Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Reviews PWG (1.21 Gigawatts)

Sweet Meat

Status

Re: Jim Reviews PWG

Good review.

It sounds like a really solid show, though it seems to suffer from the PWG effect of going too long. That said, I don't mind that as much as others tend to.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Styles and Romero also had a pretty good match at Reason For The Season. I still don't buy your theory that Styles doesn't work hard outside of TNA, though. I rarely found him to be a letdown in the indys.
    It could just be all in my head, but it's just something I always felt since I saw AJ in ROH for the first time.

I'm trying to download cd 1 of Reason for the Season (I had cd 2 already downloaded). If it's able to download, I'll check out their first match.

Also, Ronin sucks.
    I've only seen limited amount of Ronin, but so far he hasn't been too horrible. It's possible that I enjoyed him at From Parts of Well Known due to my love of the Havana Pitbulls (Yet, I hate Reyes as a singles wrestler) and Koslov. He's definately not some of the worst wrestlers I've seen in PWG.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

Your rating on Generico/Pac hurts my crotch. That was one of those matches that just caught my ass by surprise and I loved it. That Brainbuster into a hurcanranna was amazing.

I'm curious on your thoughts on Dragon & B-boy vs. NRC. Considering you saw it.

edit: No Steve is right. Ronin does fucking suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

Quote Originally Posted by Capone View Post
    I'm curious on your thoughts on Dragon & B-boy vs. NRC. Considering you saw it.
    I actually was looking through the PWG section and found your link for it about 10 minutes ago. I'll probably watch it sometime tonight.

*Edit* If it helps at all, I gave PAC/Generico 3 1/2 Stars when I was reviewing PWG Sells Out Vol. 1.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

That's fair. You should really watch the ASW 5 Night One show. One of my favorite PWG dvds with a great thing of matches(Davey/Ki, Roderick/Romero(Best match in Rocky's career), Generico/Pac II, Kaz/Shelley, Matt Classic/Kikutaro, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting). Really awesome dvd if you ask me.
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

Sweet Meat

Status

That actually sounds awesome. I may check it out myself <.<.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

WAKE UP

Status

Kiku vs Classic was pretty fun.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

I'd give it ***** stars imo. Does't go overboard and was funny as the shit(Kids say that right?). It makes me love the DVD even more.

All Star Weekend V - Night One
    April 7, 2007

NOSAWA vs Disco Machine
    After somewhat liking NOSAWA in his brief time in TNA, I've been wanting to see more matches with him, preferably longer ones than he was given in TNA. However, taking on Disco Machine, NOSAWA can only look so good. On the plus side, Disco is on defense for most of the match, so he's not able to drag down the match too much. NOSAWA taunts Disco several times with the Rick Rude hip swivel and low blows him three times. All that doesn't matter as Disco surprises NOSAWA with a choke slam into a back breaker for the win. Disco got in maybe 5 moves, yet he's able to win. Lame. NOSAWA was able to make this watchable though. It's a decent way to start the show though. 2 Stars.

Roderick Strong vs Rocky Romero
    If I could describe Roddy in this match, it would be "A sadistic genius bastard." He absolutely murders Romero in a combination of brutal throws and creative holds involving the ropes. I don't think I've ever seen someone use the ring ropes to his advantage as much as Roddy did here. He somehow had the ropes keep Romero in a Sharpshooter like move with Rocky unable to free himself. Once Romero does fight back, there's a ton of stiff shots. If there's one negative to the match, it's that the quality dropped some in the second half. It was still a hard fought match, but it didn't have my on the edge of my seat like the first half did. Still, it's possibly Strong's most creative match. 3 3/4 Stars.

