy Simmonz, Josh Bodom, Robert Dreissker, Trent Berretta, or Nick Aldis. Not workers that suck, but also not top class ones. Mediocre types. Which truthfully form the backbone of the mod since there are way more of them as a whole than the top level workers.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Over 80 workers now. Closing in on 100, which feels nice. Added a bit of a variety pack last night. HARASHIMA. Shuji Ishikawa. Rey Mysterio. Karsten Beck (my random indy guy pick). Dragon Lee I and Dragon Lee II. Added in Hechicero and Rush, but didn't have time to edit them properly. I also filled in a couple of bios that I had skipped, which then allows me to add in their contracts. Trying to have a bit of fun with the bios but I probably need to be spell checking them in a Word document, because I'm sure there are endless errors.

Debated whether Dragon Lee I should go in as DLI or Mistico II. For anyone who doesn't know the sequence.... So Mistico was one of the biggest stars in Mexico. In 2011, he signed with the WWE, where he worked as Sin Car. He was a monster flop. CMLL gave the Mistico mask and gimmick to Dragon Lee. Sin Cara lasted until early 2014. He went back to Mexico but couldn't wrestler as Mistico or Sin Cara, so he wrestled as Myzteziz and in 2015, Carístico. He is back with CMLL. He couldn't get the Mistico mask back, because Dragon Lee was wearing it. And Dragon Lee couldn't go back to Dragon Lee, because his younger brother debuted in 2014 and is using the Dragon Lee gimmick. Also, WWE owns the Sin Cara mask and gimmick, and has someone else under that mask now. Its a pain in the ass on who should be named what, but I just went with their original names and am using alter egos. I'm pretty sure CMLL doesn't identify the current Mistico as Mistico II, but fans understand he's not the original.

Dragon Lee II is a yet-to-debut worker. And he honestly might be the best future worker I've put into a mod. I worried that he was too buffed, and he might be, but the guy did win Rookie of the Year honors and has been among the best high fliers in the world for a couple of years now. I did drop his Flashiness from 100 at least.

Speaking of overpowered... I made HARASHIMA a damned good wrestler. Or I picked a damned good wrestler as his base and didn't nerf him down too much. I've seen a bit of him, but this is based on how others speak about him more than anything. It seems like DDT have moved into the #2 spot in Japan in a lot of ways, and he has been a reason why.

Small note - I also added the current top 25 workers to the first post here. I'll update it every so often.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

HARASHIMA is great so you haven't overpowered him

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

2013 Dolph Z should be pretty high right? How are the ladies for the mod coming?

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    HARASHIMA is great so you haven't overpowered him
    Good to know, good sir. I always have some hesitation when it comes to workers who I haven't watched much, or not watched with a critical eye. Its not really a big deal when you making them a mediocre worker who doesn't stand out in any way. But making them a standout guy capable of being a star with a big company feels like... a bigger commitment .

Looking forward to adding in the two biggest stars of the mod, Danshoku Dino and Giant Panda.

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    2013 Dolph Z should be pretty high right? How are the ladies for the mod coming?
    Dolph - Nick Nemth in the mod, actually - was just outside the top 25. I expect he will drop a bit as more top level workers get added in.

Ziggles is a bit of a tough one. This period was probably peak Ziggler. Pretty sure he was world champion right around here. But there is also a danger to skilling someone to their peak, especially when that wasn't really a maintained peak. He's probably a bit underrated right now in two key aspects - Psychology and Popularity. He's not terrible in either regard, but he's around C in both. Which is fine for a WWE mid-card or upper mid but low for a world champion. But he wasn't really a great champion in 2013 for that reason, so.... it makes sense. He's a guy I'm going to have to watch in testing to see how he produces grades. He could get buffed down the road. He is also reasonably young, with high Star Quality and Athletiicsm, meaning he is highly likely to improve over time.

