Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4989979899
Results 1,961 to 1,976 of 1976

Thread: Managerial Comings & Goings

I’m Not Booked!

Status

Re: Managerial Comings & Goings

According to decent sources, Rafa was offered (and accepted) 50-60m plus decent chunk of incomings. The issue was Ashley wouldn’t budge on his 26-and-under transfer rule (meaning Rondon was a no go) and Rafa wanted guarantees on investment in the training ground and youth set up in the not too distant future. So, basically, flexibility on types of player he could bring in, and a sign of intent for helping the club grow. Also rumours he was going to get players brought in for him that he didn’t want. Nothing unreasonable for a manager of his stature, then.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    According to decent sources, Rafa was offered (and accepted) 50-60m plus decent chunk of incomings. The issue was Ashley wouldn’t budge on his 26-and-under transfer rule (meaning Rondon was a no go) and Rafa wanted guarantees on investment in the training ground and youth set up in the not too distant future. So, basically, flexibility on types of player he could bring in, and a sign of intent for helping the club grow. Also rumours he was going to get players brought in for him that he didn’t want. Nothing unreasonable for a manager of his stature, then.
    I wouldn't consider those unreasonable demands at all. Especially considering that every Prem club is moving up the list of richest clubs based just on the TV deals, so its not like Ashley would be committing to spending a bunch of money on infrastructure that he would have "raise" somehow.

Really disappointed for you lot and what this will end up costing the club.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

I don't buy Mourinho being favourite unless a takeover happens either.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I don't buy Mourinho being favourite unless a takeover happens either.
    Very much agree. Mourinho is a money manager. He buys. he doesn't develop. Part of why it fell apart at United was that he got pissy over not getting to spend $75 million on players to replace the $40m players he bought but who weren't good enough.

It also seems unlikely that there are any sort of assurances of the takeover happening soon, or that may have played in Rafa's decision.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Very much agree. Mourinho is a money manager. He buys. he doesn't develop. Part of why it fell apart at United was that he got pissy over not getting to spend $75 million on players to replace the $40m players he bought but who weren't good enough.

It also seems unlikely that there are any sort of assurances of the takeover happening soon, or that may have played in Rafa's decision.
    Agreed. Our of the other "favourites" at the moment, I don't see Arteta going to Newcastle for his first job, and they wouldn't accept Moyes after he was at Sunderland. Guess that really leaves the two others that have been mentioned in Monk and Grant then. Hughton is at 16/1 which could be an interesting one, I wonder if he'd go back.

I’m Not Booked!

Status

Gattuso and Dyche are the other names being mentioned, although I doubt they’ll pay the compensation to get anyone out of their contract which would make the latter moot. Half expecting ol’ Redders or Tactics Tim to turn up just to troll the fans. And Roy Keane is looking for a club, apparently. Or what about Pards?

I doubt it’ll be much of a reassurance to anyone in the North East, but there will be very few people not to breathe a sigh of relief when this clown finally sells. No-one wants to see a club like Newcastle treated like this.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Dyche could be an option but I think the football style would end up becoming a problem- mind you, Rafa isn't exactly Tiki Taka Haha!

Yeah no chance Jose is going anywhere without millions to spend.

Mind you, I think it speaks volumes of where Mourinho's reputation is at the moment when even the Italian clubs wouldn't take him. I thought for certain he would go back to Inter Milan or be a credible option for Juventus and nothing.

Status

Agreed. Our of the other "favourites" at the moment, I don't see Arteta going to Newcastle for his first job, and they wouldn't accept Moyes after he was at Sunderland. Guess that really leaves the two others that have been mentioned in Monk and Grant then. Hughton is at 16/1 which could be an interesting one, I wonder if he'd go back.
    Arteta would be a slick hire, but its not just the compensation that would cause a problem. I can't see him being that intrigued by the Newcastle job as it stands. Hell, that could even be the case with Dyche, if Burnley are willing to commit to giving him money and authority in spending that money.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

I want to see Harry Redknapp back in the game, give him the Newcastle job! Could be a good fit.

Plus he loves to wheel and deal.

First signings- Defoe, Niko Kranjcar & Crouchy

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Deco90 View Post
    I want to see Harry Redknapp back in the game, give him the Newcastle job! Could be a good fit.

Plus he loves to wheel and deal.

First signings- Defoe, Niko Kranjcar & Crouchy
    I, for one, would enjoy this.

Perhaps Tony Pulis might be available....
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

I’m Not Booked!

Status

Latest out of St James' Park is that apparently Rafa emailed Ashley to essentially say "I don't see how this is going to work", so Ashley, without telling Rafa he was going to do it, released the statement that he was leaving. Rafa found out through the press release. That guy just keeps getting classier.

Apparently there is no truth in the Avram Grant rumour (it's a measure of the club that people thought it might be true!), and Claudio Ranieri and Gio van Bronckhorst have both put their names in to the hat. Could see the latter, actually. Unemployed, looking for a new challenge, could be sold on a project, perhaps removed enough to not see it for the poisoned chalice it is.

Heel Champion

Status

Ranieri could be a shorter term solution that could stabilise the club for a season, so they could do a lot worse there.

I’m Not Booked!

Status

Ranieri could be a shorter term solution that could stabilise the club for a season, so they could do a lot worse there.
    He wouldn't kick up a fuss with the board and hence would let them continue to run the club in to the ground, and yet has enough charm, class and dignity that he's one of the only people the fans probably wouldn't reject outright simply for not being Rafa. In fact, it makes so much sense from so many directions that I'm off to put a bet on it being Joe Kinnear again.

Status

Ranieri would actually be a decent appointment. Not great and I wouldn't expect him to manage to do what Rafa did, but better than a lot of the names mentioned.

Gio.... I'm not sold on. The Dutch podcasts I listen to don't seem to hold him in particularly high regard, despite the title at Feyenoord. Think he's a solid manager rather than an outstanding one, which doesn't mean he would be a poor hire, just that he would come with quite a few unknowns.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Keep dreaming

Status
      Country                    UK

I would welcome Ranieri. Whilst he wouldn’t be the one to try and enforce any changes above him and just go along with the program, he would respect the fans and what we want and do his best to build a solid team. He knows the league and would command the respect of the players.

The Planet's Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Claudios just a stop gap though, it's short term thinking where I don't think anyone would expect him to still be in charge by the following season. He was fairly wank at Fulham. That's what would worry me as a Newcastle fan if they went in that direction.

Cannot believe how Frank is getting the chance to manage Chelsea after having an ok year at Derby where ultimately they finished the same as they did before he came in.

Thread Information