Human Tornado w/Candice LaRae vs Claudio Castagnoli
    In all honesty, Tornado could be the worst wrestler of all time, but I'd still look forward to his matches as long as Candice is out there. Enough of my nearly stalker level crush. Besides showcasing Claudio's freakish strength, this match was more of angle progression with Tornado acting more of a heel by mistreating Candice. I feel like I say this a lot, but Candice takes so many nasty bumps that you generally don't see women in wrestling take. Overall, it's a fun match that really accomplishes the goal of making Tornado look like a first class asshole. 3 Stars.

Kikutaro vs Matt Classic
    Kikutaro or any of the other thousand names he's used is easily one of my guilty pleasures in wrestling. The guy may not have much skill, but damn if he isn't hilarious. Seeing as I gave up watching WSX after the second episode, I never got around to watching Colt Cabana as Matt Classic. It's typical Cabana goofiness, but in an old school manner. Some good funny spots such as all three men (Including the ref) were low blowed and fell over at the same time. It's not as funny as Cabana vs Daniels, but I don't think I've disliked any Kikutaro matches and this is no exception. Just like Cabana vs Daniels, I can't rate this.

Kevin Steen vs Jack Evans
    Pretty much as you'd expect. Evans is bouncing off flying all around while Steen brutalizes him with power moves. Maybe it was because they were on such a big show while being one of the lesser important matches, but it felt as if they may have been holding back some. I thought the match would have been a little better than it was. Still, it was fun and the move Steen used to finish off Evans (Turnbuckle Steenalizer) was pretty nasty looking. Good undercard match, but that's about it. 3 Stars.

The Dynasty vs Frankie Kazarian, Top Gun Talwar, TJ Perkins and Ronin
    So I guess Scorpio Sky was already gone from the Dynasty at this point. He attacked a fake Scorpio Sky, leaving Karl Anderson to be the fourth men along with Joey Ryan, Scott Lost and the greatness that is Chris Bosh. There should really be an official rule in wrestling. If you're going to have a match that clocks in at over twenty minutes, you need to make sure you have wrestlers in the match that's capable of working a long match. Especially on the face side, you didn't have that. It didn't help matters that the wrestlers weren't sure whether to make this a comedy match or more straight up wrestling. So instead, you have a lot of comedy with some poor wrestling that went on too long. One of the bright spots in the match was referee Rick Knox getting a pin on Joey Ryan. Once the rules go out the window and everyone takes turns hitting their moves, the match improves some. But still, it's not a match I'd really want to watch again. Shave ten minutes off and it could have been halfway good comedy match. 2 Stars.

Kaz Hayashi vs Alex Shelley
    Somewhat of a dream match, especially with how similar Shelley and Kaz are. This one had moments of greatness, but it wouldn't stay at that level for long. Kaz works on the arm of Shelley some early on, but Shelley stops selling it. So Kaz begins working on the knee including launching Shelley into the guard rail, forcing Shelley's knee in between the rails. There's a lot of great work that goes into hurting the knee, but Shelley often times goes back and forth on whether he should sell it or not. If your knee is so bad that you can barely climb to the top rope, your knee should keep you from being able to run around to hit moves. There's several moments of fighting spirit that is great for creating more excitement, but Shelley looks really weird doing it. I saw a lot of Hayashi in WCW in the late 90's and early 2000's, but I was never really impressed. However, he's so much better than he was in WCW. The guy has attitude and knows to work on body parts. I imagine he and Bryan Danielson could have worked one hell of a match. While the match was long enough to tell a story, they could have taken 2-3 minutes off as it started to drag on right at the end. Still, it's a pretty entertaining match with Kaz impressing the hell out of me. I just wished Shelley would have been on his game more. 3 1/2 Stars.