The ladies are.... coming along slowly. I have Meiko Satomura as the top female right now. Once some joshi vets go in, that could change, but I don't know that they will be better overall workers than her. The NA scene for women won't be as impressive as the joshi world. The top woman in WWE at this point was AJ Lee - good but not a true top level worker. The core of the Women's Revolution are development or indy talent still - good but not yet amazing. With Potential and a bit of time, they should develop into amazing workers but I don't want them to be too overpowered too quickly.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Relentless Admin

Status

Top 25 Workers in Game
    1. Hiroshi Tanahashi
    2. Bryan Danielson
    3. Kazuchika Okada
    4. CM Punk
    5. Shinsuke Nakamura
    6. AJ Styles
    7. Kota Ibushi
    8. Chris Jericho
    9. Kurt Angle
    10. Fergal Devitt
    11. John Cena
    12. The Undertaker
    13. Kenny Omega
    14. Rey Mysterio
    15. KENTA
    16. Tetsuya Naito
    17. El Generico
    17. Triple H
    18. HARASHImA
    19. El Generico
    20. Brock Lesnar
    21. Randy Orton
    22. Claudio Castagnoli
    23. Robert Roode
    24. Hirooki Goto
    25. Meiko Satomura
    Does popularity and positioning in a certain promotion contribute to this? because Angle as a top 10 worker in 2013 doesn't sound right at all, but I guess I can see where that comes from if he's down as one of the most famous wrestlers in TNA which at this point was still #2.

Status

So the situation Dolph Ziggler had in 2013 kinda fits in with one of the things I've been mulling. I figured I'd post about a couple of them, because why not?

Things I’m Debating

WWE Popularity

One of the things that makes any mod feel unstable is frequent changes in company size. And honestly, seeing the WWE drop from National to Cult always feels unlikely, especially if its right after the start. But there is a difference between WWE in the real world and WWE in the TEW world…. And it’s a challenging company to balance.

Is WWE National or International? My instinct is always National, because it plays better. Yes, WWE had some pretty high popularity around the globe and can draw good attendances when they visit outside regions (for this purpose, I’m basically lumping Canada in with the US rather than consider them as "abroad"). But part of that is down to the novelty of them visiting occasionally, and I doubt that they would draw the same way if they were there every week. But making the US international by having national-level popularity in multiple regions basically means they can do that. They can hold a month of shows in the UK or Germany and would draw the same as if they held them in the US. That’s a nope from me. Plus being at National (with some good global popularity) gives the WWE room to grow.

The harder part about the WWE is keeping them stable. The fundamental problem is the WWE roster size and the way that pushes are assigned. The game uses ratios to assign pushes based on overall roster size. So a reasonably sized roster with 50 workers might have 10 workers pushing to Main Eventer level, while doubling the roster to 100 workers could mean 20 push to that level. Simply put, the bigger the roster, the more workers that will auto-push to main event level. The WWE not having enough active talent with top-level popularity is a real world problem for the WWE and that problem translates into TEW as well. The WWE always has a big roster, so you always end up with a lot of workers who are considered main eventers. The more that are included, the more problematic it gets, because the larger range of popularity ends up falling into "main event" status. And then the AI just looks at their push, not the actual popularity. So you end up with workers who have C+ or even C popularity who the AI looks at as ME because that’s what the overall roster size puts their push at. And therein you have significant potential issues. If they AI decides to headline a feud between John Cena and Randy Orton, the grades will be fine. But if it picks Sheamus and Big Show instead… problematic.

Its basically the TEW version of what the WWE actually does - grab someone who's mostly be in the midcard, put them in the world title picture with no build up, and sometimes even have them win, then they cycle back down to midcard. That doesn't really work that well in TEW. The lack of popularity means the grades will suffer and if the match and angle grades suffer, the show grades suffer, and you have the AI putting on shows that consistently lose popularity, eventually causing the WWE to drop in size down to Cult. Partly a result of game mechanics and partly a result of how the WWE actually function in the real world.

There is no way to avoid this entirely. You can mitigate its impact by doing some funky things. One is giving the company high popularity in the US (B+ range instead of B- to B), which means attendances are high. It also makes growth impossible because the AI can’t book shows consistently strong enough, and is more likely to consistently lose popularity. It slows down the popularity loss process rather than avoids it. Second way is worker popularity – scaling that high instead of realistically. Then you have the WWE able to get constant A grades for matches and shows. That prevents popularity loss and size drop, but it feels very unrealistic. Every Raw and SmackDown popping out an A main event is just a hard no from me. Consider that an A grade match would be translate to somewhere in the 4 to 4.5 stars on the common star scale. The WWE should be capable of those kind of grades, but not doing them constantly.

So it probably ends up being something that if it happens because the AI doesn’t pick the right workers to push…. it happens. Once I am able to test things, I will toy with things a bit but I'm not going to pour hours into ensuring the WWE doesn't self-harm itself into a size drop.

Buffed Workers

Avoiding workers being over-powered is pretty key. Simply put, overpowered workers results in wonky grades. Like in the partially-finished RWC 2013, some of the test soaks I ran would have John Cena winning Wrestler of the Year, year after year. Just a machine at churning out A grade matches. That’s not really realistic to Cena and his skillset. That was down to him being overpowered and too popular, to be fair, but it definitely made things look odd.

That said, there are a few workers who are almost certainly going to be a bit better than they were at the time. Notably, workers who “broke out” in the next couple of years. I will have them a bit overpowered to ensure they get to the point where they actually have reached. Setting potential will help in some regard, but if the individual isn’t good enough to get regular work, that potential is less likely to be reached.

This includes the likes of Will Osprey, Kento Miyahara, Jay White, WALTER, and probably a few others on the Brit Wres scene. As I mentioned, Dragon Lee II is definitely outstanding when he debuts in 2014, but he was already a good wrestler at that point, so he's probably overpowered by not necessarily b a ton.

Dragon Gate USA

Dragon Gate USA isn’t in the data currently. It wasn’t in the RWC 2013 mod but there were a lot of indy promotions missing. I haven’t created it or imported because I’m not sure whether to include it.

DGUSA closed in 2015, but only ran events to April of 2014. Which means that from the start date of the mod, there were 8 more DGUSA events.

One problem is both them and EVOLVE having Gabe Sapolsky as the owner. That can’t happen in TEW.

The second is sharing a huge amount of talent with EVOLVE.

The third is trying to replicate the loan-system DGUSA had with Dragon Gate talent.

One the very first 2013 mod editing I attempted, way back on TEW 2013, having some of the Dragon Gate talent on the DGUSA roster made them active in the US and they were pretty awesome and they would just kill it, and would go to other indy promotions and it just made a wonky mess because of a major talent infusion. They were a bit overpowered, but the game at that point just didn’t replicate the loan aspect. If the loan/trade system on 2020 is revamped enough, it might make this more workable.

But I would still be tempted to have narratives to kill off DGUSA and if its just going to get murdered a year in, what’s the point on having it in there? Its not filling a gap in the market at all, since it overlaps almost entirely with EVOLVE.

I am open to arguments about the merits of including DGUSA if anyone feels passionately about it.

Fight Club PRO, ATTACK!, and the BritWres Scene

I say I'm a fan of the BritWres scene over the past 6 years but that's a bit facetious. I'm a fan of Progress, having been introduced to them in about 2017 and watching through the whole set of Chapters up to about 2018. I love a lot of the talent, both those in Progress and outside of it. I have liked what I've seen over other promotions - the likes of ICW, OTT, Rev Pro, Fight Club PRO, etc. I just haven't watched enough of them to be a TRUE fan of the whole scene.