Low-Ki vs Davey Richards
    This is a dream match for me. I just wish it could have happened in 2009. This is also Ki's PWG debut. Might as well go to PWG. He already burned his bridges in ROH. Ki doesn't take Davey too seriously early on, so we have a fairly uneventful first 5 or so minutes. Davey Gets in a lot of offense, showing up Ki. This only pisses Ki off to the extent he tries to kill Davey. I don't know what was up with Ki, but out of the two of them, he was surprisingly, the weak link. Several of his kicks and chops were either botched or didn't even connect. We do get some stretches of time where the action is pretty great. The end result sees Ki getting the win after a double stomp while Davey is in the tree of woe. Even with Ki being a little weaker than usual, he still kicked a lot of ass. From what I've seen of Ki in PWG, this is one of his weaker matches. That's not a bad thing. 3 1/2 Stars.

El Generico (c) vs PAC - PWG World Title
    The big rematch that was one of the main reasons why I checked out this show. Unlike in their first match, they actually take things easy early on, so that we get some build before the crazy spots begin. The main story of the match is despite being champion and in control, Generico is so easily surprised by PAC and his spots that Generico's the underdog in the match. Excalibur gives us a lesson on how mouth guards can actually help prevent concussions. He tells a story of how Quicksilver's career came to an end because he was too poor to buy mouth guards. So instead, he just used orange wedges. Sadly, Quicksilver began eating it during a match, thus taking away his protection. The final ten or so minutes is one insane spot after another. Excalibur makes the odd prediction that the top rope brainbuster may not be enough to put PAC away since it wasn't enough to put Davey away at Album of the Year. Never mind the fact that PAC lost to Generico thanks to the top rope brainbuster at ASW 4. PAC hits a corkscrew moonsault, but only gets two. He goes back up for a 720 splash, but Generico moved out of the way. PAC looks dead. The fans even chant "Please don't die". Generico covers, but PAC kicks out. A few minutes later, PAC gets a half and half on the apron, but once again kicks out. I bring these two spots up because how perfect of a moment they were to end the match, either one of them. Generico attempts a top rope brainbuster, but botches it to where PAC's head barely touches the middle turnbuckle. Excalibur tries to claim that he connected, but it's clear it wasn't with any force. That's enough to get Generico the win. When it comes to having a spotty match, you need to know when to end it. Ending it with the botched brainbuster as opposed to the other two huge spots hurt the match a little bit. Still, I enjoyed it more than their first match. Even though the first ten minutes were just some blow job sequences to waste time, it still helped me get into the spots once they came. I'm starting to think that PAC is just a little too spotty for my tastes. I'm sure others enjoy him more than me. 3 3/4 Stars.

Overall
    One of the better PWG shows I've seen. There was a good mix of high flying, brawling, hard striking, comedy and even physical violence on women. The one thing it's missing is that one great technical match. Ki/Richards and Strong/Romero had glimpses of it, but they were more hard strikes than mat wrestling. It's a shame that Danielson was still taking time off after his injury, a match with him could have filled that void.

Worth Checking Out
    Roderick Strong vs Rocky Romero
    Davey Richards vs Low-Ki
    Kaz Hayashi vs Alex Shelley
    El Generico vs PAC

Avoid
    The Dynasty vs Kazarian, Talwar, Perkins and Ronin (It's not horrible, but it's too long serve as mindless entertainment)
    Last edited by Jim; 07-06-2010 at 12:02 AM.

WAKE UP

Status

Why don't you feel like you can rate a comedy match?

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Why don't you feel like you can rate a comedy match?
    It feels more like a comedy sketch rather than an actual wrestling match. Idk, I'm not really sure how to rate it. The comedy may be good, but the action makes it a pretty bad match. Rather then give it a bad rating, I'd rather just talk about whether I like it or not. For what it counts, it was a pretty funny match.
    ----

Horror Business
    October 21, 2006

Davey Richards opens up the show talking about how his BOLA win is nice and all, but he cares more about winning the PWG Tag Team titles again. Since Super Dragon decided to not wait for him (Dragon won the tag team titles with B-Boy at the last show), he's found a new partner in Roderick Strong. Davey and Roddy will challenge the tag champions at the next show, regardless of who wins in the main event tonight.

Rocky Romero vs TJ Perkins
    Nice, I've been wanting to see early Perkins in a singles match against someone half way decent. This is mostly just an exhibition match, with neither guy having any issues with the other. The match borders on MMA as both men are taking their time looking for spots to lock in holds. Perkins comes close to pulling off the upset a few times, but Romero turns all Kurt Angle-like with refusing to let Perkins out of the Ankle Lock. Perkins is forced to tap out. Nothing great here, but just a fun showcase of what both men can do in a match without hatred. Good way to open up the show. 2 3/4 Stars.

Ronin vs SHINGO
    I'm starting to think that Steve and Capone are right about Ronin. While he isn't horrible, he isn't very good. SHINGO is still rocking out the mustache and mullet, making it seem as if Japan is only just now getting access to 80's American pop culture. It's your basic power vs power wrestler. There's not really anything in the match that was memorable up until the end. Ronin picks up the win with two DVD's. Personally, the result was pretty shocking. I figured SHINGO would be the obvious winner. 2 Stars.

Human Tornado vs Chris Bosh
    The show picks up as I get to get my Candice fix. Before the match, Chris Bosh cuts a promo eluding to the fact that Tornado will end up like Kerry Von Erich if he doesn't walk away - dead by a gunshot. That's kind of...inappropriate. Back and forth match with Bosh making it entertaining with his random antics. Bosh hits a short arm closeline and mumbles to himself "Jake the Snake move." Bosh tries to hit his punch to the balls move, but it doesn't have any effect on Tornado. Tornado bitch slaps him for it. Candice finds a moment to hit a dropkick while Bosh is sitting in the corner. Bosh gets revenge on her by suplexing her on some chairs on the outside. Damn, Candice really takes some of the bigger bumps each show I see her on. Candice doesn't stay down for long as she hits a nice missile dropkick to Bosh. Tornado hits the DND, but Joey Ryan comes out and pulls Rick Knox out of the ring. The distraction allows Bosh to connect with the the Perfect Plex to beat Tornado. It's a fun match, but more importantly, it continues the feud between Ryan and Tornado. Plus Candice is wearing a black g-string, how can you not love this? 3 Stars.

Scorpio Sky vs Matt Sydal
    A good mix of comedy and serious wrestling. Hanging around with Bosh in the Dynasty seems to have helped Scorpio learn to become a master of random funny comments. It's nothing to go out of your way to watch though. Sydal looks a bit off tonight or maybe he's used to wrestling better opponents. Jade Chung shines in her role of always trying to help out her man, whether by interference or just yelling at the ref to do his job better. The finish comes with Jade hitting Sydal with her boot and a hurt Scorpio reversing a cover to get the win. Perhaps if there was less comedy, the overall quality of the match would have been better. It's about on par with what we've seen so far though. 2 3/4 Stars.

Davey Richards vs Scott Lost
    The fans love Richards in his fight against the Dynasty. I've really been having a difficult time knowing who's a face and who's a heel in most matches. Sometimes it seems as if it changes every show. Richards is on tonight, getting in a ton of stiff kicks. There's a few comedy moments early on, but they're smart enough to know that we've already seen enough, so they keep it pretty serious. Lost has one of the best top rope elbows I've ever seen. It's even prettier than Savage's. They tease Lost winning with an arm bar, but Lost surprisingly gets out of it. Lost hits all of his big moves, but nothing can put away Davey. Davey wins with the Kimura. The Dynasty earns their first loss of the night. Pretty good match, easily the best thus far. 3 1/4 Stars.