That said, I am eager to have the BritWres scene emulate reasonably well in the mod. Having the workers be well skilled will help and may be enough to ensure it thrives. But I also want to have a good number of promotions. In some cases, having a huge number of promotions in one area is unnecessary, especially when they are all the same size. There ends up being a lot of overlap (see EVOLVE and DGUSA) where they have the same talent. Similar rosters, similar size, same region.... They just end up competing with each other and nullifying each other's growth. This is where absolutely emuatling reality and consider game-play can clash. You might want to include 10 Tri State area promotions that are all the same size, but there ends up being such overlap that its just clutter.

With the BritWres scene, I want to try to find a balance. There is enough talent that it shouldn't be the same workers in every single promotion, at least not until at least a few of the workers become massive standouts. There isn't direct overlap in terms of regions and product. So I'm hoping that by having more companies than absolutely necessary in the data, it will give more talent more places to work and help the scene grow, rather than ending up with complete talent overlaps and lack of growth due to the companies battling each other.

Right now, Fight Club Pro is in the data. ATTACK isn't.

My concern with FCP is mostly down to Trent Seven as the owner. As the owner, he won't leave the company. Which means signing him on an exclusive deal with the WWE like actually has happened cannot happen. Its a small company and they did employ some talent in at the start of the mod that wasn't necessarily working. The 2020 contract changes could allow for something different with Seven, or I could just have his partner as the owner.

ATTACK isn't in the data because it wasn't in the 2013 data. Its one I have mulled adding an probably will. I'm really only hesitating because I don't TOO many companies on the BritWres scene. That said, there will be a handful of companies that didn't last too long that I won't be looking to add. Great Bear, What Culture, etc.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Double-posty goodness

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Does popularity and positioning in a certain promotion contribute to this? because Angle as a top 10 worker in 2013 doesn't sound right at all, but I guess I can see where that comes from if he's down as one of the most famous wrestlers in TNA which at this point was still #2.
    I agree on Angle.

So the "Power 500" is where the top 25 list came from. When you start a new save, it bases the rankings purely on skill. I don't know how exactly it sorts the skills and I don't THINK it takes popularity into account all that much. When you are in a save and end a calendar year, it generates the previous years Power 500 based on a combination of skill and results.

Some of the rankings are a bit wonky. I've already whined that I dislike that Tomohiro Ishii isn't in there. I'm quite confident he's been skilled in such a way that he should be a B match machine in a puro product, and more than capable of A matches with great opponents.

With Angle, I skilled him in a way that emulates how workers evolve (or devolve) in-game as they age. When a worker starts to decline, they start to lose Physical abilities - Stamina, Power, Resilience. Their Performance skills, which are some of the most important in-ring aspects and have a huge impact on match grades, are partially impacted. Basics, Psychology, and Safety go down very slowly, while Consistency and Selling go down much more quickly. The "top row" skills are things like Brawling, Mat Work, Submissions, Flying.... they are the specific aspects or styles of wrestling. They tend to deteriorate relatively quickly too. So an older worker who is very far declined with have almost nothing on the top row, and really only has Basics, Psychology, and Safety. That's your "dad" type veteran who comes into a multi-tag to do some offence and never takes a bump. Angle was skilled like that, but not to an extreme. His top rows are still pretty good, with the idea that they have declined from a peak where he might have been A in several of them.

So Angle is in decline. He also has Physical wear set to the point where it will significantly hamper every match. Even with pretty good popularity, I expect he will probably peak at being able to have about a B match (against a top opponent), average a C match, and not really be capable of carrying a mediocre opponent to a good match anymore.

I'll have to wait to test to see if he grades the way I expect. He will be tweaked if needed. I could also set him as an Occasional Wrestler - that might take him out of the Power 500 list entirely.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Intercontinental Champion

Status

Just seen this, very excited!

If you need help with the BritWres scene, in 2013 I was pretty much a regular at RevPro shows (having lived near Sittingbourne until 2014 before moving to Manchester) so I might be able to help out there? If I remember correctly, 2013 was the beginnings of the NJPW relationship and also very close to the infancies of Ospreay (who was in the Swords of Essex at the time) and a fantastic cruiserweight scene with Devitt over from Japan.