B-Boy and Super Dragon (c) vs Kings of Wrestling - PWG Tag Team Titles
    Just like they were at ASW 4 Night 2, B-Boy and Dragon are the ones with the least amount of gold. Claudio and Hero are the reigning CHIKARA, ROH and CZW tag team champions. This was originally supposed to be a triple threat with the Briscoes, but the Briscoes no showed. I'm glad they did because this match was awesome. B-Boy and Dragon were heeling it up while Hero was entertaining by almost acting like a coach by giving Claudio encouragement and tips of how to get out of moves. Despite going thirty minutes, the time flew by fast. As much as I hate Super Dragon, I found myself really liking his role in this match. As average as B-Boy has been, even he looked good in this. A lot of great creative spots by the Kings of Wrestling, but B-Boy is still able to get the pin on Hero with some sort of roll-up. One of the better tag matches I've seen in PWG. 4 Stars.

Joey Ryan (c) vs El Generico - PWG World Title
    We go from one great title defense to a lackluster one. I've come to the conclusion that Joey's title defenses are only good when he's wrestling good wrestlers in brawls. Sadly, this is not one of those. Like most Ryan title defenses I've seen, not much happens besides Joey's stalling. Generico has a fun moment where he allows some of the fans to slap Joey. He tried to get a little girl who Ryan yelled at earlier in the match to do it, but she ran away. One moron guy in a Generico mask tried to work a slap several times. Like fuck dude, they wouldn't do this spot if they knew Ryan couldn't handle slaps. If you're going to slap him, SLAP him. You're not a part of the act, don't try to work the slap. I know Ryan's work went a lot softer after his concussion from Super Dragon, but he takes a lot worse moves than a slap. In typical Joey fashion, the ending is overloaded with hi-jinx so he can retain the title. First you have Rick Knox getting hit with the Olé Kick. This brings out Scorpio Sky and Jade Chung. Generico easily takes care of Sky though. Chung passes Ryan some sort of spray bottle to which he sprays in the eyes of Generico. Generico disappears (I assume pushed under the ring by Scorpio Sky?) and Bosherico comes out wearing an old Generico mask. Ryan pins Bosherico to retain the title. Ah, so the Bosh wearing different wrestler's looks to help Ryan wasn't just an one time deal. For an undercard match, it's good enough. However, for a World Title and main event? It fails to deliver, especially when all but one match on this show was better. I guess even Generico can't work wonders. It truly amazes me how much Joey Ryan entertains me these days when he was so bad as champion. 2 1/2 Stars.

Overall
    Not one of the better PWG shows. However, it's understandable why this show isn't big. They just got done with BOLA a couple of shows ago, All Star Weekend 4 weekend is the next couple of shows. That means two of the biggest weekends of the year in within three months of each other. You still get a damn good tag title match and a couple of other good matches. Nothing is too horrible though.

Worth Checking Out
    Kings of Wrestling vs B-Boy and Super Dragon
    Davey Richards vs Scott Lost

Avoid
    Ronin vs SHINGO
    Last edited by Jim; 07-06-2010 at 12:01 AM.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

Goodness.....I hated the fuck out of Ronin's undefeated streak. Him going over Shingo and Super Dragon was fucking stupid. I understand trying to give PWG the face they needed after Dragon was pretty much over with but Ronin was not that guy....AT ALL! Goodness I hated him.

And Jim, ExCab was pretty horrible during commentary pre-live so you got to understand to no sell him till then. That Brainbuster comment made 0 sense.

And Jim, ExCab was pretty horrible during commentary pre-live so you got to understand to no sell him till then. That Brainbuster comment made 0 sense.
    Unless a match is pretty boring, I always watch PWG with the commentary off if possible. Either the commentary is hard to understand or they're just going crazy entertaining themselves. I only heard a small snippet of what they were saying during the Guerrilla Warfare match between Steen and Dragon, but I know had I listened to the commentary the first time I watched the match, I wouldn't have loved it as much as I did.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

Pretty much how I feel about commentary REGARDLESS of live or not live. Shingo/Generico didn't ring for me when the commentary was on but when it was off, everything was fucking AMAZING! Only reason I would ever suggest commentary is if Dino is on. He is funny and marks out like a fat kid(No pun) who just got a flat screen made out of chocolate when shit happens.