I'm back from Thialand next week so would be willing to let you know any information you need for the company? Well anything I can remember and research through my stream subscription?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by DarkestEarth View Post
    Just seen this, very excited!

If you need help with the BritWres scene, in 2013 I was pretty much a regular at RevPro shows (having lived near Sittingbourne until 2014 before moving to Manchester) so I might be able to help out there? If I remember correctly, 2013 was the beginnings of the NJPW relationship and also very close to the infancies of Ospreay (who was in the Swords of Essex at the time) and a fantastic cruiserweight scene with Devitt over from Japan.

I'm back from Thialand next week so would be willing to let you know any information you need for the company? Well anything I can remember and research through my stream subscription?
    Awesome to hear.... but don't get TOO hyped. This is a long way away yet.

I'm pretty jealous of you UKers who have the chance to see some of these shows. This region hasn't had a hot scene since the mid 1980s, when I could go to a local show and see Benoit, Pillman, and Owen working matches.

Good memory - this mod starts the same month the Swords of Essex won the tag titles. I've actually been seeking a good worker to be a basis for Paul Robinson. And you made me double to check to make sure I had an Rev Pro contract for Devitt.... which I did not.

I'm honestly not sure what help to ask for. Part of the intent of doing it by "slotting" is to avoid having to watch a shit-ton of matches to assess each worker and their skillset. Some viewing is necessary, just to get a feel for certain workers I haven't seen much of. Suggestions for workers who you think are often underappreciated and therefore might be underrated are always welcome, but that's kidna tough without any context. The data is a long long way from needing help with testing and such.

And as for Ed's earlier question on Kurt Angle... I checked and it looks like I didn't nerf his Consistency and Selling quite as much as I thought I had. So his overall Performance skills are still quite strong, which combined with the top row skills still being decent, results him having a high ranking. I still think he will get mediocre match grades so I might wait to test before I drop things, but he absolutely won't produce match grades like peak Angle, no matter he ranks.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Not really worth an update, but... whatever.

Spend today taking care of the GF after some dental surgery, and will be the same for the next couple of days. Have my laptop here. But having added any more wrestlers. Instead, the time I had was used to reorganize my data tracking spreadsheet and I've been trolling thru the CV and TV to find workers to match up. Have a list of about 40-50 right now. That's without any real focused looking for specific targets to find specific Real World workers.

There may be more top level workers still to add than I figured. Off the top of my head, I still need to add PAC, Shingo Tagaki, Johnny Gargano, austin Aries, Bobby Fish, Ricochet, Drew Gulak, Jack Gallagher, Minoru Suzuki, Mistico (original), Akira Tozawa, Tommy End, Volador Jr, The Miz, and a load of top luchadores. Those are almost all going to end up being top 100 workers when the mod is filled out so yeah, pretty top end workers.

Speaking of luchadores, that's an area where my knowledge is definitely on the lower side. Going to seek out some specific opinions from specific individuals when I get close to adding more of the Mexican scene. But if anyone has the urge to throw out their top 10 or 20 lucha workers from the 2013ish period in terms of in-ring.... It wouldn't go unused lol. I already have both Dragon Lee's, Hechicero, Rush, Cavenario, Pentagon Jr, LA Park, and Fenix in there. But loads of other top luchadores left to add, obviously.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Another needless update. But I'm on a long conference at work so... reason enough.

Still sitting on the same amount of workers - 85. But I have somewhere around 50-60 picked out to import. And will probably manage to find a lot more before I start importing and editing again. What I was doing initially was looking through the Cverse and Tverse to find specific workers. I might have a handful I was looking for at one time. When searching, I would use different ways to search thru the mods in the game - different search parameters. When I changed around my tracking spreadsheet, I moved from having one area of tracking both workers already added and edited in the same space as those I had picked out but not added yet. That's now separated, so I can have a huge list of workers who I can find someone to match.