Pretty much how I feel about commentary REGARDLESS of live or not live. Shingo/Generico didn't ring for me when the commentary was on but when it was off, everything was fucking AMAZING! Only reason I would ever suggest commentary is if Dino is on. He is funny and marks out like a fat kid(No pun) who just got a flat screen made out of chocolate when shit happens.
    I'm not sure if I've ever heard Dino commentate a match. The marking out was one thing I really disliked about Disco Machine and Excalibur. Their excitement sounded so fake and forced.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

Excab didn't really ring well unless he was thrown with a guest or Dino. Other then that, he was pretty dreadful. I can say now though, he has seemed to found his calling card but he still has his some(minor) flaws. I will say he commented the hell out of Steenrico/Bucks tho.

For Dino, are there any good matches to watch just to hear him at his best?

WAKE UP

Status

I like listening to Excalibur and Disco calling their own matches, that is usually pretty damn funny, otherwise commentary stays firmly off.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Widmore View Post
    For Dino, are there any good matches to watch just to hear him at his best?
    Super Dragon and Davey Richards vs. Roderick Strong & Jack Evans

Probably not his best but it was hilarious and I didn't hate Disco Machine for the first time.

DDT4
    May 22, 2009

The Hybrid Dolphins vs The Dynasty
    A real solid way to start the program. The Dynasty controlled the early going due to jumping the Dolphins with a sneak attack. This was an old school sort of match up until the end with the Dynasty just controlling the pace and heeling it up. Scott Lost is just a highlight reel of great looking moves. The ending with the Dolphins making both men submit was a favorable way to end the first match and leave the fans happy. One of the better shorter matches from PWG in 2009 (Shortest tag match of the night). 3 Stars.

The Men of Low Moral Fiber vs Dark and Lovely
    The booking of this match is just bizarre. This is Omega and Taylor’s debut as a team. Since PWG has some plans for them, they naturally get a lot of time to showcase what they can do. That’s fine and makes perfect sense. However, being the two newest heels in the company, their antics were mostly just getting cheers, so it didn’t feel right. Since there was so much comedy by Omega and Taylor, it made Scorpio and Tornado look weak since they were on the defensive for such a long time. Had it been a team like Los Luchas, that would have been fine. However, this was the former PWG World Champion and tag champion. Finally, the match is mostly just a comedic showcase for Omega/Taylor’s debut. Despite this, the match goes on for over fifteen minutes. Really, all you needed was about 5-8 minutes to tell debut the team. The final two or so minutes saves the match from being bad, but it’s still a very poorly booked match. Men of Low Moral Fiber are very over though. 2 Stars.

The Young Bucks (c) vs The Cutlers – PWG Tag Team Titles
    Despite a rough beginning with plenty of pauses to set up moves, this turned out pretty well. I’ll give credit to the teams having so much experience together, the Cutlers knowing how to be heels and the crowd being so into it. Out of the three heel teams in the first round, The Cutlers are much more like the Dynasty in knowing they shouldn’t be trying to get pops. The match broke down into a typical Bucks match with all four men hitting their moves. Matt Jackson was the illegal man, but got the pin. It’s disappointing to see that happen, but it happens so often in these kinds of matches that I’ve grown to be numb by it. I preferred the first match a little more since it stuck to the rules more, but this was still a lot of fun. 3 Stars.

Malachi Jackson vs Phoenix Star
    This is CK’s debut. If that didn’t spell out that this match would suck, the fact that one half of Los Luchas is his opponent. Several botches in this one with Phoenix actually looking like the better wrestler. That just tells you how bad Jackson is at this point. CK gets in a bunch of his flippy lucha moves that looks so contrived. Phoenix kicks out of the Shooting Star Press that just kills the credibility of the move. Phoenix wins to finally end this match. The crowd seemed to be partially into this, but that’s the only saving grace. At least it was kept short. Probably my least favorite PWG match of 2009. 1 Star.

The Young Bucks (c) vs The Men of Low Moral Fiber – PWG Tag Team Titles
    The Bucks and PWG’s decision to continue to book the Bucks in the same formula match time in and time out ends up biting them in the ass with this. Having so many near falls that the Bucks somehow kick out of will end up creating some falls that are questionable. So when Omega and Taylor seem to have the belts won on a few occasions, but for their to be a kick out, the fans turn on the champions. Outside of their repeated formula, the Bucks are capable of putting on an exciting match with Omega and Taylor. I preferred their Against the Grain match a bit more, but this is still a solid tag match. The fans booing the hell out of the Bucks once the match is over is a sight to see though. 3 1/4 Stars.

The Hybrid Dolphins vs The Motor City Machine Guns
    With so much of the same thing on this show, this just makes me appreciate Danielson and Strong even more. The first half is just some solid mat wrestling with the Guns mostly in control. It eventually breaks down into the typical frenzy ending that PWG is known for, but there’s enough substance to enjoy it. Danielson’s out of nowhere submission victory over Sabin earns the match bonus points for providing a non-played out finish. 3 1/2 Stars.

Chris Hero (c) w/Candice LaRae vs Joey Ryan – PWG World Title
    I heard some negative things about this match, so I’ve been putting off seeing it. As it turns out, I shouldn’t have listened to those people because this match had some great action. The real quality stuff begins midway in when Hero gets hurt. With every hit, he’s reacting as if he’s either coughing up a lung or is about to puke. You’re not just thinking that Ryan could win, but that he could seriously injury the champion. Unlike most of the other matches on this show, the bout has a clear story. Hero’s just trying to hang in there long enough before his body completely gives out on him. For Ryan, while he’s in control for most of the match, he constantly needs to worry about elbows coming out of nowhere. As he finds out the hard way, one well placed surprise elbow and you can be finished. Proving that the Reseda fans are some of the worse in America, a group heckles Hero throughout most of the match. On a night when he wasn’t even supposed to defend the title, Hero ends up putting on a very well booked match. On top of that, it creates some decent build for their Guerrilla Warfare Match. While Hero may have won, the question was if he could beat Ryan when Ryan didn’t have to wrestle twice in one night. Not quite as enjoyable as their Threemendous II match, but it’s still the best Hero title defense of 2009 at that point. 3 3/4 Stars.

The Young Bucks (c) vs The Hybrid Dolphins – PWG Tag Team Titles
    What do you do when we’ve already seen two formula Bucks matches? The answer is allow Danielson to beat the shit out of the champions. This felt a lot like a tag team version of Danielson’s great meeting with El Generico at Giant Sized Annual #4. Danielson’s hard hitting is forcing the Bucks to prove that they’re man enough to call themselves champions. They still ended up doing some formula near the end, but it wasn’t enough to hurt the match much. While I still need to see a few title defenses during the Bucks’ reign, this is currently my favorite defense of theirs. Hands down, tag team match of the year for PWG. Meanwhile, it’s a MOTYC for the company as well. 4 1/4 Stars.

Overall
    Best PWG show of 2009? Quite possibly. If you're going to credit one person for making it happen, make it Danielson. The guy wrestled three tag matches and made each one a little different from the others. Chris Hero and Joey Ryan's PWG Title match is the other reason that this may be the best show. Being one of two singles matches of the night, it allowed the fans to enjoy something other than tag team wrestling. Still, this show really showcases how formula based the Bucks are. It's not really a surprise that the fans turning on them started on this either.

Worth Checking Out
    The Dynasty vs Dolphins
    Joey Ryan vs Chris Hero
    The Dolphins vs The Bucks
    MCMG vs The Dolphins

Avoid
    Malachi Jackson vs Phoenix Star
    Kenny Omega and Chuck Taylor vs The Young Bucks
    Last edited by Jim; 07-06-2010 at 12:01 AM.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information