So I've been searching fairly generally and just gradually scrolling thru the workers who come up. So using search parameters like "Male, Active Worker, and At Least Good In Ring Workers" brings up a ton of talent. Everything from mediocre workers (outside the Power 500) to top level workers. as I go through those, I'm noting down ones that I think do or could match up to a real world worker, or noting them down on another list if they are one I'm likely to use later but don't have a match for yet. I will do the same soon for female workers on both mods, so I could end up with 200 or more workers picked out to start importing and amending.

One small thing to note - I'm not just going by "where the person fits in the wrestling world" and my perception of them. I am doing a bit of research for those who I'm less familiar with. As I've mentioned, I'm keep to avoid doing a ton of match-watching, but will if necessary. Moreso, its digging through some other RW mods to see how they have them setup. Just to get a handle on the worker structure for certain workers. Like I might know someone is a cruiserweight-style high flier. But are they are top level or a just good one? Are they still pretty strong in technical and/or brawling terms? Having a clearer idea of those aspects makes it easier to pick a more direct matches to the Cverse/Tverse worker, even though I could just edit them in the importing / editing process if needed.

Another small thing... the Tverse has quite a few worker types that I think of as "Sports Entertainer Specials". There are quite a few in the Cverse too. Basically, these are good to pretty good (and in some cases, very good) workers who have pretty good overall Performance skills, but their top row skills look very limited. They tend to have brawling and maybe Flashiness of a mediocre level (somewhere in the C- to C+ range) and that's about it. Everything else is fairly low. On first glance, they seem like a worker of limited value, but realistically, they can do very well in a Sports Entertainment company. If they have good or better Entertainment skills and/or Star Quality / Sex Appeal / Menace, they can actually be very very valuable in SE. Possible stars, in many cases. The more performance-based that a company is, the more important it is that the top row skills are pretty good. There are quite a few WWE-contracted workers and/or ex-WWEers who generally fit under this model - from John Cena and Randy Orton to Sheamus, Cody Rhodes, Baron Corbin, The Rock, Bray Wyatt, and most of the Diva-generation female wrestlers. That's a pretty wide spread of overall skills, Star Quality, etc. But they all have a basic format. This is at least partly because of the "WWE style" of wrestling, which is based around basic storytelling and brawling, without a significant amount of technical wrestling involved. The same is fairly true of TNA thru much of its history. But as many of these wrestler types as WWE has (or had), it can be hard to pick who to assign them to. Because if the Performance skills and Brawling aren't to a fairly high level, it can make the worker look pretty mediocre. But as I've mentioned a few times, its about how they grade out.

Another small factor - I'm trying to be aware of the TEW 2020 changes and what made need to be fixed on conversion. Two big things are that Technical skills will no longer be separated out into the 3 but just 1 overall skills. So while I'm not setting them all to a single level (which I probably should), I'm aware that the conversion process will likely take an average of the three separate numbers for that worker in the 2016 data. The other thing is gimmicks - with the gimmick system changing, its hard to know how this is going to work on conversion, so I'm not worrying too much on gimmicks. Hope I wouldn't have to go through every single contracted worker and change things around, but I'll worry about that once we can see TEW 2020.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Random Opinions Help Request #1 - Luchadors

Figure it can't hurt to ask for some opinions. May also make a stand-alone thread elsewhere on the forum where its more likely to be seen. I've been mulling the best way to ask / phrase this so that I'm not being overly open nor too specific in the request. But basically, there are some areas of the wrestling world where I don't know that much about so having some additional opinions is rather helpful. And we are going to start with Mexico.

Who are your top 10-20 in-ring talents in Mexico in the 2013 and on period?

I've seen a fair amount of most of those who have succeeded more widely. Pentagon Jr, Mistico, Dragon Lee I & II, Bandido. Flamita, Fenix, Rush, Hechicero, Cavenario... can still include them, but I know them already and most are in the data. I have seen a decent amount of. I've watched some Lucha Underground (and will watch more), but see very little of CMLL or AAA, let alone DTU and the like. Doesn't have to be an ordered list. Doesn't require an any explanation, although blurbs about how / why they are good certainly helps and is appreciated.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

@MyRecycledBalls

Status
      Country                    Norway

Not really too helpful in my opinions but definitely would be down to test the mod whenever you get far enough into beta testing.

Will you be adding deceased wrestlers and companies into the database for historical purposes and will you be editing the hall of fames to see this? Will the Hall of Immortals act as the PWN HoF? So many questions regarding the database haha.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Not really too helpful in my opinions but definitely would be down to test the mod whenever you get far enough into beta testing.

Will you be adding deceased wrestlers and companies into the database for historical purposes and will you be editing the hall of fames to see this? Will the Hall of Immortals act as the PWN HoF? So many questions regarding the database haha.
    If you have more questions, ask. I won't have an answer for everything, because not everything has been decided or figured out. But I have an... intended direction with a lot of it, at least.

There will be dead companies, but only some. WCW, ECW, FCW are in for sure right now. That's mostly for titles and work history. I am considering putting AJW in there. But too many smaller indy companies just ends up cluttering the data. So I doubt I will put FWA or JWA or UWF in there. And yeah, those that are in there will likely get proper title histories, proper Hall of Fame, and as much Employment History as I can manage.

Hall of Immortals probably won't emulate any existing HoF exactly. It will probably be based on similar criteria to what the game uses, as that then simulates best moving forward.

There will definitely be some deceased and retired workers in. But not EVERYONE. I'm not going to put someone in the data purely so they can be seen in a smaller companies Hall of Fame, especially if its a dead company. That ends up making more data which slows gameplay.

I know some mod-makers want to have everyone possible in there. I can respect that, but its not my preference. Low level indy guys can be horribly challenging to find data for, especially if they haven't worked for anyone of note. And while having a strong indy scene is nice because you will have options in every region to hire locals to job, I really don't need 400 low level indy workers in a given region to hire. Especially as they will be completely generic low-level workers just punched into the data on a basic template.

Similarly, some mod makers want all the history in the mod possible. Someone who had a short run in WCW or ECW but has done nothing since? They want them in. Someone who, a decade ago, spent 2 years in WWE developmental but hasn't been in the business since? They want em in. Your late 1980s WWE jobbers who show up at the conventions? Oh hell yeah, they want them. Not a wrong approach and I get it - it appeases people. We all have our favorites and its nice to see them in the data. But if they don't serve any purpose - they dont' still work at all, don't have use as a backstage role of some sort, not a HoFer.... then probably not going to be included.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So back to adding workers. Up to 96 workers as of late night. Closing in on 100, which is nice. Even better - that time I spent trolling thru the two mods resulted in a list of about 300 workers who have been matched up and are waited to be imported and edited. And probably another 50 who will join them if/when I spend some more time digging.

Of the workers I've added, the most notable in terms of top level talent are Cima, Christian, and Shingo Tagaki. I fired up a save to test their sitting in the game world. Cima is top 10 in the Power 500, which might be a bit high. But he's a top level super junior in his prime, so.... maybe not. Christian was top 15, which is definitely high. His physical condition means he won't put on matches to that level but I am going to nerf a few things just so he sits a bit lower. Shingo is top 35, which seems not too bad.

I posted the lucha question in a stand alone thread in the Independent Wrestling section and it got quite a few responses. Compared to zero here. But I got some great info which should really help when balancing things on the Mexican scene.

Also been picking away at adding biographies to workers who were added without one. Down to like 3 or 4. I did that to save time when I first started importing and editing, but realized that going back and adding hundreds of bios later would be an atrocious pain in the ass, and probably wouldn't happen.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information